Opinel question

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bryan123

Opinel question

Post by bryan123 »

Hi,

My current knives are in my sig. I'd like to get an opinel to represent France in my collection.

The legal blade limit where I work is 2.5 inches but I may still choose a #7 or 8.

Do you folks prefer the carbon or stainless steel and if so why? I heard the carbon steel is easier to sharpen and I have a Sharpmaker.

Thanks
Last edited by bryan123 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
holeshot

Re: Opinel question

Post by holeshot »

Opinel knives are good but if you want a higher end French knife check out Artisan Coutelier. They make really nice knives in a variety of styles. Their website allows you to customize any of there knives.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

I have only ever used the carbon steel Opinel's and I really like them quite a bit. They'll take a super sharp edge and hold it for a fairly decent amount of time. I also like the way to carbon steel patinas.

One thing to keep in mind is the No. 6 is the smallest size you can get with the locking ring. So if having the blade locked open is important to you go for a 6 or larger.

remnar

Post by remnar »

My experience is about the same as ShaneInDenver. I've only used the carbon steel models and really like them. They are very easy to get hair popping sharp and hold an edge very well. The patina can be cool but don't neglect them because they can rust and pit. I think they are a great knife for the price.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I own two No. 8s in HC (1095 IIRC) and a No. 6 in stainless (12c27), all of mine were made in the 1980s or 1990s. The carbon steel knives definitely take a sharper finished edge and hold it better as well, but the stainless isn't half bad. The No. 6 has a 2 7/8" blade, so no locking Opinel will be legal for your area... since these knives have no back spring or metal liners, I'd be cautious of the non-locking versions for anything other than extremely light duty use.

The current versions lock closed as well as open, my older knives don't have the closure lock and after a bit of use the blades can get somewhat loose (at least by comparison to a modern knife with an adjustable pivot), one of my No. 8s will even flop open if you shake it. The only way to tighten the pivot is to stake the pivot pin to the desired tension, this is not easily done with the collar lock versions, since the collar only allows access to one side of the pivot at a time. ...also, the handle wood *is* the liner, so high humidity will make the blade tighter (as well as possibly promoting rust on the tang of HC blades) and dry weather will loosen the blade interface.

IMO, the carbon steel Opinel lock blades are an incredible bargain and everyone who is interested in knives should own at least one! The classic varnished beech handles are my favorite, though I keep looking at the olive wood and having lustful thoughts ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am glad you asked this. I own several Opinels and they are among my best knives. I prefer the Inoxidable/Stainless but the carbone/carbon is good too.
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

OP here. I picked up an Opinel 0008 Tactical Weapon System with stainless steel at REI using my yearly dividend so it cost nothing out of pocket.

I am impressed...No blade play and an excellent tactical apple slicer!

Great knife/ tactical weapon system for only $12. I wish everyone who spent $10-15 on a cheap gas station or hardware store knife (Snap-On, Gerber, Smith and Wesson, Stihl, etc) would have bought one of these instead.
Last edited by bryan123 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I've used carbon 10's in my camping kit for decades. Eventually I learned that oiling it before putting it away was easier than cleaning off the rust.... but hey, it's cheap.
I picked up a stainless slimline 12 last summer in France. That IS nice and one heck of a slicer.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

bryan123 wrote:OP here. I picked up an Opinel 00008 tactical weapon system with stainless steel at REI using my yearly dividend so it cost nothing out of pocket.

They lost me with the jaggedy blade profiles and molded plasto-rubberoid handles in multiple colors... the wood handle and basic trailing point blade pattern are the things that make the Opinel classic and iconic, if I want a modern high performance knife there are many lock systems, blade steels and handle profiles that I prefer.
-David

bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

awa54 wrote:
bryan123 wrote:OP here. I picked up an Opinel 00008 tactical weapon system with stainless steel at REI using my yearly dividend so it cost nothing out of pocket.

They lost me with the jaggedy blade profiles and molded plasto-rubberoid handles in multiple colors... the wood handle and basic trailing point blade pattern are the things that make the Opinel classic and iconic, if I want a modern high performance knife there are many lock systems, blade steels and handle profiles that I prefer.
I got the one with the wood handle and basic blade. I feel it has many features that would be highly sought after by the highest of speed and lowest of drag tactical operators. Google Nick Shabazz Opinel and please watch the video, you'll enjoy it.

Remember, you can't spell "tactical operations" without Opinel.
Bryan
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I am "some jackass who wants to bring a knife to a picnic"!

It's a good thing I wasn't drinking a beverage when I watched that video, my computer would have suffered badly!

This is what I thought you were referencing: https://www.opinel-usa.com/collections/ ... rown-green
-David

bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

awa54 wrote:I am "some jackass who wants to bring a knife to a picnic"!

It's a good thing I wasn't drinking a beverage when I watched that video, my computer would have suffered badly!

This is what I thought you were referencing: https://www.opinel-usa.com/collections/ ... rown-green
Glad you enjoyed the video, please like and subscribe. The knife you reference is.... Ridiculous, so I must tell Nick about it. Thanks

Nick really knocked that video out of the ballpark. Even funnier the second time you watch it.
Bryan
arnold ziffle

Post by arnold ziffle »

I like the carbon as well as stainless. with the carbon and mustard you can do this when you get bored. Image
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

I love my #8 in carbon steel. Super easy to sharpen. I did the trick I learned of "acid treating" it with an onion. When I got it new I pushed the blade into a large onion for 24 hours and left it. It came out with an interesting ring pattern and darkened. And this has been protective of the steel from rust.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have several opinels, and they're nice (and inexpensive).

I also have a Laguiole that my parents gave me for christmas, which is very nice.

My favorite french knife is a Nontron paring knife though.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

They also make a 'gardening model' I think it is (can't find mine at the moment) with a stainless spear point blade and a different shaped handle. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Don't sell the 12C27 short. It may chemically be similar to 440A but the way it is made, it is a far better steel. I like the stuff and there is less maintenance. I say this and I am a carbon steel fan.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:Don't sell the 12C27 short. It may chemically be similar to 440A but the way it is made, it is a far better steel. I like the stuff and there is less maintenance. I say this and I am a carbon steel fan.
I think your assessment is spot on Doc! :cool:

I have several knives in 12C27 and have never found it lacking in any regard. :)

I set out to destroy a 12C27 Mora a few years back on a lump of Aussie hardwood and my wrist gave out long before 12C27. :eek:

Is it a razor blade steel?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have several Mora's in 12c27 and love them.

Honestly, there's very little not to love about the cheap Moras.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

As far as I am aware it is not a razor blade steel. I think 13C27 is the one they use for that. 12C27 is a good, basic steel that is commonly used in Scandinavian countries. It is in the 440A class of steels and better than the 420 class of steels. I am a lot more familiar with this, and similar steels, than I am a lot of the newer super steels. It sharpens easily and holds an edge well, and it is tough enough to endure the pounding (pun intended) people subject Mora and other Scandi knives to. I like it, pretty well, because I can sharpen it anywhere, even on a car window. It takes an extremely sharp edge, too, I might add.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050