2018 Spyderco Resolutions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

2018 Spyderco Resolutions

Post by Surfingringo »

So with the new year looming, I thought I would make a Spyderco related New Year's resolution. Here's the deal, I am very pragmatic by nature and a bit of a minimalist. As a result I tend to only buy knives that I can come up with a good reason to own. Like I have to be able to tell myself that it will in some way outperform what I already own at a given task that I need to perform. Now don't get me wrong, even within those guidelines I still buy all kinds of knives that I don't really need. If I only owned what I needed I'd have a Pacific Salt, a Waterway and a fillet knife. No, I buy knives every year that I don't strictly "need" but I never just buy a knife that appeals to my inner kid. Well this year, that is going to change.

My New Year's resolution is this year I will buy at least one knife that I have no excuse for buying other than I want it. I am going to try to put my practical nature aside and look through the catalog like I would have when I was 10. I'm going to just have myself a "Woah, that one looks cool!" moment and hit the button. Currently the top two on my "woah, that one looks cool" list are the Lil' Subhilt and the Respect. We may not see the Respect this year, but the Subhilt is ready to go. I'm going to start the year off with a bang! :)

What about you guys? Anybody else want to make a Spydie resolution? Maybe you want to commit to using your knives more? Complete a collection? Become a better sharpener? Share em if you've got em.
xceptnl

Re: 2018 Spyderco Resolutions

Post by xceptnl »

My Spyderco resolution is to buy more variants of my favorites and to add more fixed blades to my collection.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't really do resolutions, I typically just try to push myself outside my comfort zone and either learn or experience something that makes me a better person as often as I can. Knife wise I've take to carrying SE for work, not 100% sure how that's gonna work out but I'm feeling pretty optimistic about it so far. I have a few new models on my radar but I think 2018 will be the year I finally thin the herd a bit.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Buy more DLC blades...Cuz I like em'!!
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Keep buying spydies is my resolution
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Keep buying spydies is my resolution
Ditto me on that! :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

Surfingringo wrote: Maybe you want to commit to using your knives more?
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

sorry, couldn't resist
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

I’ve been big into sharpening and have gotten a KME, and getting close to a mirror finish. I want to keep that up. And stop buying when I’m stressed at work.
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
christopher

Post by christopher »

I am the opposite of ConspicuousConsumption, I buy them when I am stressed. Good for the heart. Makes me relax playing with a new Spydie.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

ConspicuousConsumption wrote:I’ve been big into sharpening and have gotten a KME, and getting close to a mirror finish. I want to keep that up. And stop buying when I’m stressed at work.
Working on my sharpening skills in 2018 is a goal I’m carrying over from 2017. I got decently good at freehand sharpening VG10 this year and picked up some M4 to play with. I’ve been in my dad’s shadow forever, he put a crazy edge on the ZDP Stretch I gave him the first time he put it to his well used Arkansas stone. This is the year I finally catch him.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Keep buying spydies is my resolution

I'm with you on that! Same as me.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Lance, would you ever consider getting a Whale Rescue blade and putting it to various uses and video recording the use so we can see how it works at the various tasks you put it to use in?

Or is that one very narrow in its application, basically cutting free sea creatures from cords?
Skoalart

Post by Skoalart »

Hopsbreath wrote: Working on my sharpening skills in 2018 is a goal I’m carrying over from 2017. I got decently good at freehand sharpening VG10 this year and picked up some M4 to play with. I’ve been in my dad’s shadow forever, he put a crazy edge on the ZDP Stretch I gave him the first time he put it to his well used Arkansas stone. This is the year I finally catch him.
I want to work on my freehand sharpening for sure. I have a straight razor that I can shave with and I have refined my stropping skills on, but I need to get some stone time with some of my folders. I need to get some diamond hones for my lansky setup so I can play with my M4 and soon s110v. This year I want to better explore the world of premium and super premium blade steels.

I want to face the challenges of life with an open mind and more optimistic perception than I previously had.
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

Sharpening here. I need to watch my Sharpmaker video, ruin a couple of cheap knives and then get down to business. Got the SM from my wife for Christmas buy haven’t spent any time with it over the holidays.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Try too only buy one or two Spydies this year. We’ll see how this goes..haha
Josh
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I thought about this last week - I own 100 and something Spydercos of which I actually carried only 27 in 2017 (more than I thought actually).

Rather than dream about the possible variations in all the latest steels and the upsized this and the downsized that I'm going to scratch around in the collection and actually use and appreciate what I have (in addition to enjoying the new stuff that will invariably come along).

It starts today with a Walker Lightweight in AUS8 that I found in a little cutlery shop while on holiday. So in addition to giving me some cutting capability in my pocket, it is giving good memories of that particular holiday.

Edit to add :

'cos threads need pictures and my other resolution is to get photos on the web again after the Photobucket mess last year.
Last edited by PSquared on Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

PSquared wrote:I'm going to scratch around in the collection and actually use and appreciate what I have (in addition to enjoying the new stuff that will invariably come along)...
This!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Lance, would you ever consider getting a Whale Rescue blade and putting it to various uses and video recording the use so we can see how it works at the various tasks you put it to use in?

Or is that one very narrow in its application, basically cutting free sea creatures from cords?
Hey SEF, I am on the ocean most days but honestly, I don’t have any more uses for the whale rescue blade than the next guy. We’ve got tons of Humpbacks here and I see them daily when they are migrating but we don’t have much netting and I’ve never heard of one being ensnared or distressed around here. The only thing I could imagine using one for is cutting mangos out of the treetops. :p Even that though is easier with a cable loop on a long pole. If I thought there was even a 1 in 1000 chance of running across a whale in need of help I would carry one but I think it is unlikely in the extreme. If it happens I’m willing to jump in with a serrated Pacific Salt and help if I can.
Last edited by Surfingringo on Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

tripscheck'em wrote:
Surfingringo wrote: Maybe you want to commit to using your knives more?
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

sorry, couldn't resist
That :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Last year I made a resolution to only buy Spyderco knives that really appealed to me. No more buying knives I’m kinda on the fence about. If I don’t immediately love it, I don’t buy it. It worked well last year, so I’m sticking to it again this year.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra