Manix2 Backlock!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Post by Doc Dan »

Popsickle wrote:I just got mine and I absolutely love it. In my humble opinion it's better than the CBBL manix in every way :)

It warrants an IMMEDIATE cruwear sprint run.

Give us some pictures. There has only been one person posting pics and we need a fix. :eek:
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Doc Dan wrote:
Popsickle wrote:I just got mine and I absolutely love it. In my humble opinion it's better than the CBBL manix in every way :)

Give us some pictures. There has only been one person posting pics and we need a fix. :eek:
Been awhile since I've posted pictures to spyderco forums lol. Give me time to figure it out.

The g10 has a micarta like feel with the extra fine texture. It opens with a loud SNAP of the back lock. It's very comfortable in the hand although I can see people with smaller hands not liking the thicker handles..... it will depend on your tastes. She is THICK!!! The blade is slightly thicker than a Para 2. There is absolutely ZERO blade play in any direction unlike the backlock on my endura which has up and down since the day I got it. Larger screws/pivot all the way around.... even the clip screws. Fit and finish is top notch as expected from spyderco. I can already tell you I would love an XL.
Last edited by Popsickle on Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Doc Dan wrote:

https://instagram.com/p/BS5PIHKgtxx/

It's multiple pictures so swip to see the rest
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks for the great pics, Popsickle. I really like having the option for smoother G-10 and no bumpy liner jimping in a platform which is my favorite even without that option :p
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

DougC-3 wrote:Thanks for the great pics, Popsickle. I really like having the option for smoother G-10 and no bumpy liner jimping in a platform which is my favorite even without that option :p
Happy to help. I'll post more I'm sure
I wasn't a fan of the CBBL(I know I'm in the minority), the jimping all over the knife or the thin handle/blade. This back lock Manix 2 fixes literally EVERYTHING I disliked about the original manix 2..... and this coming from a guy who at one point had every sprint manix 2. I'm looking forward to seeing how this knife pans out sales wise and if it's a one and done or they actually release sprint runs.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks for the pics!

We need to start a campaign to get this knife into a lot of hands so Spyderco will keep it in the line up and give us an XL.
I would not mind an FRN version, either.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

Thanks for the pics! I am excited for this one as well. It's it anything like the Native 5 backlock in fit and finish, it's going to be great!
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Doc Dan wrote:Thanks for the pics!

We need to start a campaign to get this knife into a lot of hands so Spyderco will keep it in the line up and give us an XL.
I would not mind an FRN version, either.
Presume it would just be FRN with liners but that would be a great blade!
I'll take the Cruwear in both G10 and FRN! ;)
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

I got my back lock Manix 2 in today. I took some comparison pics next to a well-known Manix 2 with the ball bearing lock.

Identical blade shapes

Spyderco's CQI is impressive. It seems like each Spyderco I get nowadays, keeps getting better!

Slight difference in blade thickness, but honestly, it doesn't really stand out, unless you have them side by side.

The larger pivot pin screws are a nice touch. I'm not sure if the actual pivot pin itself is larger or not?

One of the biggest differences is the thickness in hand.

Everything on the spine side is perfectly mated. The g10 slabs and lockbar/backspacer is flawlessly blended together. The stainless backspacer and lockbar is kinda sexy!

I really like the new "micro" peel ply texture on the backlock Manix! Tacky, matte feeling to them and I can tell it's a little easier on the jeans pockets.

Compared to a Stretch 2

And in between a Delica and Endura

Like the Stretch 1 and 2, the Manix backlock looks very similar to the Manix ball bearing, but feel very different in hand. I have to admit, that the spring on this backlock is strong as a bear trap! In all honesty, after playing with this backlock for a bit, the ball bearing lock feels puny when it snaps open. This is awesome that there is so much spring pressure on this backlock, stronger than any other backlock I've experienced from Spyderco. I guess you'd have to experience it for yourself to see! Given my initial impressions, I love both versions and will have multiples of each in my cutlery arsenal! Thanks again Spyderco for another homerun!

roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

91bravo wrote:I got my back lock Manix 2 in today. I took some comparison pics next to a well-known Manix 2 with the ball bearing lock.

Identical blade shapes

Spyderco's CQI is impressive. It seems like each Spyderco I get nowadays, keeps getting better!

Slight difference in blade thickness, but honestly, it doesn't really stand out, unless you have them side by side.

The larger pivot pin screws are a nice touch. I'm not sure if the actual pivot pin itself is larger or not?

One of the biggest differences is the thickness in hand.

Everything on the spine side is perfectly mated. The g10 slabs and lockbar/backspacer is flawlessly blended together. The stainless backspacer and lockbar is kinda sexy!

I really like the new "micro" peel ply texture on the backlock Manix! Tacky, matte feeling to them and I can tell it's a little easier on the jeans pockets.

Compared to a Stretch 2

And in between a Delica and Endura

Like the Stretch 1 and 2, the Manix backlock looks very similar to the Manix ball bearing, but feel very different in hand. I have to admit, that the spring on this backlock is strong as a bear trap! In all honesty, after playing with this backlock for a bit, the ball bearing lock feels puny when it snaps open. This is awesome that there is so much spring pressure on this backlock, stronger than any other backlock I've experienced from Spyderco. I guess you'd have to experience it for yourself to see! Given my initial impressions, I love both versions and will have multiples of each in my cutlery arsenal! Thanks again Spyderco for another homerun!

Nice write up and comparative pics. Its like an F18 Super Hornet and the legacy Hornet. Its a Super Manix 2!
anycal

Post by anycal »

Awesome pics and comparison.

Resist... I... must! Someone... help...
Peter
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Won't get any help here, like you and many others I'm trying to resist but not sure how long I can hold out. :p
anycal

Post by anycal »

Wasn't really on my radar. The only planned purchase for this year was the new Police.

'Planned', as I sit here looking at my Military and my second PM2, both gotten in the last two months. Wait, what's this in my pocket? Oh yeah, a Native purchased not too long ago. :eek:
Peter
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks for the photos. Mine is still in transit. I did not pay for overnight shipping so it will be a week or so till it arrives.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Very cool pics, unfortunately couldn't afford to order the Stretch 2 with it yet but also waiting for the Manix. It'll take a bit before it get's to EU as well.
Was lucky to check it out at the Spydiemeet, can't wait to have it in my pocket!
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

After carrying this one all afternoon, I can only wish that they will do the same thing to the Manix xl. I've loving the STRONG backlock!
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

double post
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

91bravo wrote:After carrying this one all afternoon, I can only wish that they will do the same thing to the Manix xl. I'm loving the STRONG backlock!
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

triple post
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

As a Manix fan, I'm glad to have these useful pics. Thanks.

The anti-jimpers seem to have been heard. And my worries about the tip-up option have been favorably answered.

Now, if I can get over my admittedly irrational need for liners (I'll be listening for hard-use reports...), and if something like Maxamet is offered, I'll get it.

In the meantime, I have finally found a beefier original S30V (the foliage green sprint) in new condition at a price I can swallow.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”