Mercy killing with your Spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Mercy killing with your Spydie?

Post by Evil D »

Man it's never easy for me to take a life. I grew up in the country and I've hunted lots of things but I've always felt a little grief over killing even when it's for a good reason.

This morning I'm doing some training with a new guy in an empty parking lot when I notice a squirrel laying in some mulch. I can see he's alive but he's not running away as we get closer so I know he's hurt. Sure enough, his back end is squished. He probably got clipped by a car. The little guy was trying to drag himself around by his front legs but he was a fat little dude and he wasn't getting very far in the mulch.

So, it's walk away and let nature take its course or intervene. What would you do?

I've been faced with this scenario many times in my life. I suppose I'm lucky in an odd way because I know what needs done and I've got the fortitude to do it, but it always sucks. When I was a kid I had to dispatch my best friend's cat for this exact same reason, he got ran over and his back end was destroyed.

In the end I hope the little guy went out fast. I just happened to reprofile and put a really sharp edge on my Street Beat so maybe that helped.

:(
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Whitetail addict

Re: Mercy killing with your Spydie?

Post by Whitetail addict »

Definitely not an ideal situation, i have faced it many times before aswell. You did the right thing, no point in letting the little fella suffer anymore than he already has.
@martial_logan on the instagram.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Been in that same spot a few times with deer hit by cars.
Horrid, but you know you did the right thing.
Joe
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I've done it a few times with one of my Militarys. When it was part of my work (field biologist working with large predators) I'd carry a handgun
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I tried to do that on a 7 point buck who had horrible compound fractures on both back legs, only it was with a NAA .22 mag. I put 3 rounds into his neck and was not the coup de grace I had in mind. Also woke up the whole neighborhood
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

if it had tobe a Spydie I'd go with a Rock Salt or Darn Dao, or a Hossom.
Blunt force trauma or a sudden, strong impact to the brain is instant and painless, like being knocked out. Decisive and quick strike, like stunning cattle prior to butchering.
Cutting,bleeding, beheading, stabbing or piercing (bullets, arrows, etc) is rarely instantly lethal and without suffering, unless the projectile destroys large part of the brain mass/CNS structure, like a well-placed headshot would do.

It's graphic and not pleasant but it's the science behind it.
This applies to all mammals, and living creatures with complex nervous system.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Sometimes its our duty to do this and it does suck, just this week we had to put down the wife's dog, had him since a pup. 14yrs old and in a bad way, only humane thing to do was relieve him of his pain, shed a tear myself as the life went out of him.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ThePeacent wrote:if it had tobe a Spydie I'd go with a Rock Salt or Darn Dao, or a Hossom.
Blunt force trauma or a sudden, strong impact to the brain is instant and painless, like being knocked out. Decisive and quick strike, like stunning cattle prior to butchering.
Cutting,bleeding, beheading, stabbing or piercing (bullets, arrows, etc) is rarely instantly lethal and without suffering, unless the projectile destroys large part of the brain mass/CNS structure, like a well-placed headshot would do.

It's graphic and not pleasant but it's the science behind it.
This applies to all mammals, and living creatures with complex nervous system.
I initially wanted to go that route but didn't have anything on me to get it done. Only other option was to stomp the little guy but I wasn't convinced that would be quick either..
~David
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Evil D wrote:
ThePeacent wrote:
I initially wanted to go that route but didn't have anything on me to get it done. Only other option was to stomp the little guy but I wasn't convinced that would be quick either..
no rock, stick, fence post, steel canteen, fire extinguisher, metal pipe or anything around? :(
That's a tough one. Sorry you had to go through that, it's never easy
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ThePeacent wrote:
Evil D wrote:
ThePeacent wrote:
no rock, stick, fence post, steel canteen, fire extinguisher, metal pipe or anything around? :(
That's a tough one. Sorry you had to go through that, it's never easy
I looked, didn't see anything obvious. I didn't think of the fire extinguisher :(
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’m quite adverse to dispatching anything with a knife.

I would have been inclined to hold the Street Beat by the sheath and bring the handle down in a sharp crack behind the ears. Having said that I’ve never killed a squirrel but I’d imagine they wouldn’t be too much different to a rabbit.

Either way, stuff like that is never fun.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I know somebody that had to slit the throat of a deer that was hit by a car and obviously in a lot of pain. Using a firearm was, at that location, out of the question unless it was by law enforcement.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I wouldn't know what to do there. I'd want to do the right thing and put the poor guy out of his misery, but I'd be afraid of doing it wrong and causing even more pain. Do I bleed him out? Aim for the heart? Poke his brain? Which part? I'd stand their so long debating what to do that he'd probably expire on his own. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to prepare myself. :(
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

One of the less fun reasons to carry a knife, for sure.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
kwselke

Post by kwselke »

A pair of pliers, such as on a multitool, applied swiftly to the neck crushing the spine/breaking the neck will rapidly put down birds and small animals such as squirrels. I used to have a pliers like device called a necker for use on wounded ducks, back in my heavy bird hunting days.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well hindsight really is a kick in the teeth sometimes. I've had the whole day to think about all the other ways I could have done it that would probably have been quicker. Hopefully he got off easier by my hand than he would have got from mother nature.
~David
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

Wow - I've had to put down an inordinate amount of injured wildlife (including bison) in my career in land management law enforcement, but it never would have even crossed my mind to use a knife!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think it is our duty as moral human beings to put animals out of there misery if it is obvious there is no way for them to recover. Of course, we have to be careful because they can have diseases. For example, a rabid squirrel may not get out of the way of a car. You try to put it out of its misery and then get infected. I think a long stick and a crushed brain is a good solution. It is fast and sure.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I would go the chicken way for anything so small.
Hard to think without a head.

Have seen some kangaroo,s jump back to life as I am thinking what to do ( after getting hit by a car ) always give them a minute or two and a nudge with the boot first nowdays.
( pouch checking for joey,s or young is a must on most Australian animals )
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

You did the right thing.In the aftermath,we can spend a whole day thinking about which way is ideal to put a suffering creature out of its misery,but it really doesnt matter if death was 0.2 seconds faster this or that way.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.