3 PM2's / 3 different actions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mad german

3 PM2's / 3 different actions

Post by mad german »

I've got 3 different PM2's, and they each have different actions. I'm wondering if those who have the same PM2 models as me have noticed the same thing. All 3 have rock solid lockup, with zero blade play.

S110V: Silky smooth right out of the box. The absolute smoothest PM2 I've ever handled. Free dropping/swinging blade when the lock is disengaged.

S35VN: Exactly the same as the S110V model, but not free dropping/swinging. Very smooth action. When disengaging the lock, I can gently shake the blade back into the handle.

S30V (DLC): Almost the same as the S35VN, but it takes a little more effort. I think that's due to the slight amount of extra friction from the DLC.

My Spydies are by far the smoothest knives I own. Anyone else have similar experiences with the same model PM2's as what I have?

Thx for the input guys.
My collection is ever changing!
Wrathhog

Re: 3 PM2's / 3 different actions

Post by Wrathhog »

I would say that the person/persons holding the torx driver in Golden has more to do with the action than any other variable.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wrathhog wrote:I would say that the person/persons holding the torx driver in Golden has more to do with the action than any other variable.
^ I know there are other variables involved but this has pretty much been my experience. I've had two of the same models and one had a better action than the other. The action on my Cruwear Para 3 was a little sluggish but turning the pivot screw just a tiny bit made a big difference. Now it's actually better than my other P3 and both my PM2s. I didn't think that was possible since they're all really good.

BTW, my DLC PM2 is very smooth and the blade free drops nicely. So I don't think the blade coating adds much friction, if any. Didn't someone from Spyderco (Michael?) say recently that the reason they didn't coat the lock area on the blackout knives was because the DLC makes the lock face too slippery?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Yep. The factory action is different on my pm2's and my Yojimbos. I doubt many would notice though (obviously you notice the difference mad german). They're pretty darn close.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
mn700vforce

Post by mn700vforce »

I have had seven pm2's still have four. There has been slight differences in all of them. Biggest thing I see differences in is how strong the detent is and if the blade drops freely when lock is depressed. If the detent is weak it does not flick open with your thumb very easily. With a strong detent the extra resistance to overcome the detent makes the Blade fly open.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Get a torx driver and adjust your pivot. It should be as simple as that.

Some like a free falling blade and some like to need a gentle wrist flick. With a torx driver you can set it how you like it.

With backlocks and liner locks I prefer to need a slight gentle wrist flick for safety. With other locks it doesn't matter but I tend to set them all the same for consistency.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd say your chances of finding 3 that are different are better than finding 3 that feel the same. The closest I've had are the recent Militaries, my two 52100 are pretty much spot on with each other, my S110V came a wee bit more snug but would drop closed with a little wrist jiggle and my M4 was a wee more tight than that. None of them have blade play and all lock up earlier than late. I was also able to grease the pivots and dial in the screws to my liking so I'd say they're all the same now. If anything I'd say my 52100 that I've been using has the smoothest pivot, probably because I gave it some extra Vaseline around the tang to help prevent corrosion.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mad german

Post by mad german »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Get a torx driver and adjust your pivot. It should be as simple as that.

Some like a free falling blade and some like to need a gentle wrist flick. With a torx driver you can set it how you like it.

With backlocks and liner locks I prefer to need a slight gentle wrist flick for safety. With other locks it doesn't matter but I tend to set them all the same for consistency.
Granted, the S110V has been opened/closed and used a lot more than the other 2, so maybe they'll loosen up in time as well.
My collection is ever changing!
Username827

Post by Username827 »

I own five different PM2'S, all 5 had different action. My S110v version had by far the worse action of any Spyderco I ever bought, but once the loctite got cleaned out, it was fantastic! My best out of box was my dlc blackout model. Then came the sprint S35VN, that was also great out of the box.
For what its worth, there is definitely a human element at play, and fine tuning the blades so they drop freely and have no lock play can at times become a frustrating process.
I have only handled one PM3, and that was smother than anything I own. It was hard to let that one pass, oh well, I was gonna snag one of the cruwear sprints but missed that boat.
I am gonna have to wait and see what comes next
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

My only Pm2, S30v satin, has pretty stiff action even after 1-2 years of use. One of bronze washers somehow got loctite/glued to the blade pivot (from the factory), and that is my assumption for the poor action. Well, it is not poor, just more stiff then most. Adjusting the pivot does not help unless I make far too loose and then I get blade play.

I am not even close to free falling. I have to give it a significant amount of a wrist flick (while upside down) while disengaging the lock to close it.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

My 2 PM 2s are fine.