Official 2018 Catalog Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Re: Official 2018 Catalog Discussion

Post by Mr Blonde »

Many interesting new designs coming up next year!
My favorites:
- Native Salt
- Respect, loved this Bowie when I got my hands on the concept model at last year's A'dam Meet. I like its traditional pattern, I see a bit of Fisk and Bagwell in there as well.
- All the sprints......
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Looking forward to the Spyderhawk. I’ve been wanting to try one for a while and I’m glad they went with serrated H1. It sounds like I’m in the minority in liking the blacked out hardware on the Native salt but I think I’d still rather have the Carribean instead. Curious about the steel on the Japanese sprints. I’ll probably try out the Delica.

I believe I read that this years catalog was so large it wouldn’t be including all of the models, so I hope the PM2 and Para 3 are still getting the Maxamet treatment as standard production pieces.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Alright, got the Caly Jr and V-Toku DF2 sprints ordered last night. Also snagged a Chaparral lw off Ebay with the $15-off coupon (this forum is great!). Native Salt looks must have.

Then it gets tough. The Respect and Waterway will get serious consideration (great looking blade Lance!). The Parata looks like a polarizing design, but one I could see being really great in hand and in use. Spyderhawk and Kopa are in the mix, as is the new Clipitool. Probably a few more that may grab me at some point, but that's already enough to get me in trouble lol.

Fantastic job Spydero crew!

I get some of the sentiment of folks being underwhelmed, since a lot of the "new" stuff has been shown and discussed previously, but really this is still a massive and extremely well done catalog (and I'm sure there will be surprises, mid-year, etc). Maybe people would be happier if Spyderco didn't share as much in advance? Lol.
:spyder:
mb1

Post by mb1 »

FWIW...I've been on a bit of a bowie kick this year. Just to help gauge value, if you think that price is high, go take a look around. It's not. You can always find cheap versions of anything, but you get what you pay for.

For example, you could get one in the $150's with a hidden "tang" that turns out to be a wire tang. Customs start around $500 for that size, and easily run up to $1500 (or $3K). Those bring all kinds of wonderful handle materials, hand forging and finishing, etc.

I'm just saying...this is the LOW end of the spectrum for price. Like any Spyderco, it appears to be on the HIGH end for value/bang for the buck.

And lastly, I'd call the Respect a medium sized bowie. Proper fighting bowies get into the 10-11" range.

Carry on! ;) :spyder:
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

embry386 wrote:The DLC version of the Native 5 is now available in plainedge, apparently. (!!)
Where did you see this?

EDIT*- Nevermind found it! This is exciting!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

One this I really like is the fish scale texture on these scales. It looks fantastic.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Gonna save a ton of money next year as there is only one knife in that whole catalog I will buy - the PPT sprint. Already preordered.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My earlier thoughts notwithstanding, I do feel an interest growing for:

• S90V Native5 (would be my first fluted CF and non-Salt linerless handle apparently contoured more like the Shaman to relieve my one Native gripe)

• Native5 Salt (would be the first LC200N I'd take in SE)

• BD1 UKPK (would be a new steel to me and my first drop-point in this model)

• Waterway (would be my first Spydie FB, and one straight out of the world and mind of our best field-tester)
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

embry386 wrote:The DLC version of the Native 5 is now available in plainedge, apparently...
Where are you seeing this?
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank YOU Jesus for using Sal to make this knife!

I love it. This is the "Pocket Sickle" I have been dreaming of and wanting for years. The Spyder Hawk with its H1 nitrogen stainless steel blade and FRN handle is extremely amazing and such a cool cutting-edge tool. I wish that all knife users and knife collectors the world over could appreciate and own a Spyder Hawk.
SpyderEdgeForever

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Thank YOU Jesus for using Sal to make this knife!

I love it. This is the "Pocket Sickle" I have been dreaming of and wanting for years. The Spyder Hawk with its H1 nitrogen stainless steel blade and FRN handle is extremely amazing and such a cool cutting-edge tool. I wish that all knife users and knife collectors the world over could appreciate and own a Spyder Hawk.
Infact this may sound "crazy" to some people but check this out. I believe that God Himself issues some form of "Celestial Spyder Hawk" to his angels. Read these Bible verses from the Book of Revelation:

Revelation 14:14 And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle.

Revelation 14:15 And another angel came out of the temple, crying with a loud voice to him that sat on the cloud, Thrust in thy sickle, and reap: for the time is come for thee to reap; for the harvest of the earth is ripe.

