Something new is coming soon.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pftbahaa

Re: Something new is coming soon.

Post by pftbahaa »

Uprightman wrote:Do we know the release date? I'm eager to scoop one.
I'd also like to know! It was supposed to be before the end of the year. It's getting pretty close.
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

I wanted it for my Christmas present. Hope it is released soon or it won’t get to me on time because of the shipping time.
Toter

Post by Toter »

From the November Byte:

C230GP

THE LIL NATIVE®
MSRP: $174.95
ORIGIN: USA

The revered Spyderco Native has long and distinguished history that began with the release of the original model 20 years ago. Specifically designed as an ergonomic, lightweight, all-purpose folding knife, it was also the inaugural platform for Spyderco’s patented “barrel-style” pocket clip, which provided reversible tip-up carry. Although a stainless steel version was briefly produced in Japan (and years later, a carbon-fiber-handled version as well), it was the Native Lightweight that really found favor with our customers and ultimately established itself as a mainstay of Spyderco’s USA-made product line.

As the popularity of the Native grew, it became a natural focus of our passion for Constant Quality Improvement (C.Q.I.) and steadily evolved through several generations of design before arriving at the current Native 5 platform. Along the way, it earned legions of dedicated followers and inspired numerous variations of the standard models with a variety of different blade steels, handle materials and colors. It also stimulated requests for a more compact version that could serve in the role of a ladies’ or gentlemen’s folder and comply with the blade-length laws of cities like Boston and Chicago. With those goals in mind, we developed the concept of the Lil’ Native.

The first step in defining the form of the Lil’ Native was to scale the basic design down about 15% to achieve a blade length just under 2.5 inches. Like the iconic Spyderco Dragonfly™, we also incorporated an index-finger choil to allow a full, four-fingered grip on the open knife while keeping its overall size small and convenient. Once we had dialed in the ergonomics, we turned our attention to the lock mechanism and decided to offer the Lil’ Native in two forms: a back lock that is truly a “Lil’” version of the highly refined Native 5 and a version featuring our patented Compression Lock™. This allows fans of both locks to choose the version that best suits their personal preferences and also enabled us to distinguish between the two in other ways.

Practically identical to its inspiration, the Lil’ Native Back Lock distills all the key features of the best-selling Native 5 into a package that is about one inch shorter overall. Its linerless handle includes textured G-10 scales, a stainless steel backspacer, and a broad-based four-position pocket clip with lanyard hole. Completely symmetrical in every way, this expression of the design offers fully ambidextrous operation and both left and right-handed tip-up and tip-down carry.

The Lil’ Native Compression Lock showcases the high-strength and user-friendly features of this patented mechanism and reduces the knife’s overall weight with an easy-to-clean open-backed construction. The Compression Lock is built on a framework of stainless steel liners nested into the handle’s textured G-10 scales. Located on the spine of the handle, it greatly reduces the possibility of inadvertent lock release and allows safe, one-handed closing of the knife without placing your fingers in the path of the edge. For fans of discreet, deep-pocket carry, this version of the Lil’ Native features a reversible, low-ride wire clip that can be configured for left or right-side tip-up carry.

The blades of both versions of the Lil’ Native are full-flat ground from CPM® S30V® particle metallurgy stainless steel and have fully accessible Trademark Round Holes for easy, one-handed opening with either hand. Both will also be available with a choice of PlainEdge™ or fully serrated SpyderEdge™ cutting edges. Proudly manufactured in our Golden, Colorado, factory, the Compression Lock Lil’ Native will be shipping in early December and will be followed in early 2018 by the back lock version.

If you’re looking for a compact, easy-to-carry, socially friendly folding knife with a truly distinguished lineage, look no further than the new Lil’ Natives. We’re confident you’ll be as excited about them as we are!

OVERALL: 5.92 in / 150 mm
BLADE: 2.45 in / 62 mm
EDGE: 2.05 in / 52 mm
WEIGHT: 2.5 oz / 71 g
GRIND: Full-Flat
ORIGIN: USA
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Available now direct from Spyderco. Sal, are these actually in stock?
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Ric

Post by Ric »

In Europe my dealer says it available starting 6. December.

So hopefully Spydercos stocks are empty but dealers should ve filled soon.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I'm ready for this one! :spyder: Just waiting for whichever dealer has them first!
-Nick :bug-red
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Just got my tracking info from Golden. Lil Native is inbound! :D
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

In stock @ DLT! Quite few us should have points to use up from the M390 PM2 :D ..$93 shipped after points. Heck yeah!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

https://youtu.be/Q-JW4BTf2c0

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

I find it interesting in the video that Tyler mentioned a "slip joint version" and a "lock back version". I wonder if he misspoke, or if Spyderco replaced the previously mentioned liner lock w/ a slip joint..
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I've heard of 5 models:
  1. Lil' Native CPM-S30V PlainEdge Compression Lock Black G-10 (USA)
  2. Lil' Native CPM-S30V SpyderEdge Compression Lock Black G-10 (USA)
  3. Lil' Native CPM-S30V PlainEdge Back Lock Black G-10 (USA)
  4. Lil' Native CPM-S30V SpyderEdge Back Lock Black G-10 (USA)
  5. Lil' Native CPM-S30V PlainEdge Slip Joint Black G-10 (USA)
See Spyderco byte November 2017 Newsletter: http://mailchi.mp/spyderco/spyderco-byt ... 963d2ec1ef
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

RamZar wrote:I've heard of 5 models:
  1. Lil' Native CPM-S30V PlainEdge Compression Lock Black G-10 (USA)
  2. Lil' Native CPM-S30V SpyderEdge Compression Lock Black G-10 (USA)
  3. Lil' Native CPM-S30V PlainEdge Back Lock Black G-10 (USA)
  4. Lil' Native CPM-S30V SpyderEdge Back Lock Black G-10 (USA)
  5. Lil' Native CPM-S30V PlainEdge Slip Joint Black G-10 (USA)
See Spyderco byte November 2017 Newsletter: http://mailchi.mp/spyderco/spyderco-byt ... 963d2ec1ef
That is going all in for a new model. Interested to hear how people like these.
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I love this model on paper and will anxiously be awaiting its arrival, hopefully by the weekend.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

buccilli15 wrote:In stock @ DLT! Quite few us should have points to use up from the M390 PM2 :D ..$93 shipped after points. Heck yeah!
Thanks! Just got my order in. Been eager to get this one! :D I have confidence it will become one of my favorites!

Also, I can't recall mention of a liner lock model, but do remember talk about a slip joint, back lock, and compression lock. Although, reading through the spyderbyte email it seems like they decided on only the compression lock and back lock. (In both plain and serrated edges) It actually sounds like the slip joint isn't in the plans anymore?
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

Mushroom wrote:
buccilli15 wrote:In stock @ DLT! Quite few us should have points to use up from the M390 PM2 :D ..$93 shipped after points. Heck yeah!
Thanks! Just got my order in. Been eager to get this one! :D I have confidence it will become one of my favorites!

Also, I can't recall mention of a liner lock model, but do remember talk about a slip joint, back lock, and compression lock. Although, reading through the spyderbyte email it seems like they decided on only the compression lock and back lock. (In both plain and serrated edges) It actually sounds like the slip joint isn't in the plans anymore?
IIRC, the liner lock was mentioned by Eric in the Blade HQ video posted last June. Totally going off memory tho.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Slip Joint wasn’t mentioned in the November 2017 byte but was mentioned in the Blade Show June 2017 video.

See 4:30 of the video below.

https://youtu.be/GgnGWMS-Pno
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I remember seeing that, but after reading through the November Spyderbyte I had thought their plans may have changed. It had been almost 6 months between blade show and that Spyderbyte, so things could have changed. For example, Eric also mentioned adding a lanyard hole to the compression lock model but it doesn't have one. Regardless, I still hope to see a slip joint model in the lineup as well! :spyder:
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

We won't know about the Lil' Native Slip Joint until we see the new 2018 catalog in fairly short order.

Remember the Native5 CPM-S90V Fluted Carbon Fiber was on, then off and then on again.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Looks like Knifeworks has some of these in stock today. :spyder:

Edit: GPK too!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Shaboy inbound. Hope I like this one more than the Shaman.