Hawkbill Manbug poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Hawkbill Manbug poll, would you prefer...

Poll ended at Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:33 pm

PE ZDP-189
14%
PE HAP-40
3%
SE VG-10
11%
PE VG-10
8%
SE H-1
24%
PE H-1
8%
other steel not currently used on Manbugs
11%
not interested
5%
*PE ZDP-189 Hawkbill Dragonfly
16%

Total votes: 37

ZrowsN1s

Hawkbill Manbug poll

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've been needing a small hawkbill in my life, and the ladybug salt isn't "cutting it" so to speak. Do others share my interest in a PE ZDP Hawkbill manbug? Would you like a different hawkbill manbug, or is does this not interest you at all. What would you prefer?

*added the option of ZDP HB DFly. Sorry if I erased your original vote when I reset, you can change your vote at any time as well :o
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Mushroom

Re: Hawkbill Manbug poll

Post by Mushroom »

Does the Manbug platform really offer that much of a difference to the Ladybug to justify a hawkbill version of both? I've never handled a Manbug, so I'm curious what "isn't cutting it" with the Ladybug?

I'd rather see a Dragonfly with a hawkbill over a Manbug. Personally, the LBHB is plenty capable for its size.
-Nick :bug-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Mushroom wrote:Does the Manbug platform really offer that much of a difference to the Ladybug to justify a hawkbill version of both? I've never handled a Manbug, so I'm curious what "isn't cutting it" with the Ladybug?

I'd rather see a Dragonfly with a hawkbill over a Manbug. Personally, the LBHB is plenty capable for its size.
I too would like a Hawkbill DFly in fact I made a thread on that subject last year, if they make one, I'll buy it.... I have a ZDP manbug and a HB ladybug, the man bug has just a little more thickness to it. It isn't much of a difference but on the ladybug the way I would describe it is that I feel like I could break the Ladybug by pressing with too much downward force while cutting, I don't ever get that feeling when I'm using the manbug. It's just a little more solid. The other thing that isn't cutting it for me personally is the SE H1, I just don't like it on that small of a blade. A PE high hardness steel like ZDP that takes a fine edge is MUCH more suited to my needs when it comes to keychain size knives. If they made a PE ZDP Hawkbill Ladybug, I'd buy one, but it would be better and more useful to me if it was the more sturdy and slightly thicker manbug.
zlb.jpg

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

LC200n as PE and SE 'Other'
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Bradley wrote:LC200n as PE and SE 'Other'
I really like the LC200N too, last time I asked about SEKI knives with LC200N, I was more or less told not in the near future, but maybe 2018, 2019 who knows.

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mushroom wrote:Does the Manbug platform really offer that much of a difference to the Ladybug to justify a hawkbill version of both? I've never handled a Manbug, so I'm curious what "isn't cutting it" with the Ladybug?

I too would like a Hawkbill DFly in fact I made a thread on that subject last year, if they make one, I'll buy it.... I have a ZDP manbug and a HB ladybug, the man bug has just a little more thickness to it. It isn't much of a difference but on the ladybug the way I would describe it is that I feel like I could break the Ladybug by pressing with too much downward force while cutting, I don't ever get that feeling when I'm using the manbug. It's just a little more solid. The other thing that isn't cutting it for me personally is the SE H1, I just don't like it on that small of a blade. A PE high hardness steel like ZDP that takes a fine edge is MUCH more suited to my needs when it comes to keychain size knives. If they made a PE ZDP Hawkbill Ladybug, I'd buy one, but it would be better and more useful to me if it was the more sturdy and slightly thicker manbug.
zlb.jpg
Ok, for sure! Since the Manbug is a CQI step up from the Ladybug, that is completely valid. It definitely makes sense to want the beefier handle from the Manbug for slightly harder use, and to see it offered as a non salt knife would certainly help to mix it up a bit. Especially for those that don't need the corrosion resistance, but still want a tough keychain sized hawkbill blade.
I guess I just need to try out a Manbug for myself to really understand the difference.
-Nick :bug-red
levs18

Post by levs18 »

I voted for serrated H1 but I would buy one in any steel if Spyderco makes a hawkbill manbug.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This question could be asked of the standard Manbug too. Most will tell you they prefer the fuller grip feel of the Manbug. Personally I have always leaned towards the Ladybug because I use these knives on my keys so less bulk is better, but in use the Manbug does give you more to hold onto. So, because of that, and because I know I already like the Ladybug hawkbill, I would be interested in a Manbug version.

