Gayle Bradley - 5 Year review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zenith

Gayle Bradley - 5 Year review

Post by Zenith »

Below some thoughts on the Gayle Bradley 1 after 5 years of use.

1. The knife is one of the best production knives ever made in my opinion
2. The design is my personal preference as it does have more of a straight handle design compared to most Spydercos
3. No issue with the lock
4. Reground it quite a few times, still going on strong
5. The finish on the clip is very durable

Holland

Re: Gayle Bradley - 5 Year review

Post by Holland »

Amazing looking knife! Thanks for sharing the review
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Excellent! Thanks for sharing!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I think all spydercos should be reviewed by South Africans
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Love the look of a well used and grayed M4 blade. Looks like you're in a fairly dry climate? I haven't had a chance to watch the whole video yet.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Nice review of a great knife
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Still one of the best IMO, and the only knife I have a BNIB back up of. It's a versatile beast of a knife!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Having more Spydies than I actually need :o, I've not tested my much-admired GB very hard or very long. Nice to see how handsome mine could be if I beat on it as you have.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

I agree Zenith, that is one heck of knife!
Ti Rod Tactical

Post by Ti Rod Tactical »

I was curious if your detent ball has flattened off over 5 years of use? I bought all 3 of my GB's used,..had to 'cause they stopped makin-um :rolleyes: ,...but my oldest one with non-skeletonized solid liners came to me a month ago with a fairly flat detent ball. (about 30% missing). This one has an even darker patina than your's shows, and the lockup on this is at about 75-80%, well used for sure!

Perhaps the previous owner like to middle finger flick it open a lot like you? :) I can't do that with the bit more tension I prefer on the pivot. Plus with the extra strong lock bar tension on this model, I find it really hinders trying to flick them out at all.

Did you take it apart and loosen the tension against the blade by over bending it a bit? The reason I ask is when mine arrived, the tension was noticeably lower than my other two unused GBs, and the lockup seemed OK and looked in a more normal range.

However, when I adjusted the lockbar a little tighter by bending it slightly inward while the knife was apart, the tension became more normal for this knife and the lockup was even more solid, ...BUT,.... lockup had changed in position to from about 50% to 75-80% or so.

The PO had not added the common added lockbar access release window and I kind of think he had used it so much, that getting your thumb in an even smaller space now (with later lockup) was a lot harder than when the GB was new. So that's why I think he brought the lockup "back" a little, even at the chance of the lock slipping under hard use?

Anyway, I'm actually kind of impressed you can middle finger flip this model so easily,....so did you loosen the pivot screw and lockbar tension to be able to do that? Just really curious... :)

...a few pics of my oldest GB1, with solid undrilled liners
Attachments
Sketchenscales was an extra with this,...and the red paint picked out easily too.
Sketchenscales was an extra with this,...and the red paint picked out easily too.
This one has a nice and even patina on it, and is naturally built up according to the previous owner. I've added to it a little since I bought it, and have rounded the butt end so it carries with less poking me for IWB carry. The blade was also shortened to 3" to show that with some work you can carry a GB and enjoy the quality and function even with a 3" length restriction where you live.
This one has a nice and even patina on it, and is naturally built up according to the previous owner. I've added to it a little since I bought it, and have rounded the butt end so it carries with less poking me for IWB carry. The blade was also shortened to 3" to show that with some work you can carry a GB and enjoy the quality and function even with a 3" length restriction where you live.
Mine came with original scales AND a nice pair of G10 custom scales by Sketchenscales with just right hand tip up clip holes. This G10 is textured much like th standard G10 Spyderco uses like on the PM2 and Para 3. It was a very nice value with the extra scales,...just $90 shipped! :-)
Mine came with original scales AND a nice pair of G10 custom scales by Sketchenscales with just right hand tip up clip holes. This G10 is textured much like th standard G10 Spyderco uses like on the PM2 and Para 3. It was a very nice value with the extra scales,...just $90 shipped! :-)
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Enjoyed the video. Thanks for posting. :spyder:
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Thats a great review Zenith and I watched it twice so I could admire that patina once more.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Conan

Post by Conan »

Great review! I finally got one too! I took it apart and bent the lockbar a bit back. I also sanded and polished the sharp edges on the liners, especially the area where your thumb goes for closing.
I can close it now without any problems.
This is one of the very best and I should have bought it much sooner!

And taken apart:

Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Evil D wrote:Love the look of a well used and grayed M4 blade. Looks like you're in a fairly dry climate? I haven't had a chance to watch the whole video yet.
Correct, I live and work in a dry climate normally.

The GB though has seen the coast from time to time and with one of my projects it can be around 107 degrees with 80% humidity before the rain starts. In that heat and humidity when it starts raining you just stand there a bit to cool down :)
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Ti Rod Tactical wrote:I was curious if your detent ball has flattened off over 5 years of use?

Did you take it apart and loosen the tension against the blade by over bending it a bit? The reason I ask is when mine arrived, the tension was noticeably lower than my other two unused GBs, and the lockup seemed OK and looked in a more normal range.

Anyway, I'm actually kind of impressed you can middle finger flip this model so easily,....so did you loosen the pivot screw and lockbar tension to be able to do that? Just really curious... :)

Nice knife you have there.

I will have to check the detent ball for you if it has flattened at all but I have not taken this knife apart at all, so still stock standard, except the reground blade, as from the factory.
Ti Rod Tactical

Post by Ti Rod Tactical »

Zenith wrote:
Ti Rod Tactical wrote:I was curious if your detent ball has flattened off over 5 years of use?

Nice knife you have there.

I will have to check the detent ball for you if it has flattened at all but I have not taken this knife apart at all, so still stock standard, except the reground blade, as from the factory.
Thanks,...but you can actually see the detent ball roundness or flatness from the side in good light, possibly with a little magnification depending on your eyesite without taking the knife apart.

Also, did you loosen the lockbar tension and pivot screw to be able to flip it so easily, and is there play when open adjusted like that?
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Lekker review Marthinus!

It's good to see yours is still going strong. I agree, it is one of the best folders I ever bought, and amazing value for money.

Honestly, it is too much knife for me on most office days :), so even though I got mine a few months before you, it has seen much less use than yours. I've considered buying a spare a few times, but my current one will outlive me easily.

Groetnis...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

Great review. Mine has seen a fair amount of use. I had it reground by Tom Krein into the .007"-.008" range to thin it out into the slicer range of thickness.
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

I had both the GB1 and 2 and sold both for one reason. The lockbar was a thumb buster. If mine was like his I would have kept.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Looks like you got a solid return on investment there Zenith, after 5 years, still a good looking knife :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal