Optics Planet PM2

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Scott009

Optics Planet PM2

Post by Scott009 »

My first spyderco purchase was a PM2 from Optics Planet. My concern is with the thumb groove, looks like a fake based on other photos I've seen, and It also doesn't have duel cutouts. I've not held a real one so I have no comparison. Anyway, I was looking for opinions from those who are knowledgeable. Thanks!

Oh, and sorry to be the new guy asking for help
Attachments
IMG_0272.JPG
IMG_0274.JPG
IMG_0275.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0279.JPG
Dreaded

Re: Optics Planet PM2

Post by Dreaded »

Looks like a fake to me. The compression lock cutout isn't right, one liner should have one lightning cutout and the other should have two. The coating on the blade doesn't look correct either, but could be the lighting in the picture.

I'd return it and buy from one of the many reputable authorized dealers meantioned all throughout this forum.
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

The printing on the blade and the torx hardware looks different
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The screws look like hex rather than torx.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Is Optics Planet an authorized dealer?

Or perhaps I should ask if they are served by a distributor other than Spyderco and, if so, is their distributor an authorized one.

I can imagine reasons why Spyderco might not weigh in here, but it sure would be helpful to know allegedly legit sources to avoid.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
remnar

Post by remnar »

Definite fake! Have you contacted Optics Planet? I would be curious to hear what they say.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Concuring with all previous posts: Fake....Adding an additional indicator that the lockbar of the real PM2 isn't blacked out on the black blade models
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
LDB

Post by LDB »

So the OP disappeared apparently. Curious about any update and resolution.