Urban vs Dfly2 - a tough one

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Urban vs Dfly2 - a tough one

Post by elena86 »

Locking mechanism aside why would you choose one over the other :confused: I first bought the Urban to test the K390 steel but now the little sucker charmed me...yet I keep going forth and back between these two awesome LBKs :eek:

Marius
abbazaba

Re: Urban vs Dfly2 - a tough one

Post by abbazaba »

While the Urban might seem a little more hand filling, something about the DF2 is just perfect for it's size. The angled butt on the blade side of the handle on the DF2 is more accommodating for me than the handle on the Urban which is limiting in comparison. I also like the reduced size loose in pocket.

The only thing I don't like about the DF2 is the swedge because it's located where I like to apply pressure with my thumb. The lack of the swedge on the Urban feels better to my thumb.
jafnvaegi

Post by jafnvaegi »

Well there are two major reasons for choosing from my observation, one is size and the other is blade thickness. For me, the Urban is a tad more comfortable due to the handle shape and size but both are rather close. The Urban K390 I have has a very sturdy slipjoint so I've not missed having a lock, no worry that it'll close for what I'm using it for. It's easier to one-handed close the Urban, but also not too difficult with the DF2. The DF2 has a bit more texture with the bi-directional FRN. The DF2 is more compact when closed, but rides a bit higher in the pocket and the wire clip is shorter. The DF2 has a thinner blade so it's marginally better with slicing I'd guess but I have no issues slicing with the Urban. Both are exceptionally built and finished though...if you have the Urban already, I'd say it's worth checking out a DF2 for comparison. This thread has a few photos so you can see size comparison: //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 2&start=20
Chaparral LW ▴ Air ▴ Slysz Bowie
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If they both had a lock the Urban would win, hands down, as far as I am concerned. I love that little K390 knife. It is just right. I have gotten to where it stays in my pocket. It is a bit harder to close than my DFs because of the stiffness of the action. But, still, I really have fallen in love with it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Unapologetic Dragonfly fan here. (It's hard to not factor in the lock)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been playing with a UKPK for a few days and I think if the spring is similar in the Urban I could live with it on such a small knife for light use. The difference for me is that having a lock means I may push it a little harder, and I already know the Dfly is a really capable little knife so it's hard for me to not choose it. Honestly my only gripe with the Dfly is lack of standard production steel options. I would love to see one in S110V.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

The answer is, as always, Yes.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Number of Urbans I own = 0, number of Dragonflys I own = 6.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Own 2 Urbans-2 Dragonfly's
Lately been using the Dragonfly much more since I got the H1 SE version, before that the Urban would see more use.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I'm a heretic, I just can't get comfortable on the narrow df handle. Love the urban.
Mora2013

Post by Mora2013 »

I have 2 dragonflies but no Urbans. Why is there such a listed weight difference between the two?
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I have the Urban LW in k390 and the HAP 40 Dfly, they are both superb knives. I've only had the Urban a short while but I'm really warming to it and I think it's going to get a lot of pocket time but hey that's the joy of being a knife user/collector we can choose to carry what we feel like. I tested the K390 on some cardboard today and I was really impressed with it, it's a bit bigger than the Dfly and is a bit more comfortable, the Dfly is better suited to edc use.

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

The dragonfly is one heck of an awesome LBK, but ever since I got the Urban in K390 it has absolutely kicked my dragonfly to the curb..
Josh
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Keep both and also get a S110V UKPK :D
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Evil D wrote:I've been playing with a UKPK for a few days and I think if the spring is similar in the Urban I could live with it on such a small knife for light use. The difference for me is that having a lock means I may push it a little harder, and I already know the Dfly is a really capable little knife so it's hard for me to not choose it. Honestly my only gripe with the Dfly is lack of standard production steel options. I would love to see one in S110V.
What version of the UKPK are you using? The Urbans I have (original Japanese G10 wharnciffe, BB exclusive and K390 Sprint) all have more spring tension than any UKPK, but they have way more than the new thin bladed/split spring FRN versions. Similar "snap" to the Pingo. That said, the best action of any slipit I own is the Ti UKPK... buttery smooth and plenty secure all in one package.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

awa54 wrote:
Evil D wrote:I've been playing with a UKPK for a few days and I think if the spring is similar in the Urban I could live with it on such a small knife for light use. The difference for me is that having a lock means I may push it a little harder, and I already know the Dfly is a really capable little knife so it's hard for me to not choose it. Honestly my only gripe with the Dfly is lack of standard production steel options. I would love to see one in S110V.
What version of the UKPK are you using? The Urbans I have (original Japanese G10 wharnciffe, BB exclusive and K390 Sprint) all have more spring tension than any UKPK, but they have way more than the new thin bladed/split spring FRN versions. Similar "snap" to the Pingo. That said, the best action of any slipit I own is the Ti UKPK... buttery smooth and plenty secure all in one package.

The S110V version. I actually don't want too much spring, because I hate the super aggressive close action. I really like the half stop on this knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

My urban and s110v ukpk are almost identical in spring tension. Spyderco has really stepped it up. Like SG said, just get all 3 LOL
Josh
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Dfly, it locks. If the Pingo locked it would have been an EDC heavyweight for me. And yes, knives that lock get the nod for me and those of you who have Urbans have to admit that you would prefer a locking version if it existed
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The DF is awesome. I have 6 of them so there must be something right. But, if anyone does not own a K390 Urban LW, get one before they are gone. You will not be disappointed.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

elena86 wrote:Locking mechanism aside why would you choose one over the other :confused: I first bought the Urban to test the K390 steel but now the little sucker charmed me...yet I keep going forth and back between these two awesome LBKs :eek:

Marius
I have 3 Dragonflies and 2 Urbans. Both models have been seeing a lot of use lately. As far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong with either.

Like Johnnie 1801, I recently broke down several cardboard boxes. I used 5 different Spydies (just because) and all did well. The knife that really impressed me was the K390 Urban. It was very comfortable for a small knife, there was never a concern that the knife would close up on me, and it just kept cutting and cutting. Great knife overall!!!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!