Got a road bike

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TheKnifeCollector

Re: Got a road bike

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I ride for fun and exercise. When I stopped traveling with my job, one of the things that I REALLY wanted to do, was get myself a bike. I KNEW I didn't want a road bike. I went and test road a few bikes, and had ordered a Haro. They had some Fat bike, and I decided that I wanted to test ride one, and I was hooked. I took the money that I had applied to the Haro, and put it towards my Minnesota Framed 2.0, green & black. This bike is meant to be ridden all year long, and on the beach. I haven't had this much fun riding a bike since I was a kid.I have customized it a bit. :D
I am currently out of commission due to injuries sustained in a bad car accident. I sure DO very much miss riding my bike!!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

As far as distance training, 15 to 30 miles is easy to ride if you're moderately fit, just set a pace that's a few mph under what you do for a ten miler and stick with it. The killer will be saddle comfort past the ten mile mark... it's amazing how much it matters and how a cheap saddle that fits you can outperform an expensive saddle that doesn't (any saddle needs careful adjustment as well). If you have a local bike shop, see if they'll let you try a bunch of different saddles, without committing to buy until you find the one that fits best. Also bar reach and position are things that you will want to sort out for best comfort on longer rides, different length and angle stems are easy to swap. Another thing about the Dolce that might need a change-up is the bars; Specialized seems to assume that all women have narrow shoulders, so you may want to swap for wider reach bars if you have broad shoulders.

Have fun!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Regarding the Fat Bikes with the extra wide tires, I like the design. A question I have is this: Does the extra size of the tire make it easier or more difficult/more strength needed to ride, or it doesn't effect it either way/no real difference between that and standard width tires?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Regarding the Fat Bikes with the extra wide tires, I like the design. A question I have is this: Does the extra size of the tire make it easier or more difficult/more strength needed to ride, or it doesn't effect it either way/no real difference between that and standard width tires?

It works for you and against you. There's no way around the fact that it's more rolling mass and more drag, both aerodynamic and friction. But, the larger tire footprint allows far more traction and stability and allows you to ride in terrain like sand and snow because the tire sits on top of the surface as opposed to digging down into it. Most of those bikes have the gearing to help compensate for the extra drag, and they're really far lighter than they appear (well, the good ones are.. the cheap department store versions will easily weight 50lbs+). The tires also add a bit of suspension effect and make for a way softer ride, I think even softer than most suspension bikes up until the point that suspension travel becomes important.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Regarding the Fat Bikes with the extra wide tires, I like the design. A question I have is this: Does the extra size of the tire make it easier or more difficult/more strength needed to ride, or it doesn't effect it either way/no real difference between that and standard width tires?
The fat tires don't make it more difficult to ride.I think it is easier to ride. I have heard from people that had or have a road bike & a Fat bike, that you get a better work out on the Fat bike. I LOVE riding it, and it is so comfy to ride, that it is so easy to go mile and miles with it. I can get some good speed on it too. I hope this helps.
OMark

Post by OMark »

Nice ride, congrats! Now all you need is a saddle bag to store your knife on rides :cool:
Knife and survival gear nut---always exploring Oregon outdoors.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

oops, wrong thread......
-David

wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

awa54 wrote:oops, wrong thread......
Now that you're here, lets see some photos of your bike(s)

:D
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
awa54

Post by awa54 »

wolfgaze wrote:
awa54 wrote:oops, wrong thread......
Now that you're here, lets see some photos of your bike(s)

:D
It's not that I haven't had things to say on this thread, just that I opened the post a reply window on the *wrong* thread :(

My bikes are currently huddled together for mutual comfort waiting for the warmer weather in my front room/bike workshop...

The Suspects are:

'07 Raleigh Detour Deluxe, aluminum, 8x3 Deore-ish, hybrid/commuter with upgraded BB7 discs, Deore cranks and Busch und Muller lights

'10 Trek FX 7.3, aluminum, 8x3 Deore-ish, hybrid (GF's)

'99 Schwinn Peloton Reynolds 853, Sora/Deore 9x2 compact mishmash, Shimano 500 wheels, CF fork upgrade (GF's)

'16 Specialized Roubaix base, carbon, Tiagra 10x2 compact, Fulcrum Race 5 wheels... has a '15 frame now, since I crashed and broke the chain-side seat stay on the original frame. My LBS (which I live over and used to work at) set me up with a frame swap so I could keep riding instead of waiting for a frame repair. Thanks again Frog Hollow Bikes!

'16 Cannondale Slate Ultegra, aluminum, 650B, lefty front suspension, DT Swiss rim upgrade, Ultegra crank upgrade.

