CPM-154/S90V Composite Carbon Fiber Native 5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

CPM-154/S90V Composite Carbon Fiber Native 5

Post by Liquid Cobra »

From BentoBoxShops Facebook page...

The Spyderco Plain Edge CPM-154/S90V Composite Carbon Fiber Native 5 is dropping in a week or two and we are taking prepay pre-orders. http://www.bentoboxshop.com #spyderco
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
RamZar

Re: CPM-154/S90V Composite Carbon Fiber Native 5

Post by RamZar »

The Manix2 CPM-154/CPM-S90V Composite Blade with Black peel ply CF from July 2017 is still in stock at many dealers for $240. Not many takers for Composite Blades now like when the ParaMilitary2 one came out in just 300 pieces in February 2014.

Personally, the Native5 CPM-S90V with linerless gorgeous Fluted CF is a lot more attractive and it’s just $216.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RamZar wrote:Personally, the Native5 CPM-S90V with linerless gorgeous Fluted CF is a lot more attractive and it’s just $216.
Agreed!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I remain unclear what "composite" means. Are we talking cladding, or some metallurgical magic where the two steels somehow infuse each other in such a way that they would not be discernible in cross-section?
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

wrdwrght wrote:I remain unclear what "composite" means. Are we talking cladding, or some metallurgical magic where the two steels somehow infuse each other in such a way that they would not be discernible in cross-section?
It's a different process from cladding, as I understand it, but still maintains a "cladding line", so you can see where the steels transition between each other. I saw the Manix 2 with this steel at the factory seconds sale and it was easy to see the line.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

wrdwrght wrote:I remain unclear what "composite" means. Are we talking cladding, or some metallurgical magic where the two steels somehow infuse each other in such a way that they would not be discernible in cross-section?
I don't know if the process to make the composite blade is any different for the Manix2 and Native5 Sprints but here's a good explanation of the process for the ParaMilitary2 Sprint back in February 2014. It's not a sandwich but two steels fused together.

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=62959
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I’d love a few more details on this. Will it be CF with SS liners like the CF S110V, or CF slabs only like the fluted CF and the recent linerless polished green G10 exclusive? If it’s flat slabs without liners AND the composite blade, that’d really be something! :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I’d love a few more details on this. Will it be CF with SS liners like the CF S110V, or CF slabs only like the fluted CF and the recent linerless polished green G10 exclusive? If it’s flat slabs without liners AND the composite blade, that’d really be something! :)
I’d buy that.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote: CF slabs only like the fluted CF and the recent linerless polished green G10 exclusive? If it’s flat slabs without liners AND the composite blade, that’d really be something! :)
Those two have bumped the other Natives out of the RFP for me, except for hiking, where the extra toothy pocket grip BDT and Orange scales gain importance. Even the fluted Ti is second to the fluted CF.

The composite blade still relies on S90V for the cutting edge, and the sandwiching CPM-154 layers may be more Gee-whilickers than functional benefit, but I like it nonetheless.. The marginal increase in cost of the steel blanks may be offset to some degree by decreased machining costs vs. solid S90V, but the increased price due to exclusivity/ltd production may make that moot anyway.

Besides, the Manix version wants a little brother.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

RamZar wrote:
I don't know if the process to make the composite blade is any different for the Manix2 and Native5 Sprints but here's a good explanation of the process for the ParaMilitary2 Sprint back in February 2014. It's not a sandwich but two steels fused together.

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=62959
Thanks for the link. I had forgotten this thread, and worse, had forgotten I had commented in it!
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I’d love a few more details on this. Will it be CF with SS liners like the CF S110V, or CF slabs only like the fluted CF and the recent linerless polished green G10 exclusive? If it’s flat slabs without liners AND the composite blade, that’d really be something! :)
I would't complain if Crucible somehow wasn't able to deliver S90V / S110V for a year or more, then we might get some more compelling exclusives! I'd love a linerless G10 Native 5 due to the lined version being rather heavy for it's size (and I don't want the FRN version). However all such options are only in these two steels, which I have zero interest in.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

RamZar wrote:Personally, the Native5 CPM-S90V with linerless gorgeous Fluted CF is a lot more attractive and it’s just $216.
My favorite Native ever and arguably one of the best Spydercos in the catalog.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

According to BladeHQ, the Sprint Run Native5 with CPM-S90V/CPM-154 composite steel blade (saber grind), textured peel-ply carbon fiber handle and weighing 3.90 ounces will start shipping in December 2017 for $215.97. For the same price you can get the beautiful fluted CF with S90V (FFG) and it weighs just 2.83 ounces!

jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Just went up for pre order at BHQ.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hmm, saber ground blade on a N5? That’s a first. I wonder where the laminate line will fall on the grind on some of these...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The saber grind looks good but you sacrifice cutting ability. If it were hollow ground...
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

That grind doesn't look very attentive, IMO. I would have vastly preferred a throwback to the Native 1 hollow grind with swedge.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Hmm, saber ground blade on a N5? That’s a first. I wonder where the laminate line will fall on the grind on some of these...
I kinda like the looks of that.

@liquid_cobra
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RamZar wrote:According to BladeHQ, the Sprint Run Native5 with CPM-S90V/CPM-154 composite steel blade (saber grind), textured peel-ply carbon fiber handle and weighing 3.90 ounces will start shipping in December 2017 for $215.97. For the same price you can get the beautiful fluted CF with S90V (FFG) and it weighs just 2.83 ounces!
It also FFG.
Maybe I am missing something really great, but I have zero interest in this knife at this time. I do not see any benefits of S90V/CPM154 over plain S90V in my use. And cannot imagine this knife would ever replace Fluted CF N5 in my pocket.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

bh49 wrote:
RamZar wrote:According to BladeHQ, the Sprint Run Native5 with CPM-S90V/CPM-154 composite steel blade (saber grind), textured peel-ply carbon fiber handle and weighing 3.90 ounces will start shipping in December 2017 for $215.97. For the same price you can get the beautiful fluted CF with S90V (FFG) and it weighs just 2.83 ounces!
It also FFG.
Maybe I am missing something really great, but I have zero interest in this knife at this time. I do not see any benefits of S90V/CPM154 over plain S90V in my use. And cannot imagine this knife would ever replace Fluted CF N5 in my pocket.
Practically speaking, with the fluted CF model you get more for the same price. Of course, it costs more to manufacture the composite blade but it also costs more to manufacture the fluted CF. However, with the fluted CF you not only get the same steel blade performance (advantage FFG over Saber) but in a lighter (by a whole ounce) and more aesthetically-pleasing package. I'm all for technical progress but I think the days of composite blades are over.