Cruwear Millie abuse (graphic content)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Cruwear Millie abuse (graphic content)

Post by Surfingringo »

I gave my Cruwear Millie a hard time last weekend. We had a big swell so I took a roadtrip to a spot about 5 hours north of me. I didn't bother bringing the kayak or fishing gear since it was intended to be purely a surf trip because of the size of the waves. When I got to the small town though, I ran into a couple of guys who ran a small kayak fishing company. They recognized me from my social media (I've got a fairly wide reach within the fishing community in Costa Rica) and invited me to go fish with them. They supplied me with a kayak and gear but the only thing I didn't have was a Salt knife. I had only brought my cruwear millie since i thought this was a non fishing trip.

On day one I just used one of the cheap knives that they had but it was a completely miserable experience. Seriously, I guess I've been using spydercos so long that I'd forgotten what it was like to use a POS knife...a DULL POS knife. :( Even when we got in and hit the cleaning table all they had were some cheap dull kitchen knives. I'm used to cleaning with Phil Wilsons knives and some of my own designs so cleaning with a 5 dollar kitchen knife was like parking your Ferrari and driving a Yugo. Painful. So on day two I decided I had to have a decent knife. I stuck the Millie in my waistband and hit the ocean.

We fished for about 4 hours and towards the end I hooked up on a pretty big Cubera Snapper. I landed the fish but there's no place to put the fish in their kayaks except between your legs. I was not going to paddle all the way in with a flopping fish with bone breaker teeth so I had to use the Millie like a fish Hunter. The thicker blade didn't work quite as well as the purpose designed FH but I got it through that hard bony head and found the sweet spot eventually. A fair bit of pushing and twisting was required but no damage to the blade at all. Once we got to shore I decided that even though the Millie isn't an ideal fish cleaning knife it was better than those cheap kitchen knives. I fully filleted the snapper with the Military and used one of the kitchen blades jsut to do the skinning. It was indeed a much nicer experience than the cheap and dull knives they had.

When it was all said and done, I had a knife that had a few light stains from corrosion and some blood and scales stuck in the pivot. That said, the blade was undamaged and the lockup was still solid despite me hammering the butt of it with my hand to penetrate the snapper head. The edge was still shaving sharp and still had a fair bit of bite from the 600 grit finish. It's no secret that I love my Salt knives but this knife performed quite well even though this type of use was a bit of a challenge. I almost didn't bring the knife that second day because I didn't want to "mess it up" but taking it out and putting it through the paces reminded me that we often underestimate what a good tool is capable of. I wouldn't choose a Cruwear Millie for an everyday fishing knife but it certainly wasn't an unreasonable decision to use what I had with me. It did just fine I would say.

Here's a pic of the Snapper with the Millie. I had already brained the fish when this pic was taken. I just stuck the knife back in for the pic. Just explaining in case anybody was wondering why the knife is so far back in the head.

Last edited by Surfingringo on Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chumango

Re: Cruwear Millie abuse

Post by Chumango »

That is a lot of filet. What do you do with that much?
attila

Post by attila »

Thanks for another cool story, Lance!

I was reading/learning about paddle kayaks just a couple weeks ago when I was kinda bored one day in the outer banks. Next year, I'm at least getting into surf fishing, if not kayak fishing as well. I enjoyed both fishing and kayaking a long time ago, and you inspired me to restart both, so thank you!

Also, the wife really likes fish, so she's totally on board with me buying the gear! :D
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Chumango wrote:That is a lot of filet. What do you do with that much?
We gave half to the guy that watches their boat and made fish and chips with the other half. Fed quite a few of us. Good stuff!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Good info Lance. :cool:

Thanks for sharing and nice fish as always. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Very interesting post Lance. I always enjoy a good practical field use review.
Sometimes the best knife for the job is the one you have with you. Glad the Millie served you well enough.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:We gave half to the guy that watches their boat and made fish and chips with the other half. Fed quite a few of us. Good stuff!
What knife did you use to cut up chips?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

El Gato wrote:Very interesting post Lance. I always enjoy a good practical field use review.
Sometimes the best knife for the job is the one you have with you. Glad the Millie served you well enough.
Yep, that's pretty much my 5 rambling paragraphs distilled down to one sentence. :D
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

LOL But as always the entire post was an enjoyable read! :D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bloke wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:We gave half to the guy that watches their boat and made fish and chips with the other half. Fed quite a few of us. Good stuff!
I didn't do any chip cuttin. You gotta leave something for the women to do Bloke or they start feeling left out.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:I didn't do any chip cuttin. You gotta leave something for the women to do Bloke or they start feeling left out.
... and you don't want to spoil them! ;)
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Nice snap Lance, was the Cruwear showing signs of rust? Last time I took my zdp Caly 3.5 on the water it started rusting the same day. Won't make that mistake again.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

nice story as usual mr. gringo!
makes me want to appreciate my cruwear pm2 a lot more.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Your posts always make me hungry. and I literally just ate.

I'm not surprised that the knife stood up to the physical stresses. What I am interested most in is the corrosion. I've tested it some, but not to the extent that you're describing here. Are we talking rust that wipes right off, or something that may need a little polish to clean off? Did you wash it off soon after? How did the pivot fare, especially a couple days later?

Cruwear as thus far been a sneakily stainless steel for me. It holds up way better than I expect, though every once in a great while it'll show a red dot or two just to remind me to not get overly confident in it. I've taken it on the water, but haven't really used it much out there.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Bloke wrote:
I didn't do any chip cuttin. You gotta leave something for the women to do Bloke or they start feeling left out.
Where is the Dogtag when you need one ;) :D
mb1

Post by mb1 »

That hawg makes the Millie look like a Manbug!

Reminds me of the MBC/Janich line: you'll fight with the knife you're carrying. MBC - Maritime Blade Concepts FTW. ;)
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Excellent! Thanks for sharing.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Awesome story lance.
Cruwear is a lot more corrosion resistant than people think. When I had mine I would take it out fishing all the time. It was always getting salt sprayed, cut bait a time or two, yet never a speck of rust or staining. Had to take it a part a couple times to clean out the grime and sand out of the pivot but that's it.

We really need more cruwear!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Lance I think you had a typo on the thread title and accidentally put "ab" on the front of the word use...? All I see is reasonable Military use :D

Rust happens. It can be cleaned up for the most part. Wear, pitting, stains, it's all just character.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

a knife sticking into an animal, might want to post a warning in the title next time.