Do you ever wish you only had 1 knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ThePeacent

Re: Do you ever wish you only had 1 knife?

Post by ThePeacent »

no, variety is the spice of life.
Out of need, I'd just have one T-Shirt, a pair of pants, one book and a single DVD movie.
Then I'd just replace them when worn, used, read, seen...

no fun in that!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ThePeacent wrote:no, variety is the spice of life.
Out of need, I'd just have one T-Shirt, a pair of pants, one book and a single DVD movie.
Then I'd just replace them when worn, used, read, seen...

no fun in that!
When I was in my first apartment I had this rule where I only had a set of dishes for one person, so one plate/bowl/fork/spoon/glass that way when they got dirty I HAD to wash them. I never had a sink full of dirty dishes :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I think about this every month-or so,problem is every time another knife pops in my mind.Then the other ones start screaming ''dont sell me,you know you love me'',and they dont shut up until i buy them another companion...
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

It's kinda like having only one pair of jeans or one pair of boots or one hound dog. I had a bunch of guns and carried only 2 of them regularly depending on where I was headed. Had a small assortment of knives but never carry anything but one regularly.

Sometimes you'll be on a trip or hunt or whatever and you get sentimental about what you had with you. Some of your stuff takes on personal value and some of it doesn't. But it is still your stuff. Even if it sits in a drawer or in a gun rack it's a good feeling knowing it's there
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Sure. I carried one knife for years and it was some crappy gas station beater. I am happier with just a couple of nice users. This allows me to have a larger PE one for the weekends, a 3" office friendly knife, and a SE one as well. Could I do just one, yeah, but this is nicer.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Evil D wrote:
When I was in my first apartment I had this rule where I only had a set of dishes for one person, so one plate/bowl/fork/spoon/glass that way when they got dirty I HAD to wash them. I never had a sink full of dirty dishes :D
Reminds me of something similar many moons ago
Had a girlfriend leave whilst I was away playing football ( rugby union ) for several weeks. Came back to one 1 knife, fork, spoon, plate etc..
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

Sure, with five 'backups' of the same knife...
vivi

Post by vivi »

wolfgaze wrote:Sure, with five 'backups' of the same knife...
Well of course. Who ever said anything about not buying any more knives? :D

Sitting on a lifetime supply of Pacific Salts in both edge configurations myself.
:unicorn
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Only once or twice, but that feeling went away quickly :D
If I had to limit to one, it would be one with a 3,5 inch blade. Mayby a Stretch 2, PM2 or PPT.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Just found this thread Evil and it describes EXACTLY my mindset. My goal is to get to one. My knife. Down to three pocket knives right now, Dragonfly H1 SE, Salt 1 SE, and an Ambitious. I don't feel too bad about having 3 knives but still it'd be nice to get to the ONE. If I had to decide right now, I'd probably go with the Dragonfly. In reality it would suit me just fine. This video has quieted any fears that it wouldn't be up to any task I'm likely to need to use it for.........https://youtu.be/c-yP762LmI0

quote="Evil D" post_id=1192357 time=1511978408 user_id=15616]
I know that must sound crazy to most of you, but hear me out lol.

I've always liked the idea of having items that I carry for many years and sort of grow with and have history with. Many of the knives I own, I have practically no relationship with. Does that make sense? I've used them all, but it's like we're acquaintances but not old friends and even less are best friends. Having a selection and collecting is fun, but I feel like I've lost that connection or bond that I've had in the past. My grandfather loved that saying, any time someone would ask if he had a knife, he would say "Of course I do, I've got my pants on don't I?" and for as long as I can remember, probably at least as long as I was alive while he still was, he carried the same knife (an old Case). Someday when I'm long gone, I hope my knives are still around and my grandkids inherit them, but it would make me happier if my son could say "THAT was your grandfather's knife, he carried it every day of his life", not "Yeah this is a collection of knives your grandfather had, they spent most of their time in boxes".

My problem is even if I convinced myself to narrow it down to just one knife, I have no idea what it would be. I honestly don't think that knife exists just yet, and that's why I've bought so many over the years. When I joined this forum, back when I knew far less about knives and steels and such, I never owned more than one knife, and that was "my knife" and I was content and perhaps had a bit of that "ignorance is bliss" thing.

My other problem is I hate selling knives. People generally suck and low-ball you to death and since all mine are used I'd feel like I was giving them away.

Anyway. Does anyone else ever feel like this? I keep thinking about a pic that Vivi (I think) posted a while back of a Military, I think it's the old D2 version, with a crazy thin edge and it had a nice patina and just looked so well loved. I appreciate things like that.
[/quote]
vivi

Post by vivi »

I know exactly where you're coming from. Growing up I always had the same swiss army knife on me (Classic at first, then a camper). My grandfather always had the same slipjoint. With everything else - my flashlight, keys, wallet, etc. I make a point to use the same items day to day.

If I could trade my collection for nothing but Pacific Salts, I'd do this. As it is I'm sitting on a bunch of cool knives like my Manix XL and Military that I feel guilty about never using, so I give them pocket time here and there. My SE Pacific Salt is my "one" though, no doubt in my mind.

Maybe the Millie would still be my baby if I still had that D2 version. Miss that knife.
:unicorn
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

At times I wish I haven't got so into this knife thing the past few months...I'd have a bigger bank account, that's for sure! In reality I probably only need 1 or 2. One for EDC and the other for camping purposes. But I currently have 11 (10 Spyderco) I find if I get bored at night after the wife and kid are in bed, if there's nothing on tv I'll go into my work out/knife room and flick them around, do side by side comparisons, cut some paper or cardboard to see what steels hold the edge longer. It's really a hobby and entertaining, just like being on this forum. Plus, I don't mind waking up in the morning and going into that room, standing in front of my display stands a ponder which knife to carry that day (same situation as my wife deciding which earrings or shirt to wear haha)
Resized_20180625_191640.jpeg
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

For me personally, I blame the internet. I don't have a very large "accumulation" of knives, but I do have examples from different manufacturers. Any one of them, I would be more than happy to have as my only pocket knife, from a $50 Buck to a $300 ZT. However, since this is a knife forum and specifically Spyderco I find myself ogling all the different knives that people have (an OCD personality really shouldn't browse knife forums). I haven't found the "perfect" knife yet, but am doing my best to find it. Going to need more storage I guess.
lunde

Post by lunde »

For me, it's about compromise, between having a knife that fits comfortably when carrying (this favors smaller knives) and having a longer blade for greater versatility (this favors larger knives).

A Dragonfly2 (with the "correct" handle color: orange) was my preferred "front pocket" knife for the longest time, clipped to the side further away from the zipper, and I recently found that I could carry a Native5 (also with the "correct" handle color: orange) in the same role, and is a more versatile knife for my purposes. My primary EDC knife is carried in a custom-made open-top leather belt sheath, which means a larger knife (a Nirvana is in that role at the moment), and I also remove the pocket clip, which makes using the knife a more pleasant experience with no "hot spots" while handling.

But, to answer the original question, I always carry at least two knives, so I could never imagine having only one knife. I also like to have backups, and tend to have multiple backups for my favorite knives.
Strider

Post by Strider »

I think you could definitely carry the same knife everyday - for me that would likely be a caly - then grab other knifes for specific tasks as the need arises.
Strider

Post by Strider »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:52 pm
Definitely not. Granted, out of my 500+ knives there are probably less than 50 that I "have a relationship with" but there are at least a couple dozen I consider "good friends". Not to mention that, as much as I enjoy doing food prep with my "mini santoku" that started out as a K04 Utility, I wouldn't want to carry it, and as much as I enjoy carrying a few versions of the Stretch, I wouldn't want it as my only food prep knife. The Stretch, Chaparral, Kiwi, Jester, and Kitchen Sharps all fill niches very well for me, but all are better as part of a team than any one would be as a solo act.
I definitely consider kitchen knives to be completely separate and do not understand why so many people use their pocket knives in the kitchen.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

For me this is more finding the one pocket knife that I have on me. Kitchen duty and a bigger perhaps fixed blade knife for camping etc. are a separate issue. I get in a cycle of looking, buying, selling, only to do it all over again. I'd bet much better off using, using, using what I have and enjoying it. Of course this is just me and I have no issue with folks that have a load of blades. I operate much better when I keep things simple.
Strider

Post by Strider »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:39 am
I know exactly where you're coming from. Growing up I always had the same swiss army knife on me (Classic at first, then a camper). My grandfather always had the same slipjoint. With everything else - my flashlight, keys, wallet, etc. I make a point to use the same items day to day.

If I could trade my collection for nothing but Pacific Salts, I'd do this. As it is I'm sitting on a bunch of cool knives like my Manix XL and Military that I feel guilty about never using, so I give them pocket time here and there. My SE Pacific Salt is my "one" though, no doubt in my mind.

Maybe the Millie would still be my baby if I still had that D2 version. Miss that knife.
I think the salt 2 wharncliffe SE has potential to be mine
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

^^Hahahaha, perfect!