However, I'm with you 110% for a Dragonfly hawkbill. Absofrickinlutely. I think it's an idea that is long overdue.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have a few Hawkbill Ladybugs and they are great but we need to keep in mind that Spyderco didn't move the USN version very fast at all.

I prefer the thinner blade stock of the Ladybug to the Manbug.

I would like a PE FFG Hawkbill Dragonfly or Ladybug in vg10. HAP40 would be my next choice.

I feel like the HG is just too thick on my Ladyhawk and FFG would be a huge improvement.

Here is a pic to get peoples gears turning. Mine has seen a TON of use. At least until the Clipit-tool bottle opener stole it's job. Can we get a CLipit-tool Hawkbill? That would be an easy buy for me even if it was 8cr13. I like my Clipit-tool quite a bit.

Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Would probably go for a hawkbill Manbug but would really love a hawkbill Dragonfly. Always really liked the Dragonfly but really loving since I recently got the SE H1 version and have been thinking about how good a hawkbill would work in that size.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I know the Clipit-tools are made in China but they are a great design and for me they improve on the Ladybug/Manbug concept. They have a small choil that maximizes grip while not taking away much more blade then the kick on the Ladybug/Manbug. They also have the more filling grip size/width like a Manbug with the thinner blade stock that the Ladybug has. Best of both. It also has a clip if you want and you can remove it if you don't. Weight is the only area that the Clipit-tool doesn't improve on but the knife is so small that it isn't too significant. If you carry on your keys then the Clipit-tool could be bulky but for me these are all watch pocket knives. I don't mean to hijack or make the poll any more crowded than needed but I think these deserve consideration for a Hawkbill variant too. :D

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I have a few Hawkbill Ladybugs and they are great but we need to keep in mind that Spyderco didn't move the USN version very fast at all.
I always thought that had more to do with the black blade and day glow zombie green. Not everyones cup of tea.
bearfacedkiller wrote:....
I would like a PE FFG Hawkbill.....
I'm with you on the PE FFG 100% :D

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

poll closes on sunday, If you want a small PE hawkbill, vote!

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think the hawkbill LB does the job just fine. It's got a more or less permanent spot on my keychain (and bumped the ZDP LB for that slot).

The new hawkbill I'd be most interested in would be a Dragonfly 2 Salt in H-1, SE. I'd probably buy 2 or 3 immediately if that were released, and likely buy a set of them with logos to gift to people.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ya I kind of messed up, I should have included more options for a hawkbill DFly like H1. Maybe I'll do another more inclusive poll next month.

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Mushroom wrote:Does the Manbug platform really offer that much of a difference to the Ladybug to justify a hawkbill version of both?
In my hands it makes a big difference. Manbug feels way better. I am, however, not interested in a hawkbill Manbug.
- best wishes, Jazz.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

I would be a strong supporter of an H1 hawkbill manbug. My wife and I are both H1 ladybug hawbill fanatics!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:I have a few Hawkbill Ladybugs and they are great but we need to keep in mind that Spyderco didn't move the USN version very fast at all.
I always thought that had more to do with the black blade and day glow zombie green. Not everyones cup of tea.
bearfacedkiller wrote:....
I would like a PE FFG Hawkbill.....
I'm with you on the PE FFG 100% :D
And the USN is not nearly as mainstream as say. Bladeforums. I am a USN member and didn't buy one as I too don't care for zombie green. There is room for a MBHB
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I was sawing the bottom of a plastic bottle in half the other night with my hb ladybug. The Blade functioned perfectly, and it was still very sharp when I was done... but there were a few moments I was fearful of breaking the blade off of the handle. I could use something just a little bit sturdier and I would STILL really like a hawkbill Manbug or Dfly.
zlbhb.jpg

twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

With ZDP's sharpening challenges, a Hawkbill or reverse S in that steel would be a "**** no" for me. I like the discussion though