What the ****? A Back Lock Manix?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: What the ****? A Back Lock Manix?

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:I concluded the OP was NOT trolling, just being rhetorical, if, perhaps, a little awkwardly.

What's with the forum these days? We're not supposed to be political here, but it sure seems like the hate-filled polarizations outside the forum have each of us itching for an actual fight, not just gentle ribbing. Do we really want to blow it up?

That's society for ya these days. Problems aren't solved by working them out, they're "solved" by rioting and looting. People don't know how to discuss anymore, they just immediately go for the throat and blow it up as big as possible because they've been taught that this is what gets them attention. Eventually even the laid back people start lashing back because they're sick of seeing it and it gets to the point where everyone is on a short fuse.

Personally I'm making it a point to try and avoid this crap completely, and start countering every stupid thread or post I see with a thread or post about knives and something either educational or positive about them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Personally I'm making it a point to try and avoid this crap completely, and start countering every stupid thread or post I see with a thread or post about knives and something either educational or positive about them.
yeah. I have had less patience for people who look for attention through conflict. I stay away instead of adding more hostilities. I'm not real passive by nature so it's stay away or let my inner horses *** out all over this website and the mostly good people I've come to respect. I still read as much as I ever have. I don't know why it has changed so much but it has very noticeably.

joe
sal

Post by sal »

Evil D wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:I concluded the OP was NOT trolling, just being rhetorical, if, perhaps, a little awkwardly.

What's with the forum these days? We're not supposed to be political here, but it sure seems like the hate-filled polarizations outside the forum have each of us itching for an actual fight, not just gentle ribbing. Do we really want to blow it up?

That's society for ya these days. Problems aren't solved by working them out, they're "solved" by rioting and looting. People don't know how to discuss anymore, they just immediately go for the throat and blow it up as big as possible because they've been taught that this is what gets them attention. Eventually even the laid back people start lashing back because they're sick of seeing it and it gets to the point where everyone is on a short fuse.

Let's make sure that this forum is the exception and keep our own standards on a higher plain.

sal
palonej

Post by palonej »

I think it already is Sal.
98% of the members here are some of the finest people I was lucky enough to get to know.
Great bunch of stand up & helful people.
Joe
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, one of the reasons I hang out here is because the people are pretty great. They are tolerant of other people and do not put up with trolls and those who want to start fights. It is a nice place. Much better than any other knife forum.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I seldom join the fray, but I plead guilty to hanging on to see how these threads come out, though I sometimes skip over a ream or two of pedantic self-aggrandizing pseudo-scientific-method metaphysical/metallurgical malarkey.

Evil D wrote:
91bravo wrote:Well, I've never looked at it that way before. I'm more about how the blade opens, than how it closes! lol I guess I don't need for my blades to close as fast as they open!
I blame the Para 2. Before that knife it never really mattered to me either.

Actually before the Para 2 it was that Native. I loved how that blade could fall closed but the choil would hit your finger instead of the edge. I suspect the Manix works the same way.

I will say the back lock (or mid lock really) is the best lock I've used when it comes to not having to change your hand position when unlocking. In most cases I only move my thumb back to reach the lock while the rest of my fingers stay on the grip. The only down side to that is the importance of having a choil or something to hit your index finger instead of the edge but it seems most Spyderco either have a choil or a ricasso that hits your finger.
Really "how they close" is what got me into Spyderco knives. My first was a G-10 Manix 2 and I couldn't believe how, with one hand, you could hold the open knife flat side horizontal to the ground, then pull the releases and rotate your wrist 4 or 5 degrees and the blade would miraculously be sucked into the handle. I'd never seen anything like that happen with a knife before. Admittedly, at first it was a little difficult to keep the butt of the knife stationary against the heel of my hand while closing, and I wished they'd put the liner jimping toward the butt instead of where it was. Also, being able to do this may vary depending on your hand anatomy.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I just got my Manix in the mail when I got home from work last night and have to say this one is an instant favorite. The ergonomics are fantastic and the back lock locks up with authority. This one is a home run for sure.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have high hopes for this knife. Mine is here, but not delivered. It will probably be Tuesday or Wednesday before I get my paws on it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Jazz wrote:What kind of post is this? Just don't buy it.
A candid one.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Larry_Mott wrote:I can't see the the point of irate comments about Spyderco releasing a certain model. If it's not for you - don't buy it, problem solved.
If they were to release a second variant of the Gunting (a knife i don't think i'd ever buy regardless of price) i sure wouldn't start threads about it letting everyone and their dog know how much i hate it..
Ok - well ignore the thread then.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

You guys are making a mountain out of mole hill. There is no hate rhetoric in my remarks. That's my opinion - take it or leave it.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I confess. I was put up to this by the marketing folks so as to rally support for the new lockback model, and towards that end this thread has been a big success. Kidding. Well - at least about the being put up to this. The knife does appear to be a success. Gee wiz, chill out.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Buttercups love for you doesnt give you impunity here, Roberts.