Help me pick a Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bobec36

Help me pick a Military

Post by bobec36 »

So I'm a huge fan of the pm2, and bigger knives are growing on me after exclusively carrying 3 inch knives for years. The military is obviously a grail knife for all spyderco lovers. I want to buy my first one, but I don't want another s30v knife. Currently eyeing the bento s90v, blade hq m4, and the knifeworks 204p. Every time I ask someone which one they like the most, they say they like them all, so please give me some concrete reasons why I should go one over the other. I'm a rookie in sharpening knives, but I am learning fast. Just tackled my blurple pm2 and I think I got a pretty good edge on it. Open it all steels regardless of sharpening difficulty. Thanks guys, I'm glad there are other spyderco nuts out there like me!
Last edited by bobec36 on Tue May 23, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: Andy :spyder:
Tdog

Re: Help me pick a Military

Post by Tdog »

204P exclusive at Knifeworks....while they are still available.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Dark Green 204P. It's just one helluva knife.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Hey Bob, welcome to the forum! If i was in the field for another Military I would probably get the dark green KW 204P just from personal preference. I'm actually quite surprised there still around. You really can't go wrong with any though! I've only got the Cruwear flavor and sure do love it. The Military is such an awesome knife, it really is great. Good luck in your journey! :D
Josh
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum Bob, for the longest time I thought the Military was too big for me to carry, that was about 3 years and a dozen Military's ago :D out of available flavors right now, I would go with either the M4 jade or the 204P. Although the KW's Ti S90V is pretty spectacular too. They won't be around forever, that's the worst part. ;)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Why not the S110V version of the Military?
jdw

Post by jdw »

farnorthdan wrote:I would go with either the M4 jade or the 204P. Although the KW's Ti S90V is pretty spectacular too. They won't be around forever, that's the worst part. ;)
Do you prefer M4 over 52100? I think that I read that M4 is more slightly more corrosion resistant.I have been thinking about the Ti S90V too but I haven't heard much feedback about it. Specifically if it is worth the price difference between the different models? Thanks for the input.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

S110V would be my first pick. Great steel with great corrosion resistance.

Then the exclusive 204P.

Then that new S90V titanium version.

Then the Cruwear.

Then the M4.

Then the 52100.

:D
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

The military is a great model.

Can you tell us if you have had a non-stainless knife before and did you experience any difficulties keeping it maintained? What kind of stuff do you normally find yourself cutting? Do you sometimes find yourself dropping your knife or cutting into staples or other hard things? How thin do you like to keep your edge? What grit do you normally sharpen up to?

Most of the steels used in the military line are top notch and they'll all cut but their strengths are different as are their weaknesses.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

KW 204P, without a doubt. But, I like the color of the S110V G10 better.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bobec36

Post by bobec36 »

dreadpirate wrote:Why not the S110V version of the Military?

Just want to try out different steels. I have 4 s30v knives currently, and i'm kind of on a journey through the steels to find which ones i like. Also the s110v only comes in blurple. I like my blurple pm2, just want to switch up the look with a different knife.
bobec36

Post by bobec36 »

Bodog wrote:The military is a great model.

Can you tell us if you have had a non-stainless knife before and did you experience any difficulties keeping it maintained? What kind of stuff do you normally find yourself cutting? Do you sometimes find yourself dropping your knife or cutting into staples or other hard things? How thin do you like to keep your edge? What grit do you normally sharpen up to?

Most of the steels used in the military line are top notch and they'll all cut but their strengths are different as are their weaknesses.
I have not had any problems with rust or corrosion on my current blades. I haven't branched out a whole lot from s30v and my one recent s110v knife, that is why i want to try different steels. I use knives for general EDC tasks.. I am a full time sheriff's deputy, and obviously carry a couple knives when on duty. Its hard to say what i will need it for, but the military i go with will definitely be carried every day on duty. Not a lot of hard use my knives unless absolutely necessary, that being said none of them are safe queens. I sharpened to 25 DPS in the past, and just recently moved to 20 DPS because of a recommendation from an experienced sharpener. Beyond that i just lightly strop with leather and green compound.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Go ahead and buy the KW green Millie with CTS 204P. I own one, it is awesome. I also own the Cruwear, the S110V, the S90V Ti/Cf from KW, and the old school CTS XHP brown G10 Sprint. I love them all, but if you had to start with one, get the green for now while its still available.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

204p Millie, I only carry mine at the weekends but hey other knives need pocket time too :p
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Of the ones currently available I would get the BHQ M4 but keep in mind it is not stainless.

My very favorite one is the Cruwear Military if you can find one.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I agree with bearfacedkiller but keep in mind you have to wipe the blade down. M4 and Cruwear aren't terribly corrosive but they do need to be maintained with a little more attention than the stainless steels you're probably used to. M4 more than Cruwear. M4 is a very good all around steel with Cruwear right behind it.

204P would be really good but it's not going to bring a lot to the table that S110V doesn't bring.

You may want to switch gears and look at knives with maxamet if you want to try a class of steel that's really uncommon.

And if your department allows you may want to look at the mule team. Buy a set of scales and a good kydex sheath and as the new versions come out you can swap the scales and carry the new steels. Great little fixed blades.
jdw

Post by jdw »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Of the ones currently available I would get the BHQ M4 but keep in mind it is not stainless.

My very favorite one is the Cruwear Military if you can find one.
Do you prefer M4 to 52100? I have a GB1 in M4 and a Cruwear military but I don't have any experience with 52100 and I have a friend offering to sell me his for cost. Thanks, Killer.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

jdw wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:I would go with either the M4 jade or the 204P. Although the KW's Ti S90V is pretty spectacular too. They won't be around forever, that's the worst part. ;)
Do you prefer M4 over 52100? I think that I read that M4 is more slightly more corrosion resistant.I have been thinking about the Ti S90V too but I haven't heard much feedback about it. Specifically if it is worth the price difference between the different models? Thanks for the input.
Actually I like the 52100 more, been carrying mine daily for a while now. I was mostly thinking what was readily available.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

52100 isn't really all that great of a steel unless you want a really low wear resistant version that corrodes easily. I wholly prefer M4.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Bodog wrote:52100 isn't really all that great of a steel unless you want a really low wear resistant version that corrodes easily. I wholly prefer M4.
dont care, just something I really like about the 52100, personal preferences and all. :rolleyes: