You're so dirty...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: You're so dirty...

Post by Bloke »

I always wear white cotton gloves like the ones used in metrology laboratories when handling my knives because I hate fingerprints on my blades.

I often use my polished bevels as a mirror to check my hair and make up so I'd never cut anything that is likely to leave residue or any contaminate on the blade. Consequently I only use my knives to split and whittle hair and push cut phone book and cigarette paper mostly against the grain. So generally speaking apart from a stray hair around the pivot on the odd occasion my knives are spotless. The floor of our home not so much and visitors sometimes ask if beloved wife is a hairdresser and I'm into paper recycling.

This really annoys beloved wife and depending on what the visitors say she goes to calling me silly names which I deny of course but on the odd occasion she attacks me. It doesn't really worry me too much because I have a significant weight advantage, longer reach and better footwork but she's very determined at times, fights dirty and lands some cheap shots. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
anycal

Post by anycal »

There are definitely the right tools for a job. Sometimes there are fun tools for a job. It's in my pocket. May as well use it.

Peter
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Vivi, I always appreciate your pics as your knives are obviously users. They show that they have been sharpened with love and they have honest wear. That is refreshing to me.

That mule is spotless clean now. Those pics are from three different hunts. I would never eat with a knife that looks like that. :eek: I have worn many hats and have a degree in water quality management. I know a bit about microbiology. ;) I am not reckless but I am also not a germaphobe. Calculated risks are a part of life. :)

Bloke, you just need to throw a handful of your homemade confetti at her so you can bob and move. :) My wife is Italian and I have learned to be evasive. ;)

This is a great thread idea, let's see those dirty knives and knives at work!
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :)

Darby your an ideas man! :cool:

I try to hoof it but she can run like a startled greyhound and runs me down! :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Surfingringo wrote:
Evil D wrote:Don't you ever worry about bacteria?
Not really. This knife gets used only for fishing and it only works on gills or bait. It doesn't process the fish that I eat. Even if it did I wouldn't be too worried. I've been 20 years in the tropics. When I moved down here I decided to drink the water, buy empanadas from street vendors, eat food even if I dropped it on the ground, etc. I figured I would get good and sick a few times when I was young and strong to get my stomach and immune system well trained. I think it worked because I seem to be able to resist just about any bacterial stomach infection these days. I'm not very careful about cleaning my fish processing knives and I have been known to cut a big chunk of sashimi off with this very knife (which gets washed never) and eat it while on the water. I think my immune system may just be at ninja commando level....at least regarding stomach issues.

Edit: I have more than one Pacific Salt so when I carry one for "EDC" it isn't this one. This one lives on the kayak or in the washroom sink with all the other smelly gear. If this knife saw any carry other than kayak use then I would give it a lot more cleaning and sanitizing. Not so much because I would be scared of bacteria but because people would smell me coming from 20 feet away. :p

Cut an onion up with a chef's knife during dinner prep? Wash it in soap and water, dry it off and return to block.

Cut up a leftover pork chop and fruit with my EDC knife that cuts up all manner of things? Wipe the blade off on my jeans and probably with a paper towel, or tissue, or um, nothing...

:)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I'll play as I love to use mine, though it may not be as flashy as your use Lance...

Last edited by xceptnl on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
tap78

Post by tap78 »

dirty.... You say... ;)

ImageImageImageImage
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
Ti Rod Tactical

Post by Ti Rod Tactical »

Well,...just to give you an ideal of a well used M4 Blade can look like, the top knife is a NEW unused Gayle Bradley (original model but with the later skeletonized scales), and the knife below it is the original Solid Liner version of the GB(1) that I bought used. I modified it to a 3 inche blade length, and rounded the butt area so it doesn't poke me so much in my preferred IWB carry. It's one in my stable of my "less stabby" looking restaurant knives, for use when I eat out. I just love slopping the meat and gravy on it when dining,.....gotta keep the rust resistance UP by enriching that patina,... HA!

