Anyone see Apostle P's rant on Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mad german

Anyone see Apostle P's rant on Spyderco?

Post by mad german »

Wow! I just saw this video this morning. Has anyone else seen his rant on Spyderco CS? I think he went over the line, myself.

https://youtu.be/X8SxG0MY_aA

I've no issues at all with their CS. I like the CQI that they are doing, as demonstrated by the slight upgrades they've made to the Para 3.

Your thoughts?
My collection is ever changing!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Anyone see Apostle P's rant on Spyderco?

Post by Doc Dan »

He is not god that we must take heed to everything he says, nor anywhere close. He is entitled to his opinions. Those opinions may not be shared by the rest of us. He often has good things to say (if long winded) and sometimes not.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Nope, don't watch any of these self styled internet knife testers, commentators, or reviewers.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There is literally not one person on this planet, not even Sal himself, that I would put 100% trust in reviewing any knife for me. In other words, I form my own opinions. There are some people who I respect and who I believe have similar enough tastes to my own that their opinion is enough to give me an idea of what I can expect, but even those people have "failed me" when my opinion differs from theirs. As a general rule though, I don't put much trust at all in any You Tuber's opinion, because the title alone is proof that it's all about click bait. If they're making money off their channel, I don't trust them. Simple as that.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Evil D wrote:There is literally not one person on this planet, not even Sal himself, that I would put 100% trust in reviewing any knife for me. In other words, I form my own opinions. There are some people who I respect and who I believe have similar enough tastes to my own that their opinion is enough to give me an idea of what I can expect, but even those people have "failed me" when my opinion differs from theirs. As a general rule though, I don't put much trust at all in any You Tuber's opinion, because the title alone is proof that it's all about click bait. If they're making money off their channel, I don't trust them. Simple as that.
I mostly agree with this, especially the first sentence. Most of my youtube viewing of knife reviews is done on mute. I want to see the knife in hand and next to other knives I'm familiar with to get a gauge on it. I have listened to some review by youtube reviewers on knives I already own. I can say from that limited experience, that Apostle P is one of the youtube reviewers I like least, and I have very little interest in his opinions.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Although my experience with Spyderco customer service has always been positive I agree with his take on using red loctite and their warranty policy. I have sent knives that were taken apart to Spyderco and they still treated me fairly, which says alot about how good they treat their customers.

He was off base on a number of things and it sure looked like his Advocate was flipping fine to me.

Sal has directly addressed the issue here on the forum and has acknowledged there is an issue.
We're working on solutions. Patience please.

If you feel you have a problem, you should send it in. The model is on hold until it's sorted.

sal
In my opinion Spyderco could communicate about the issue better. Unless you are a forumite regulary following topics it is very difficult to be in the know. As difficult a business decision as it may be, I think the right thing to do in a situation like this is to publish a formal statement. Put it on your website, email it to your loyal customers. Let us know the model has been put on hold and a fix is in the works. Not everyone is on the forum like us. ** Get ahead of the people making conjectures. **

I really want an Advocate and just want a resolution so I can buy the new CQIed model.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Nope, never do...
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

I was able to get about 60 seconds into it..........

If he has nothing better to do than make that 24 minute video he really needs to get a life.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

The Deacon wrote:Nope, don't watch any of these self styled internet knife testers, commentators, or reviewers.
^^^Plus one on that.^^^
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I've never even watched a utube of his, I prefer to get input from fellow forum members.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I try to take everything I hear from youtube reviewers with a grain of salt, especially when so many of them are doing reviews on knives they just pulled out of the box 10 minutes before hand.
I also dislike how over the top and dramatic many of the "big name" knife reviewers are when expressing their opinions. I see a lot of people all around the internet, just taking these opinions as a fact(Youtube,Facebook,forums,etc.) and regurgitating what they hear from these "big names" because of their status on youtube, as if they can't be wrong.
-Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I can't stand that guy's sniffling!!

YT reviews aren't worth much IMO. I watch them occasionally for what little entertainment value they have but take there opinions for what they're worth....nothing.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I hate to say it but he echoed everything I and others have said. The only thing I didn't agree with is his assessment of the confidentiality notice and the apparent attempt at keeping the issue with the bearings confined to the Advocate when it so clearly affects pretty much any knife run on these bearings.

