Spyderco Taichung Taiwan Knife question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
btbyrd

Re: Spyderco Taichung Taiwan Knife question

Post by btbyrd »

Drewthebrave wrote:
btbyrd wrote: ...may as well have been made on the moon. If you're hundreds or thousands of miles away, does it really matter if the jobs your purchase helps support are in Golden or Seki, Taichung or Maniago? It sure doesn't to me. I have about as much of a community tie to the people of Golden as I do to the people of Taichung: none at all.
Perhaps that's why they specify EARTH on their blades. We're all in this crazy rat race together, no matter where we call "home".

Exactly. The only tribe worth being a tribalist about is humanity.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

ChrisinHove wrote:
TomAiello wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:
TomAiello wrote:Spyderco knives are also made in Maniago, and in 5 weeks in Italy this year I saw a total of one local carrying a Spyderco. One of the (military) guards at the Coliseum had a PM2. Other than that, I didn't see a single one.
He probably also had my SAK, which was confiscated at the security check at the Coliseum in October. Painful, but not as painful as losing a Spydie!
I feel for you. My conversation with him started when he confiscated my Urban K390.
Ow Ow Ow. My SAK was a good one (Handyman) but not that good .... I went back at the end of my visit to take it out of the bin, but the men-with-guns wouldn't allow it.

To be fair, street security in Rome was otherwise top notch, in these occasionally dangerous times - reassuringly meaningful without being oppressive.
I actually asked him to just take it home, because I felt like he might actually appreciate it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Larry_Mott wrote:I have found with most things the people tend to be patriotic or want things exclusive to other countries (the old grass i greener on the other side)
I definitely got a lot of positive comments from French security guards when I had to check in my Opinel while visiting museums and landmarks in Normandy. They all loved the fact that this random American tourist was carrying an Opinel folder.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

TomAiello wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:I have found with most things the people tend to be patriotic or want things exclusive to other countries (the old grass i greener on the other side)
I definitely got a lot of positive comments from French security guards when I had to check in my Opinel while visiting museums and landmarks in Normandy. They all loved the fact that this random American tourist was carrying an Opinel folder.
This is amazing and cool to know and more reason why I believe Spyderco should collaborate with Opinel to make a very super duper Ring Lock, perhaps with FRN handle and VG10 blade.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Drewthebrave wrote:
btbyrd wrote: ...may as well have been made on the moon. If you're hundreds or thousands of miles away, does it really matter if the jobs your purchase helps support are in Golden or Seki, Taichung or Maniago? It sure doesn't to me. I have about as much of a community tie to the people of Golden as I do to the people of Taichung: none at all.
Perhaps that's why they specify EARTH on their blades. We're all in this crazy rat race together, no matter where we call "home".

I always loved that small detail the most of all ;)
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote: This is amazing and cool to know and more reason why I believe Spyderco should collaborate with Opinel to make a very super duper Ring Lock, perhaps with FRN handle and VG10 blade.
I just wish they'd make an Opinel-style slicer with thin blade stock and a long blade. My $20 Opinels run circles around my $200 Spydercos when it comes to cutting anything food related. It's sort of embarrassing.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Do you think the people though who actually work in the manufacturing assembly lines in Taichung and who physically handle the Spyderco knives they are making at least get to purchase them at a discounted price to bring home so they can also enjoy them, and the factory management people? That would be so cool. I have a friend from Taiwan who loves knives and is aware of Spyderco knives and he told me that Taichung is like old Solingen, Germany, as a center of quality knife and cutlery production. I have a diving knife from there and it is lancet-sharp.

He said they also love to eat quality roasted and barbequed chicken and beef and know good seafood, if anyone is into those foods.
I'm not sure how Spyderco's Taiwan factories work, but if they're contractors, rather than full on employees of Spyderco, I doubt they would get any sort of discount. There's also the likelihood that there isn't a way for the them to purchase Spyderco knives on site.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
TomAiello wrote:
This is amazing and cool to know and more reason why I believe Spyderco should collaborate with Opinel to make a very super duper Ring Lock, perhaps with FRN handle and VG10 blade.
Check out Nontron knives - they have a wide range of both traditional and funkier ring lock knives, various wood, Corian handles etc. My favourite was a walking staff with a full sized fixed blade that unscrewed from the handle - tasty.

In fact, check out Nontron the whole town, in the Dordogne, France - two knife manufacturers, a knife museum and an International Knife Fair! I was pleased to see Spyderco represented in the museum, by a Perrin Street Beat, and obviously now want one despite having no need for one whatsoever.