Help needed with finding my first Spyderco!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
carry_the_land

Help needed with finding my first Spyderco!

Post by carry_the_land »

Hey folks, I'm new here as you can tell with the thread title lol I have spent the last week or so trying to find the best knife to work for my edc but am looking for a little help. I was originally sold on the para 3 but don't like how high it sits in the pocket and am concerned about the blade size. My work doesn't require me to have a knife and I rarely need one but would like to carry something that doesn't draw attention if I need to cut a box open. I'd like to stay under $200 and would be willing to wait on a sprint run as I am not in a huge hurry and have a couple para 3s I may wait on but of course still not sure on.

TLDR: Sell me on my first Spyderco... Please!
holeshot

Re: Help needed with finding my first Spyderco!

Post by holeshot »

First, welcome to the fourm. You might want to take a look at some of the value folders or a Manix2lw and also purchase a Sharpmaker. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
ZesT

Post by ZesT »

The Delica 4 is very non-threatening, I would point you towards that or maybe something from the sage line!
"I can stop at any time."
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

The Delica in a friendly color would work well, and as holeshot said, a Sharpmaker to go with it. The Caly 3 sprint should be released shortly and would make a great knife for your use. Welcome to the forum, we are definitely a bunch'o enablers. :spyder:
carry_the_land

Post by carry_the_land »

Thanks for the reply so far! I have looked at the Delica quite a bit but the more I read and watch video reviews I wonder if I should worry about the blade material as well when it comes to my decision. There are so many different options! Also what is the lowest quality blade you would go with?
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

Dragonfly or if you want bigger.. Caly. You won't be disappointed
illacky

Post by illacky »

The K390 Urban sprint run is very discreet. I use it as my Sunday carry and it is a brilliant slicer for such a small blade. The wire clip also carries deep in the pocket. It is a slip joint however...
-Ivan
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Alright hear me out. Go bold on your first choice, something distinctive, something classy, perhaps a Q-Ball, or S110v Native in G-10. You'll thank me later.

* A sharpmaker is great advice if you don't already own a good sharpening system.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

carry_the_land wrote:Thanks for the reply so far! I have looked at the Delica quite a bit but the more I read and watch video reviews I wonder if I should worry about the blade material as well when it comes to my decision. There are so many different options! Also what is the lowest quality blade you would go with?
Spyderco doesn't make any low quality blades. I'd pick one that is most likely to do all the basic tasks you will use a knife for. We don't know what those tasks are so its hard to recommend. A Delica is certainly a great all around knife including the basic vg-10 FFG version.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

If you're mainly looking for an inconspicuous, non-threatening knife now, I would definitely take a look at the Chaparral, which has an inconspicuous wire clip and rides lower in the pocket than the Delica, also a bit smaller. Made in Tiachung, Taiwan, it is super smooth operating and precision made, with great fit and finish. The basic model is very dressy looking, with weave pattern laminated carbon fiber scales, and has a CTS-XHP blade. Also, it has a handy choil, so you can choke up on it when opening boxes in the office, making the blade look shorter.

I agree with araneae about the blade steel quality. VG-10, in Japanese-made knives, is a perfectly good and adequate steel, and S30V is a great entry level steel for American and Taiwan-made knives. Several of my favorite knives have VG-10.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
carry_the_land

Post by carry_the_land »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Alright hear me out. Go bold on your first choice, something distinctive, something classy, perhaps a Q-Ball, or S110v Native in G-10. You'll thank me later.

* A sharpmaker is great advice if you don't already own a good sharpening system.
You had me at, bold and distinctive. If it is one thing I like, it's definitely things that aren't what everyone else has or even thinks of. I like the look and size of the Native but keep looking at it in FRN instead of G-10.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

carry_the_land wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:Alright hear me out. Go bold on your first choice, something distinctive, something classy, perhaps a Q-Ball, or S110v Native in G-10. You'll thank me later.

You had me at, bold and distinctive. If it is one thing I like, it's definitely things that aren't what everyone else has or even thinks of. I like the look and size of the Native but keep looking at it in FRN instead of G-10.
Get the native lightweight in S110V. Problem solved.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

For small, discreet carry I'd take a hard look at the following...

K390 Urban (Sprint) or even the standard offering.
Chaparral CF
Dragonfly

For something a little bigger...

Delica (any flavor)
UKPK
Native 5 (G10 or LW they're both winners)
Sage (pick your lock type)
Para 3

I've used all of the above at work the past few months and all have performed flawlessly cutting a variety of things. I carried the K390 Urban today and it's a little cutting machine. My Dragonflies don't see much use since I got it (and I really like the Dragonfly). It's not expensive and I'd highly recommend getting one while you still can.

If you're interested in the Para 3 I'd say go for it. I have a much greater appreciation for it since I added a short, deep carry clip to mine. I don't think the knife's much on looks but it sure makes up for it in use.

Last, I wouldn't get too hung up on steel type at this point. I have a variety of premium steels and I enjoy using them. But if I'm being honest, Spyderco's base steels like VG10, S30V, and even BD1 work very well for my use. I find I touch up my knives on the Sharpmaker fairly often regardless of what kind of steel they have. So the premium steels are more of a fun thing me vs. an actual need.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
carry_the_land wrote:

Get the native lightweight in S110V. Problem solved.
Yep! I like the G10 N5 overall but I actually carry/use the N5 LW way more. The S110V LW was on my buy list but I realized the S35VN LW I have is so good that I can't justify replacing it. Plus I also have the N5 S90V Forum knife so I went with the UKPK S110V instead.

Tough decision for the OP! :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Carry_the_land,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Nothing wrong with the Native LW :D
I love both of mine.
these are the 40th Anniversary Native, Never Summer Native LW, and Maxamet Native LW.
zmaxa2c.jpg
The light weights, are very lightweight (no liners) but sturdy. I've dropped the FRN handles onto hard surfaces with no ill effect, the FRN on the Natives is tough.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Sage1 is your best bet and it's plenty of room for a Sharpmaker within your budget.If you like something smaller go for the carbon fiber Chaparral.

Marius
ivtecdaily

Post by ivtecdaily »

CTS-XHP Manix 2 LW (Knifecenter exclusive) -$90, medium/tough tasks
CTS-BD1 UKPK- $50, light tasks/EDC
Sharpmaker - $60, keep them tip top shape

Now that's $200 well spent and that will have all angles accounted for. :D
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Welcome to the forum! :)

You may like to look at a ZDP-189 Manbug and a Hawkbill Ladybug. Neither will draw attention and both punch way above their weight. Add a SM and diamond rods ... happy days! ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey carry_the _land, welcome to the forum. Lots of good suggestions here. Whatever you decide on, I would add my voice to what many others have said and recommend getting a sharpmaker and diamond (or cbn) rods to go with it. Enjoy.

For what it's worth I just got a para 3 and really like it. Personally, I much prefer it to the native for a smallish edc.