Eventually the Specialized is probably going away, to be replaced by the Slate, but for now I have two road options.

I'll post some images when the weather in VT cooperates :D
-David

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My bikes are in the garage buried since it is still winter here but my road bike is 1987 Trek 560 Pro Series. It shows it's age but rides nice and I used it in a triathalon two years ago. I also have a 2000 Specialized Hardrock A1 Comp FS. It ain't fancy but it fits me perfectly and I have done some crazy stuff on that bike. Neither one is real fancy or worth a lot but they are well maintained and work for me. I have used both of them a lot to make a 25 mile round trip commute to work back when I worked for the man.

Here are some stolen pics since mine are tucked away.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

60 F or better in Vermont tomorrow, time to pump up some tires and oil some chains!
-David

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just got mine out yesterday. We did a 28 mile round trip. So much for starting the season easy lol. Nothing like 28 miles on a beach cruiser lol.
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

28 miles on a beach cruiser? ****. Bonus points if you wore flipflops?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Spydergirl88 wrote:28 miles on a beach cruiser? ****. Bonus points if you wore flipflops?
Nope just my old school Vans lol. It rides like a Lazyboy recliner. It's heavy and the riding position isn't the best for aerodynamics but it's easy on your body and once you get up to a certain speed it's easy to maintain. It's also a 3 speed which makes hills a lot easier and the trail we ride only has very very mellow hills because it's paved over an old railroad track. My butt is a little sore today though because my Brooks saddle isn't fully broken in yet so it's still a hard ride. The springs definitely help though. If I got some proper cycling shorts with a gel padded butt it would be amazing.
~David
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

My bike in front of my wife's hanging over my truck in desperate need of a wash.
IMG_0514.JPG
a Thomas trailer I made for my boys a while back...
IMG_0517.JPG
the trailer I usually use, (they're getting too big for it now)
IMG_0516.JPG
and the one I sold because I had no time to ride since we had the kids
IMG_0515.JPG
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Evil D wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:28 miles on a beach cruiser? ****. Bonus points if you wore flipflops?
Nope just my old school Vans lol. It rides like a Lazyboy recliner. It's heavy and the riding position isn't the best for aerodynamics but it's easy on your body and once you get up to a certain speed it's easy to maintain. It's also a 3 speed which makes hills a lot easier and the trail we ride only has very very mellow hills because it's paved over an old railroad track. My butt is a little sore today though because my Brooks saddle isn't fully broken in yet so it's still a hard ride. The springs definitely help though. If I got some proper cycling shorts with a gel padded butt it would be amazing.
I did a few 30 milers on my '30s Schwinn cruiser, early on it had a New Departure single speed coaster, later in life it graduated to a Sachs/Torpedo 3 speed coaster. Talk about a workout, that thing weighed 45 pounds...

David, they make mountain bike specific shorts that look like street/hiking shorts, but with what amounts to a regular set of road bike shorts as a liner. all the comfort without the look of spandex ;)
-David

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

awa54 wrote:
Evil D wrote:
I did a few 30 milers on my '30s Schwinn cruiser, early on it had a New Departure single speed coaster, later in life it graduated to a Sachs/Torpedo 3 speed coaster. Talk about a workout, that thing weighed 45 pounds...

David, they make mountain bike specific shorts that look like street/hiking shorts, but with what amounts to a regular set of road bike shorts as a liner. all the comfort without the look of spandex ;)

I've seen some but none that I really like style wise. I'll probably just get spandex shorts and wear them under regular shorts. Legend has it that these Brooks seats are crazy good once they break in but it's a long process if you don't ride everyday.

I was on the hunt for an old Schwinn cruiser but around here there are a few collector clubs and a few "rat bike" clubs so it's hard to find anything vintage for cheap. I found my SixThreeZero on Craigslist and wasn't too sure because the reviews are so so but it came with the Nexus 3 speed so I gave it a shot and I really like how it rides. The frame is stretched so the pedals are further forward than most bikes and that gives it a really relaxed feel. I'm a big guy and there's tons of knee room. I'll probably get some nicer wheels and forks eventually but right now it's serving me well.
~David
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:My newest hobby....
How is the biking going?

This week was my first this season to go five days without a break (yeah, I'm in crappy shape) the mileage is unimpressive, but my 60 mile total includes over 4000 feet of climbing, some of it at 20+ % grade, which for me feels like an accomplishment. Some people I know consider that a nice afternoon ride :P
-David

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just gave my Voyageur a little detailing. Thinking about selling her.

~David