Chaparral LW Collecting

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Chaparral LW Collecting

Post by Doc Dan »

I'm really in love with the new Chap LW. I even love the color. What I am hoping for is a new color release every now and then so I can collect them all. I hope they do a dark blue next time as blue was the next most requested color to dark grey.

Yes, I am getting ahead of the game, but FRN color changes should be easy to do.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
this_is_nascar

Re: Chaparral LW Collecting

Post by this_is_nascar »

I can't imagine you'll see additional FRN colors for the Chaparral. The next iteration will more than likely be an entirety different scale material.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Skittles!!! :D
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd be in. I've currently got all the Chaps, and I'd love to see multiple FRN colors. I'd collect all of those, too. I usually carry the CF version, but varying FRN colors might mean I'd buy a user in a color I liked to carry.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Taichung works with quite a few steels and there have been some sprints and exclusives from there. I could see the LW Chap as a good candidate for a limited run.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

It really is a great knife. And shockingly, given that the Delica is up to $75, and the Chaparral FRN is $90, it's a potential Delica-killer for many people. The fit-and-finish and materials improvements are *way* more than $15 worth of difference, not to mention the sliceyness.

If Japanese Spydercos keep going up, it could be that Spyderco's best-bang-for-buck lineup becomes FRN Chaparral on the I-value-easy-carry-more-than-hard-use side, then Native if you want Beefier, then PM2 if you want beefier, then Shaman.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
timlara

Post by timlara »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Taichung works with quite a few steels and there have been some sprints and exclusives from there. I could see the LW Chap as a good candidate for a limited run.
I love this idea. Would be a cool test bed for a steel that can support a super thin edge. Fits my grip a little better than the Dragonfly and I really like the new FRN texture.
Tim
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I agree Nick. The superior lockup alone is worth the extra money and on top of that you get XHP instead of VG10. I like VG10 but for me XHP is better in every way. You also get thinner blade stock and a choil. Well worth the $13 difference.

You could also compare it to the S30V Delica since in my experience XHP and S30V are in a similar class. Then the difference is less than a dollar.

Chaparral LW $87.72
Delica5 S30V $86.95
Delica5 $74.72

Difference is $13 for VG10 and $0.77 for S30V.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

NickShabazz wrote:It really is a great knife. And shockingly, given that the Delica is up to $75, and the Chaparral FRN is $90, it's a potential Delica-killer for many people. The fit-and-finish and materials improvements are *way* more than $15 worth of difference, not to mention the sliceyness.
I understand the point but cant agree on a whole because when you get a Delica (or any other knife) you don't get steel and tolerances, you get a design that may or may not be more adequate to your hands and your needs.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Taichung works with quite a few steels and there have been some sprints and exclusives from there. I could see the LW Chap as a good candidate for a limited run.
This! I've said all along that I'd love to see this as a platform for some sprints/exclusives with different steels. Whether Spyderco will break with their model of just showcasing handle materials with the Chap is yet to be seen. But I think it would be a great option.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to see the Chap in different steels, but I doubt Spyderco will deviate from the original intent of the line.

And ditto--I see no reason to buy a Delica when I can have a Chap, but that's just me--different folks and all that.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Delica used to be my most carried knife. Since I got the Chap LW I have not carried a Delica once.

I would love to see other colors, but other steel options would be a good idea, too. K390 or some odd ball steel we have not yet tried would be great.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I need to stop reading this thread :D I can't afford another knife this month lulz. Better than the delica you say? I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious to see for myself.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I need to stop reading this thread :D I can't afford another knife this month lulz. Better than the delica you say? I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious to see for myself.
For a pocket knife, it is much better. There are applications where a Delica would make more sense, but not many. For my day to day uses the ChLW is the best knife.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:The Delica used to be my most carried knife. Since I got the Chap LW I have not carried a Delica once.

I would love to see other colors, but other steel options would be a good idea, too. K390 or some odd ball steel we have not yet tried would be great.

I was convinced that the K390 Urban was your mosr carried :confused: Since you mentioned the Delica, why do you favor the Chappie over it ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Wow, this thread has wondered in all different directions, considering it started as only a "Hey, I'd like to see the FRN Chaparral available in different color FRN scales".

Not an exact quote, but the jist of the original post.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

NickShabazz wrote:It really is a great knife. And shockingly, given that the Delica is up to $75, and the Chaparral FRN is $90, it's a potential Delica-killer for many people. The fit-and-finish and materials improvements are *way* more than $15 worth of difference, not to mention the sliceyness.

If Japanese Spydercos keep going up, it could be that Spyderco's best-bang-for-buck lineup becomes FRN Chaparral on the I-value-easy-carry-more-than-hard-use side, then Native if you want Beefier, then PM2 if you want beefier, then Shaman.
agreed, but I'd say the low end of the scale starts with the k390 Urban.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

It just begs for a Cutlery Shoppe exclusive!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:The Delica used to be my most carried knife. Since I got the Chap LW I have not carried a Delica once.

I was convinced that the K390 Urban was your mosr carried :confused: Since you mentioned the Delica, why do you favor the Chappie over it ?
The ULW is still in a close second place. I have it with me now as I type. But that Chaparral, with the thin slicing blade and a good back lock is very appealing. It is thinner and lighter in weight. It has a slightly longer blade that is useful for slicing off thin slices of apples. If I had to choose one of these, I wouldn't want to do so. However, overall I think (right now) that I would take the Chaparral. I like this iteration quite a bit.

As for the Delica, I still love it. The Chaparral just fits the role of a pocket knife much better. It is smaller, slimmer, and yet has nearly as long of a blade. In fact, overall size on the Chaparral is not much larger than the Dragonfly. It is a lot of efficient in size. If I had to do a lot of really hard cutting, then the Delica would get the nod, but the Chaparral wins every other contest.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
luxrising

Post by luxrising »

The day the FRN Chap was available I emailed Cutlery Shoppe inquiring about an orange FRN exclusive - I was pleasantly surprised when the response was that they had already been in communication with Spyderco about this and that they would like to make it happen. I was also told there were preexisting exclusives in the pipeline and it would be a while before we see an exclusive Chap.