For the most part I think he's right. We're not talking about 3 dollar knives for people who don't care about knives. We're talking knives that cost as much as guns. Car and some house payments can be made with what some of these knives cost. If we expect certain things out of what we buy then we'll either get it or go somewhere else. The issue and why guys keep bringing it up is because no one who keeps talking about this WANTS to go somewhere else. We actually like what spyderco stands for and WANT to give them our business. That says a lot about what spyderco has done and is doing. The priest won't get great advice from his choir about how to best reach the unsaved. The priest will get great advice from the unsaved about how to reach the unsaved.

I support Sal and Eric but with some of these issues I probably won't buy another spyderco unless some of the exact issues brought up by AposteP are corrected. I say that not because I blindly follow him (I don't follow him at all), but because the issues he is seeing are the same ones I'm seeing. There are other knives being sold that are completely acceptable with great fit and finish and materials used and without the stigma of what was displayed in that video, all for the same price or less. That's just the truth of it. But it also sucks because no one wants to see spyderco fall behind in any way.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

Bodog, I just wanted to say I was really sad to see BF let you go. A wealth of knowledge was lost that day.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

He is one of many Youtubers I detest. I don't watch his channel or any of the others. I especially don't like the fact that all these so called experts sell their channel through sensationalizing things. At that point the tiny spec of credibility that you may have had on youtube is gone. Unfortunately the ramifications of this are huge for Spyderco and now tons of people refuse to buy a knife with a teflon washer because somebody who reviewed a knife said they thought that they were inferior and then coincidentally had a teflon washer fail right after that and then made another video to prove his point. I think these same people may be responsible for making other issues seem much more widespread than they really are. The bearings included. I also bugs me when these same bloggers and youtubers use the forums as a means of self promotion. I watch reviews but prefer to watch videos made by average joes and not "youtubers". Many "youtubers" think very highly of their own opinions. That is off putting.

Another self righteous youtuber pandering to his masses. Pass...

I know that is harsh and accusatory and I admit that I am just speaking from my gut feelings about it but that is the way I see it. I expect this post to not set well with some people. Sorry...
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:He is one of many Youtubers I detest. I don't watch his channel or any of the others. I especially don't like the fact that all these so called experts sell their channel through sensationalizing things. At that point the tiny spec of credibility that you may have had on youtube is gone. Unfortunately the ramifications of this are huge for Spyderco and now tons of people refuse to buy a knife with a teflon washer because somebody who reviewed a knife said they thought that they were inferior and then coincidentally had a teflon washer fail right after that and then made another video to prove his point. I think these same people may be responsible for making other issues seem much more widespread than they really are. The bearings included. I also bugs me when these same bloggers and youtubers use the forums as a means of self promotion. I watch reviews but prefer to watch videos made by average joes and not "youtubers". Many "youtubers" think very highly of their own opinions. That is off putting.

Another self righteous youtuber pandering to his masses. Pass...

I know that is harsh and accusatory and I admit that I am just speaking from my gut feelings about it but that is the way I see it. I expect this post to not set well with some people. Sorry...
You could not have said it any better. I deleted my halfway completed response after reading yours because it was just going to sound redundant..
I have used my Mantra daily for almost a year and it has just gotten sweeter and sweeter.

IF you have a problem with a knife you purchased, send it in and they will take care of you.. Simple as that. The forum as of late has been puked on by petty complaints and daily requests for new knives. Lets be thankful for what we have and keep it positive. This is one place that I can escape politics and arguments. If you arent happy with Spydercos current products, or recent decisions, then please just move along.. It is not our company to run and in my opinion they are the best in the business.Lets leave it at that. You can always go buy a sog or a kershaw...
Last edited by mrtodd777 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

double tap..
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The video is hard to watch/listen to. The number of assumptions the guy makes is ridiculous. Not to mention the blanket statements.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Trevitrace wrote:Bodog, I just wanted to say I was really sad to see BF let you go. A wealth of knowledge was lost that day.
Yeah, it's what happens when you speak the truth about companies that pay the owner of the website to protect them and then tell a moderator who's a troll himself to do something about the other trolls who hide behind subterfuge and blatant *** kissing of those in that position.

Back to the topic
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Liquid Cobra wrote:The video is hard to watch/listen to. The number of assumptions the guy makes is ridiculous. Not to mention the blanket statements.

Would you be willing to list the assumptions and blanket statements so they can be talked about and refuted if necessary instead of making general statements? I don't believe he made many, yes some, but not many. Just wondering what I missed. I don't believe he came from a bad mentality. I think he wants spyderco to be the best and take away some of the things people genuinel5have a problem with. That type of person is often the best listened to. He obviously likes the company but isn't a yes man either.

For instance, I don't agree with his view on the confidentiality notice. I think that was far fetched.
Last edited by Bodog on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.