Sal too thin tips on spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Officer2516

Sal too thin tips on spyderco

Post by Officer2516 »

Hey sal and spyderco family I want to give an advice to make para 3 and all paramilitary series with thicker tips I'm first responder and I carry everyday para 3 the tip is too thin so I just wanted to ask if you want to maybe try to produce para 3 or paramilitary 2 with saber grind
Guys let me know if you have any problems as I do with spyderco thin tips I don't pry with my knives but I definetly want use my blade in self defense if necessary but if I ever have to stab someone or slash the tip will probably break inside and spyderco don't offer blade replacement even it will be very good if the did I will be happy to send my spyderco in to get new scales or blade if broken and also spyderco should consider let their customers customize blades online on their webpage
sal

Re: Sal too thin tips on spyderco

Post by sal »

Hi Officer,

Welcome to our forum.

We don't have too many tips breaking unless you pry with them.

sal
Officer2516

Post by Officer2516 »

Thanks for answering my question sal
I'm moving to golden Colorado in few months now I live in Georgia so I will be close to spyderco I already submitted application for employment with your great company
vivi

Post by vivi »

I like the thin tips. I've never had one break.
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Welcome to the forum Officer. :)

Man, I'm hearing you! You have to wonder what Spyderco are thinking making flimsy tip knives like they do. :confused:

Tuesday, just gone I was accosted in the street by a mob of Jihadists in a white Toyota Land Cruiser with a .50 Cal mounted on the back, flying a black flag and waving Bear Grylls survival knives and all I had was a PM3 in the mail (compliments Australia Post). :eek:

Mate, I won't bore you with details but when the dust settled Muggins here was the last bloke standing. As it went I had a bit of bark off my knuckles and I was ropeable because I blew out one of the new Havaianas I was wearing but I'm immensely grateful to Australia Post cause I reckon no way the tip on the PM3 would have survived if I had it in my pocket. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, on a lighter note I had a few drinks with Sal this arvo and he's very excited at the prospect of working with you and putting an end to this flimsy tip caper once and for all. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

To me, a knife in a self defense situation, knives is like a motorcycle helmet and leathers in an accident. I don't expect mine to survive, just to allow me to survive. If the tip breaks off in my attacker, as long as he's DOA and I'm not, I'll just figure that my life was worth more than the $100 to $300 replacement cost and cheerfully buy a new one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Also, wouldn't a knife used in a fight scenario be seized by the police, used as evidence and then destructed?
(regardless if your the attacker or victim)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Officer2516

Post by Officer2516 »

Not true at all yes your knife or firearm is seized but returned after the investigation and courts are over that's only if you the one using it for defense if you the attacker your weapon will be store in evidence locker for couple of years and then destroyed
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:To me, a knife in a self defense situation, knives is like a motorcycle helmet and leathers in an accident. I don't expect mine to survive, just to allow me to survive. If the tip breaks off in my attacker, as long as he's DOA and I'm not, I'll just figure that my life was worth more than the $100 to $300 replacement cost and cheerfully buy a new one.

Exactly what I came here to post, nearly word for word. And as an added bonus, the thinner blade will perform better when actually cutting things. It's a win win. The tip is stronger than you think, as long as you aren't prying with it or using it as a screwdriver it'll be fine.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Evil D wrote:
The Deacon wrote:To me, a knife in a self defense situation, knives is like a motorcycle helmet and leathers in an accident. I don't expect mine to survive, just to allow me to survive. If the tip breaks off in my attacker, as long as he's DOA and I'm not, I'll just figure that my life was worth more than the $100 to $300 replacement cost and cheerfully buy a new one.

Exactly what I came here to post, nearly word for word. And as an added bonus, the thinner blade will perform better when actually cutting things. It's a win win. The tip is stronger than you think, as long as you aren't prying with it or using it as a screwdriver it'll be fine.
100%

I couldn't agree more!

I find it hard to post a sensible reply to a nonsensical post and granted I probably shouldn't post at all but I feel our friend Officer2516 is simply taking the piss.

"Hey sal and spyderco family I want to give an advice"

"if I ever have to stab someone or slash the tip will probably break inside and spyderco don't offer blade replacement"

I'm certain that if Mr Glesser or any other sane member here wants or needs advice they'll ask for it respectfully as we do. As for stabbing and slashing it's barking farcical!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I probably shouldn't speak for Spyderco but I'd be willing to bet that if someone could actually prove they defended their life with a Spyderco knife and it broke they would probably replace the knife for free.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I'd bet shillings to pence they would!
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

Is English your first language?
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Bloke wrote:Welcome to the forum Officer. :)

Man, I'm hearing you! You have to wonder what Spyderco are thinking making flimsy tip knives like they do. :confused:

Tuesday, just gone I was accosted in the street by a mob of Jihadists in a white Toyota Land Cruiser with a .50 Cal mounted on the back, flying a black flag and waving Bear Grylls survival knives and all I had was a PM3 in the mail (compliments Australia Post). :eek:

Mate, I won't bore you with details but when the dust settled Muggins here was the last bloke standing. As it went I had a bit of bark off my knuckles and I was ropeable because I blew out one of the new Havaianas I was wearing but I'm immensely grateful to Australia Post cause I reckon no way the tip on the PM3 would have survived if I had it in my pocket. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, on a lighter note I had a few drinks with Sal this arvo and he's very excited at the prospect of working with you and putting an end to this flimsy tip caper once and for all. :cool:
I seriously laughed out loud at this. :D
npad69

Post by npad69 »

you understand that dry wood is several times harder than human flesh right?

https://youtu.be/omp5yL8NDhw
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Do you carry around a Ruger Super Redhawk too? This way, worst case, you can bash someone with it since it weighs more than a cinder block. That is, if the 6 .44 magnum rounds you shot at someone from less than 10 feet away were not effective enough. Then, when you go to court and they take your weapon, you can post to Ruger that they should beef up the SRH in case you needed to bludgeon, say, a Kodiak grizzly.

I have never broken a tip on any of my Para's; including the one I have in my pocket that I have used as a pry bar before.
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

npad69 wrote:you understand that dry wood is several times harder than human flesh right?

https://youtu.be/omp5yL8NDhw
But is it harder than the front of a skull? Because this guy is clearly concerned that a knife straight into the forehead may break the tip off.
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Officer2516 wrote:Not true at all yes your knife or firearm is seized but returned after the investigation and courts are over that's only if you the one using it for defense if you the attacker your weapon will be store in evidence locker for couple of years and then destroyed
Spyderco para knives are not exactly difficult to replace unless it is some sprint run, and even then you can replace it if you have the cash. I would just buy a new one if it was destroyed....

If I had a sprint run PM2 destroyed, but I was not dead.... well, I would probably find the cash to replace it.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

ross8425 wrote: But is it harder than the front of a skull? Because this guy is clearly concerned that a knife straight into the forehead may break the tip off.
it is not. according to the "walking dead" tv series
you'll never know when the op is going to end up suddenly in the presence of a zombie horde
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

npad69 wrote:
ross8425 wrote: But is it harder than the front of a skull? Because this guy is clearly concerned that a knife straight into the forehead may break the tip off.
it is not. according to the "walking dead" tv series
you'll never know when the op is going to end up suddenly in the presence of a zombie horde
:D :D