The "patina" on the used knife is wonderful, and I have added to it since I bought it,....but like 90% of it was there when I got it a month or so ago. The previous owner used it hard for sure,...just look at the 2nd photo, where the lockup is at about 80% or so! This really needed the liner access opening mod so common on these!

.....I'll add another photo when I get the chance to have my camera with me on my next eatery! The patina has to "eat" to,...to stay strong :D
Attachments
There's been a LOT of meat, gravy, and other goodies gracing that lower blade!
There's been a LOT of meat, gravy, and other goodies gracing that lower blade!
Double Left Click on this photo to see a really "worn in" 75% lockup!
Double Left Click on this photo to see a really "worn in" 75% lockup!
Last edited by Ti Rod Tactical on Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ti Rod Tactical

Post by Ti Rod Tactical »

Doc Dan wrote:I am all for getting my knife dirty. But, before I eat with it I am going to at least rinse it off real good. If you take biology and zoology, and some medical courses, you will be careful about what goes in your mouth, I can guarantee it.

(BTW, that word is pronounced ZOH OLOGY, from zoe, life. There is no such word as zu ology.)
Naw,...whatever doesn't kill ya makes you stronger! :D
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Doc Dan wrote:I am all for getting my knife dirty. But, before I eat with it I am going to at least rinse it off real good. If you take biology and zoology, and some medical courses, you will be careful about what goes in your mouth, I can guarantee it.

(BTW, that word is pronounced ZOH OLOGY, from zoe, life. There is no such word as zu ology.)
I'm a field biologist (with parasitology etc. in my degree) and I'm pretty relaxed about it. Most people worry too much about harmless stuff and too little about what can actually be dangerous ;)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I am OCD and I keep my Spydies as clean as a baby cheek :)

Marius
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Surfingringo wrote:... buy empanadas from street vendors...
Yyyyyeah. That's not a choice. That's a rule of living.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
mb1

Post by mb1 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Bloke, you just need to throw a handful of your homemade confetti at her so you can bob and move. :) My wife is Italian and I have learned to be evasive. ;)
Must be inherent to the species. My wife never fights fair; she fights to win! Heck, I can't even get her to let me try the latest joint lock I saw on YouTube with taking a groin shot. Haha

This thread has collectors everywhere twitching and fidgeting in their seats, and they don't even know why. :spyder:
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Mouth or any other orifices lol -- I worked with pathogenic bacteria for 17 years -- Vibrio, gonorrhea, E. coli 0157:H7, tetanus, lockjaw, gangrene, tuberculosis, cholera, H. pylori, methicillin-resistant staph, botulism (before they outlawed it after 9/11) -- you name it :) I welcomed faculty & staff to let their toddlers crawl around in my lab to build up their immune systems and for some strange reason, I didn't get a single taker :confused: :p

But seriously, our Gulf is in such bad shape now you can sometimes get a serious Vibrio infection from handling fish if you have scratches on your arms, etc. It never hurts to be a little careful.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

I have nothing to add here but you guys are great. What a fantastic thread. I have to side with the guys who autoclave everything but I still enjoy reading about surfgringo living on the jagged edge :D
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I thought i got some S35VN dirty in the garden yesterday, but after browsing this thread it seems relatively clean
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A little dirt never hurt. But ingesting it is another story. A lot of children get worms and other infections from eating it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Found even more to satisfy your challenge....

Last edited by xceptnl on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
mb1

Post by mb1 »

The Millie is perfect for pruning branches off my banana trees. That "sap" is STICKY tho. It laughs at dish soap. Need to experiment with an easier way to clean it.

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

mb1 wrote:The Millie is perfect for pruning branches off my banana trees. That "sap" is STICKY tho. It laughs at dish soap. Need to experiment with an easier way to clean it.
Alcohol or solvents like mineral spirits perhaps? Just be careful with the harsh solvents around the G10. It may take a while, but some of them will start wearing it away.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."