Question on Manix 2 Lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheJim

Re: Question on Manix 2 Lock

Post by TheJim »

apollo wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:07 am
Never had any issues with my locks either. I do prefer the old lockback Manixes that older design is still 1000% better in my eyes. Easier to handle lock that is basically like a vault , thicker but evenly slicy blade , better weight the old ones are godly for me. On the bbl i do have 2 with a flytanium cage i can recommend them but the stock ones are more then good enough in my view. Here is a pic of a flytanium one.
But if you in any way have the bad luck or are able to break its lock on a Manix LW that is pinned construction then its game over for that knife…
Wow that's one fancy looking knife. where did you get those scales?
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

TheJim wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:33 pm
apollo wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:07 am
Never had any issues with my locks either. I do prefer the old lockback Manixes that older design is still 1000% better in my eyes. Easier to handle lock that is basically like a vault , thicker but evenly slicy blade , better weight the old ones are godly for me. On the bbl i do have 2 with a flytanium cage i can recommend them but the stock ones are more then good enough in my view. Here is a pic of a flytanium one.
But if you in any way have the bad luck or are able to break its lock on a Manix LW that is pinned construction then its game over for that knife…
Wow that's one fancy looking knife. where did you get those scales?
Thx friend! The scales come from Cuscadi (Customscaledivision) from Germany.
I love to personalize my Manixes since they are the main branch of my collection and its extremely difficult or expensive to get Exclusives to Europe so i create my own specials. :releived
Here are some other examples just for you 😉.

This last one is ( to stay a bit on topic ) a complete flytanium Manix the brass scales with the blue ti lock cage. I love to carry that one because its such a heavy Monster in that set up!
The cages fit like a glove and look much better then the original so i can not give any better words then that.
olywa

Post by olywa »

2nd to last one has me drooling. Thanks for sharing!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

olywa wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:34 am
i love that green too!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
apollo

Post by apollo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:45 am
olywa wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:34 am
i love that green too!
Thx olywa and ladybug93. The grooved green g10 one is my very first customized Spydie.
Originally its the cruwear sprint with grey checkered pattern g10 but since regurly use all my Manixes that g10 became so horrifically dirty that i could not clean it anymore so i turned to custom scales to fix the issues since then i got addicted. :zany
And to go back on topic if i would not dislike changing the lock cage that much . ( i always shoot that bearing across the room at least a few times :squinting-tongue )
I would change it on all my spydies just because i love all the colors.
I wish spyderco would offer little kits with colored screws and lanyard tubes. I would buy myself poor on those.. :squinting-tongue
olywa

Post by olywa »

Really appreciate the Cuscadi lead apollo. They were super quick responding to my inquiry and will be building me a set of those g10 toxic green Manix 2 scales. Can't wait!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Apollo, your photos are beautiful. I like how you selected the background for each shot. Customized Manixes are also very handsome.
Crox

Post by Crox »

Do the anodized aluminum ball cages offer better grip than plastic? I feel like the titanium would improve grip but sometimes feel aluminum can be slick.
BaronKrause

Post by BaronKrause »

Crox wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:20 am
Do the anodized aluminum ball cages offer better grip than plastic? I feel like the titanium would improve grip but sometimes feel aluminum can be slick.
I imagine they will feel indistinguishable from each other since they’re both machined. I have a black anodized aluminum one and it is very grippy. Aluminum is probably better for this application since it’s lighter and you won’t get any benefit of the stronger metal for this use.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Aluminum ball cage is plenty grippy in my experience.
apollo

Post by apollo »

olywa wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:14 am
Really appreciate the Cuscadi lead apollo. They were super quick responding to my inquiry and will be building me a set of those g10 toxic green Manix 2 scales. Can't wait!
You’re most welcome friend! I have 7 sets from them already maybe 8 Because (I suspect that the brad southard i bought second hand years ago also has a scale from them on. )
And next month they are going to make me a scale for my schempp tuff.
Lucas is indeed very fast in responding he is a very nice guy and if you are doubting about something you can really pick his brain for idea’s.
For example the grooves on my blue twill pm2 were his idea.
apollo

Post by apollo »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:55 am
Apollo, your photos are beautiful. I like how you selected the background for each shot. Customized Manixes are also very handsome.
Thx Bill1170. Apart from my love of collecting and using i also love to make pictures of my edc’s when i get the opportunity. I am not so crazy good as some folks are at this forum but i do my best. :smiling-cheeks

And thx for the compliment on my Manixes all 20 of them are my favorites. :smiling-cheeks
apollo

Post by apollo »

Crox wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:20 am
I do not at the moment have the aluminum cages mine are ti but since the jimping on them is very well done i do think the alu ones will also be better then the plastic ones.
olywa

Post by olywa »

I normally use the ti cages but I wanted black for my dlc Manix so I picked up an aluminum one. No regrets either, the edges are nice and crisp and provide better purchase than the stock plastic.
Crox

Post by Crox »

olywa wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:48 am
I normally use the ti cages but I wanted black for my dlc Manix so I picked up an aluminum one. No regrets either, the edges are nice and crisp and provide better purchase than the stock plastic.
Exactly - looking to match all black. I also take issue with the price of Ti so there's that.....

Thanks for the feedback - going to have to give it a try.