Sharpening Serrations/Power Stropping/and the ramblings of a madman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Sharpening Serrations/Power Stropping/and the ramblings of a madman

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
I get mine pretty darn sharp with my sets of Spyderco 701 Profiles. I'm hoping that this upcoming Sprint Run of the 701 Profiles will have more grit selections like ultra-fine ect.

Although I've always learned a lot from Brother EVIL D as he is as fanatical as I am about getting his Spyders sharp as a witch's tongue :eek:

I really think it is very important for people to learn the use of manual tools like the 701 Profiles, Sharpmaker ect just so they can learn the basic principles of sharpening. That goes for plain edges and serratons alike.

I'd try out a 701 set if I could get my hands on one for a reasonable price. I'm also interested in the new stones that have the curved corners for serrations. I just really want to see something like this brought out in different grits. So far Spyderco really hasn't given us a solution for fixing really dull or chipped serrations unless you want to spend 3 days working it out on the Sharpmaker brown rods. I suppose you could use the diamond or CBN rods but you'd probably change the shape of the scallops or grind the teeth off. We need some round rods that fit the size of the serrations and we need them in at least 3 grits, and one of them being aggressive enough to fix edge damage. I really wish it were possible to have a stone that is shaped just like the serrations that would sharpen maybe 2 of the large scallops and the two small ones between them all in one pass, then you move on to the next set of serrations, but I think their serrations come in different sizes depending on the knife and country of origin so it's probably better to have round or oval shaped rods in different sizes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David