Revelation 14:16 And he that sat on the cloud thrust in his sickle on the earth; and the earth was reaped.

Revelation 14:17 And another angel came out of the temple which is in heaven, he also having a sharp sickle.

Revelation 14:18 And another angel came out from the altar, which had power over fire; and cried with a loud cry to him that had the sharp sickle, saying, Thrust in thy sharp sickle, and gather the clusters of the vine of the earth; for her grapes are fully ripe.

Revelation 14:19 And the angel thrust in his sickle into the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God.

The Sickle in those verses = Spyder Hawk Knife. In Heaven nothing rusts or corrodes, so they use H1 stainless steel.

The originator of this steel (some of you may not know this but here you are) was a man named Benno Strauss. Benno was a German Jewish man who lived in the late 1800s and early 1900s. He worked for the famous Krupp Steel Works in Germany. He and a man named Eduard Mauer were metallurgists and steel engineers. Benno was the originator in the 1910-1912 period of Austenitic Chromium-Nitrogen Stainless Steel alloys. He did his work before Harry Brearley in England came up with a stainless steel recipe.

The Japanese of Hitachi and Myodo Metals decades later resurrected the work of Benno Strauss and updated it a bit to make H1 Stainless steel. Benno became a Jewish believer in Yeshua, the Lord Jesus Christ, his Messiah and the only eternal Saviour. Sadly, here is how he was rewarded, on this earth: When the infamous Nazi Nuremberg Anti "racial mixing" laws took effect, in the 1930s, after Hitler took over, Benno was arrested for being Jewish, and he was murdered in one of the Nazi Death camps.
Decades later after WW2, the German government officially apologized and now in some areas there they have streets named after Mr. Benno Strauss. Evidence was revealed showing that his FELLOW LABORATORY PARTNER: Eduard Maurer, may have been the one to turn him in to Nazi Reich authorities, for to get him out of the way so he, Maurer, could take over the lab and the work. Isn't that horrible?
SpyderEdgeForever

official 2018 catalog discussion

Are any of you looking forward to the Native Salt? It is beautifully made.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

johnson wrote:It's been asked a couple of times and no answers yet ! I'll give it another go ! Where is the Para Military 2 and Para 3 Maxamet models ?
I was also wondering this, they seem to be omitted
tonijedi

Re: official 2018 catalog discussion

Post by tonijedi »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Are any of you looking forward to the Native Salt? It is beautifully made.
I am, but would have preferred to see it available with the all black treatment too.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Slumblor wrote:
johnson wrote:It's been asked a couple of times and no answers yet ! I'll give it another go ! Where is the Para Military 2 and Para 3 Maxamet models ?
I was also wondering this, they seem to be omitted
Para Military 2 Maxamet is listed on Spyderco's website as a new model. It's not listed as a sprint like the other sprint runs are. It takes a long time to put a catalog like Spyderco's together. Just a guess but perhaps the PM2 Maxamet came along too late for them to include it in the new catalog.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C81GDGY2/1094
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

I wonder why no V Toku Wharny Delica? Maybe the HAP40 version bumps it out of the production line?
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
SpyderEdgeForever

tonijedi wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Are any of you looking forward to the Native Salt? It is beautifully made.
I am, but would have preferred to see it available with the all black treatment too.

Would you and anyone else here prefer if Spyderco had made the all black version but with the reddish FRN handle, like that special Fire Department Native Salt, where it has a black blade of lc200n, and with the red FRN handle, preferable to this one that will be released?
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
tonijedi wrote:

Would you and anyone else here prefer if Spyderco had made the all black version but with the reddish FRN handle, like that special Fire Department Native Salt, where it has a black blade of lc200n, and with the red FRN handle, preferable to this one that will be released?
Yes. That red is much darker and it can still be quite neutral for EDC. I like yellow handles but not for EDC. If I had the money I'd buy a yellow knife for outdoor use and a black one for EDC, but as I can't afford that many I'd prefer to have one that I can use on both situations.
SpyderEdgeForever

And that Native Salt is going to be able to withstand any and all rust and corrosion that can be thrown at it.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

thewoodpecker wrote:
embry386 wrote:The DLC version of the Native 5 is now available in plainedge, apparently...
Where are you seeing this?
Go to page 28 that shows the DLC Native, go to the bottom of the page where all the numbers and specs are shown next to a tiny photo of the knife, look at the label near the tip of the blade that says "EDGE: P, PS, S".