Is MSRP for disco'd/sprint runs fair pricing?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Is MSRP for disco'd/sprint runs fair pricing?

Post by jdw »

Since everything is pretty much MAP pricing I was wondering how the board felt about paying MSRP for a hard to find discontinued model or a sprint run that was already snatched up? I have paid around original MSRP on several items lately so I know where I fall into the category, I was kind of wondering how others felt.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
jabba359

Re: Is MSRP for disco'd/sprint runs fair pricing?

Post by jabba359 »

I'd have no problem paying MSRP for a Kris, 75mm Persian, or any of the C35 Q knives.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'd have to want it pretty bad to pay a high price.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Donut

Post by Donut »

If you could find a Carbon Fiber S90V Military for MSRP, I would consider that a good deal.

I think case-by-case it could be or couldn't be.

Country Knives sells knives for MSRP and they have stock on a lot of weird sprint runs. I picked up a full size Goddard a while back for $100 ish and I've never seen one of them for sale, so I think that was a good deal.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jabba359 wrote:I'd have no problem paying MSRP for... ...any of the C35 Q knives.
Me either. I've paid up to eight times MSRP for a few of those. :eek:
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I think if it's worth it to you, it's fair. I have paid well over MSRP for a rare knife. And let me say this about that, if it hadn't have been so expensive, someone else would have likely bought it long before I did. The high priced saved the knife for someone (me in this case) who "valued" it enough to pay for it.
I also don't think it's unreasonable for a collectable to go up in value. :)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

I've paid close to msrp for several hard to find sprints. Only time I've paid over msrp was for the s90v/cf manix 2 which was a 400pc run and I was unlikely to see another.
Like others have said, sometimes I'm just happy to see someone still has it available, even at a premium. I don't think it's unreasonable to charge msrp for a rare discontinued product.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

jabba359 wrote:I'd have no problem paying MSRP for a Kris, 75mm Persian, or any of the C35 Q knives.
I would also pay MSRP for a Kris.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Donut wrote:Country Knives sells knives for MSRP and they have stock on a lot of weird sprint runs. I picked up a full size Goddard a while back for $100 ish and I've never seen one of them for sale, so I think that was a good deal.
This is a good reference. They carry a lot of brands/stuff that appeals to me, regardless of price. Thanks!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

jpm2 wrote:
Donut wrote:Country Knives sells knives for MSRP and they have stock on a lot of weird sprint runs. I picked up a full size Goddard a while back for $100 ish and I've never seen one of them for sale, so I think that was a good deal.
This is a good reference. They carry a lot of brands/stuff that appeals to me, regardless of price. Thanks!
So I was looking at their site, and a hit a needle scratching across a record moment.
http://www.countryknives.com/product/c2 ... old-rhino/
I didn't buy it, and it says it's in stock. I wonder what shows up if you order this? :eek: :confused:
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I would pay full MSRP for another fully serrated C-17, AUS-8 Catcherman model. Not only is that knife getting extremely rare I still consider it about the very best kitchen knife I've ever owned as well as being a super premium outdoor knife. For the life of me I've never been able to understand why Spyderco never made the full Spyderedged Catcherman again. I would think that a folding fillet knife would be a hot item continually and that the full SE version would be very high in demand.

Another disco'd Sprint Run that I would pay full MSRP and wouldn't think anything about it would be the Sprint Run, C-60, G-10 handled Ayoob model. To me it's one of Spyderco's top 3 folders of all time. If they ever bring that one back again in a Sprint Run with a newer/better blade steel it would probably unseat my M390 Military for my main plain edged EDC.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Interesting post. To go the other way... A few years ago I posted a knife for sale. I'd never used it and it had been discontinued for several years. I listed it at a few dollars under what I'd paid for it, which I thought was a good deal for this particular model. A guy, who initially seemed interested, started berating me because he'd found the close out price (of roughly 40% less) listed on the site, accusing me of trying to gouge him. That was the last time I even thought about trying to sell a knife...Who needs the hassle? oh well

Ken
Donut

Post by Donut »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
jpm2 wrote:
So I was looking at their site, and a hit a needle scratching across a record moment.
http://www.countryknives.com/product/c2 ... old-rhino/
I didn't buy it, and it says it's in stock. I wonder what shows up if you order this? :eek: :confused:
Brian from Country Knives posts on this forum, I'm going to send him a PM.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

To keep things in perspective, acquiring a specific Spyderco model, much less a specific variant of that model, is never a matter of life or death. Neither is it a requirement, so If you don't like the price someone is asking for a discontinued model, you can simply choose not to purchase it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

I pay msrp for everything if I am lucky... I live in Europe...

But I get incomparable Czech beer for around 2 dollars and 40 cents for a six pack of one pounders so it balances out somewhat... Sad but true
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Midnightrider wrote:I pay msrp for everything if I am lucky... I live in Europe...

But I get incomparable Czech beer for around 2 dollars and 40 cents for a six pack of one pounders so it balances out somewhat... Sad but true
I'd take that trade off. Any day. Knife purchases happen occasionally but beer is a staple food group. ;)

Ken
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

Midnightrider wrote:I pay msrp for everything if I am lucky... I live in Europe...

I feel sorry for you. It's a shame we each can't exchange one half of our populations with each other.

Is MSRP fair? No, but no lie, I unloaded a Cruwear military for 235 on ebay a few weeks ago, and then sold an s90v native for 110. It just depends. Cruwear was so hyped up with the paramilitary release that I knew I could gouge someone with a military version.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

kbuzbee wrote:Interesting post. To go the other way... A few years ago I posted a knife for sale. I'd never used it and it had been discontinued for several years. I listed it at a few dollars under what I'd paid for it, which I thought was a good deal for this particular model. A guy, who initially seemed interested, started berating me because he'd found the close out price (of roughly 40% less) listed on the site, accusing me of trying to gouge him. That was the last time I even thought about trying to sell a knife...Who needs the hassle? oh well

Ken
Ken,
What did you expect? Thank you? It is possible as well, but not always. :rolleyes:
We live in real world inhabited with real people and some of them let's say funny :eek: or scary. You remember one of my recent experience selling on BF. :(
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Midnightrider wrote: But I get incomparable Czech beer for around 2 dollars and 40 cents for a six pack of one pounders so it balances out somewhat... Sad but true
Last time I had Czech beer about 30 years ago. But still remember that it was good. I believe it was Plzensky or something like that.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

bh49

Post by bh49 »

jdw wrote:I was wondering how the board felt about paying MSRP for a hard to find discontinued model or a sprint run that was already snatched up?
There is a street price for this kind of Spydies. Some of them much higher than MSRP and some lower. About two years ago I needed to to gift a certain model and was quite happy, when I found one well above MSRP after couple month o search. But it worth for me.