Any news on the Pacific Salt 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brj

Any news on the Pacific Salt 2?

Post by brj »

Now that Salt 2s are quite abundant and Tasman 2s are starting to trickle in, what about the Pacific Salt 2? Any info, from uninformed guesses to insider info (I'm looking at you, Sal) would be most welcome.

Or what about the Remote Release salt, for that matter? Naturally in SE ;)
Midnightrider

Re: Any news on the Pacific Salt 2?

Post by Midnightrider »

I'd be fine with a Pacific Salt SE in lc200n. No other changes required
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I believe Sal has mentioned there are no immediate plans for a Pacific Salt 2 and that it would be at least a couple years out since they would need to design the new handle, have the molds made, etc.
lpc

Post by lpc »

The Remote Release Salt is at the top of my list for knives I wished Spyderco would make.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Brj,

Just planning tooling now. It will be a while.

Hi Ipc,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:Hi Brj,

Hi Ipc,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

I hope the handle shape will remain as it is and just change from volcano grip to bi-directional.The Endura4 handle shape is...a deal breaker for me :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
elena86

Post by elena86 »

brj wrote:Now that Salt 2s are quite abundant and Tasman 2s are starting to trickle in, what about the Pacific Salt 2? Any info, from uninformed guesses to insider info (I'm looking at you, Sal) would be most welcome.

Or what about the Remote Release salt, for that matter? Naturally in SE ;)
Why change something close to perfection ? :confused:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

sal wrote:Hi Brj,

Hi Ipc,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
elena86 wrote:I hope the handle shape will remain as it is and just change from volcano grip to bi-directional.The Endura4 handle shape is...a deal breaker for me :eek:
I agree. The Endura 4 handle is ergonomically flawed. I like the Pacific Salt as-is, but I would rather see the Pacific Salt get a new handle altogether than see the Endura handle on it.
vivi

Post by vivi »

elena86 wrote:
I hope the handle shape will remain as it is and just change from volcano grip to bi-directional.The Endura4 handle shape is...a deal breaker for me :eek:
That's why I'm up to something like 7 Pacific Salts now. I've been going crazy ordering them this year. If they're switching to the Endura 4 handle like Tasmans were switched to D4's, I'll be sticking with the old versions.

With the E4 my index and middle finger get squished in the first finger groove and my thumb gets cramped from being too close to the thumb ramp, or just my index finger is in the first finger groove and the reach feels too great. With the Endura 3 handle I grab it with my index finger in the first finger groove and it feels perfect every time.

With basically every other model upgrade / CQI improvement I'm 100% on board, but not the salts.

Wish we could keep the E3 handle shape and use the new style jimping and handle width. Best of both worlds.
:unicorn
brj

Post by brj »

Thanx Sal. What about Remote Release Salt future plans?

I also like the E3 handle shape better and have built up a stash of 4 Pacific Salts so far, but I'm inclined to give a try to the new platform as well. I have nothing against the E4 ergos, it's just that during summer I sometimes carry my Salt IWB of my swimming boards and I expect the E4 texture to be way too aggressive for that.