Does anyone EDC a slipit, if so what are your reasons? Pros/cons. Thanks in advance

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
OnTheGulf

Does anyone EDC a slipit, if so what are your reasons? Pros/cons. Thanks in advance

Post by OnTheGulf »

Been lurking on the forum for longer than I will admit. I decided to join so I could ask experienced users about certain models that I do not yet own. Saftey orange Irban Wharncliffe has caught my eye...
TomAiello

Re: Does anyone EDC a slipit, if so what are your reasons? Pros/cons. Thanks in advance

Post by TomAiello »

You should post this in the general forum. "Restricted Models" is usually things like Automatic Openers, Balisongs, etc.

To answer the question, though, I EDC slip its when traveling in some jurisdictions. I generally don't EDC them at home (in Idaho) though.

My favorite EDC slip it is probably the UK Penknife (looking forward to it in s110v), although the Pingo gets some pocket time when traveling, especially if I am going through multiple countries and don't know all the local laws.
The Deacon

Re: Does anyone EDC a slipit, if so what are your reasons? Pros/cons. Thanks in advance

Post by The Deacon »

Never. Locking folders and automatics are legal where I live, so I can't see any reason to carry a SlipIt or slip joint. On the other hand they're going to have a strong backspring which makes them more difficult to open and close than a locking folder. Given the condition of my hands, I consider that a major con.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I carried a UK Pen Knife in addition to my Military for a while. I'd keep the Military IWB and use the UKPK for most jobs. Nice knife but its easier to just carry one, so I went with the larger locking folder.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I grew up using slip joints (more specifically Swiss Army type knives and Okapis) so I am very comfortable using non-locking knives. The fact that a knife doesn't lock shouldn't be a limitation (as long as it has a decent backspring). Sure, for "hard use" (whatever that is) I'd prefer a locking blade but for normal, every day tasks considerations like the grind / blade geometry, comfort of the handle, whether or not it shreds pockets are higher on my priority list than what type of lock the knife has or doesn't have. As always, YMMV.

I carry a PITS and a Terzoula fairly frequently.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not since I was very young unless you count SAK's. When I was young I carried a Case a lot but even that eventually got replaced by a 110. I don't even EDC a SAK on me but I keep one in my bag that goes with me everywhere.

Personally I feel safer with a friction folder. I don't like the back spring feeling of most slip joints and I really dislike the overly strong close bias that most have, I once cut the tip of my pinky clean off with the Kiwi slipit during closing. With a friction folder the blade only does exactly what I make it do, I don't want or need a spring forcing the blade to move in any direction.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I carry a few different Stockmen pattern folders and I also often carry a SAK. I carry quite a few non locking folders.

I think Paul touched on the biggest difference for me. A slip it relies on a strong back spring to hold it open and add a little security. While I do prefer a positive snap upon opening my slip joints there is no denying that that strong spring makes them more difficult to open than most locking folders.

Sometimes I think I like some locks more for the smooth free swinging pivots that they allow over the actual security of the lock.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sometimes I think I like some locks more for the smooth free swinging pivots that they allow over the actual security of the lock.
I think we have a winner ....
ksorota

Post by ksorota »

I enjoy carrying a slipit as EDC for work and around the home. The ease of use without having to worry about a lock is what makes it favorable, plus when other people want to use my knife for something I do not have to watch them fumble with a compression or liner lock eventually leading them to hand me the knife with an open blade.

My personal favorite is the PITS, the simplicity and elegance of the slipit mechanism is just a joy to use. If I am doing harder tasks, such as breaking down lots of cardboard, yard work, cutting zip ties then I prefer a locking blade, but for EDC the slipit works for me.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'm a big fan of the UKPK and Urban slip-its even though I have multiple locking alternatives available to me and I'm not under any legal carry restrictions in my area. I don't carry them all the time, but think they're great to have in the rotation or as a companion to a larger, locking blade.

In addition to agreeing with the "pros" already cited by others, they're just really appealing designs to me. The UKPK and Urban are basically lightweight variants of the Calys, they disappear in the pocket. I also really like the "grid" frn texture they use. I've never had an issue with the lack of a lock on them for my typical edc uses, just like I've never wanted a locking SAK. However, I would generally grab a locking folder or fixed blade for heabier cutting, yard or outdoor work, etc...

I think if you search around here and on youtube, you'll find they have a strong following for good reason.
:spyder:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Maybe I'm not using my knives hard enough but I've yet to come across a task that a slipjoint couldn't handle. From opening hard shell packaging, letters, cutting food to breaking down boxes it's always worked for me. I never make a cut that isn't away from me. The strong spring is nice to have as it helps keep the blade in the open position but it isn't really required. The older FRN ukpk's had really weak springs and they worked just fine. The finger choil helps keep the blade in place. The others make a good point that it isn't the smoothest opening but if you open it in a slow controlled motion instead of a flick it works just fine.

I consider the lack of lock to be a good thing when it comes to closing the knife. Nothing to fiddle with, just push the blade closed and stick it back in your pocket. There's something oddly satisfying about how quick and easy that is to do. This lends itself to being a great knife for when you need to pull from your pocket, make a cut and put it away repeatedly. Not that I'm not well practiced and plenty fast with my locking knives as well.

The other nice bonus to a slipit design is the weight loss. My FRN ukpk is ridiculously light in the pocket, as are the other designs by Spyderco. Add liners, locks, knives start to get heavier right.

I'm able to carry what ever I want except for automatics and balisongs where I live, but I carry slipits a lot of the time because I enjoy them. It's their simplicity that really does it for me. Did I mention price? They are relatively inexpensive when compared to most other offerings in the Spyderco line up too. Pick one up and give it a try!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My office edc is a Pingo. Need small knives for office carry so they will fit in my pocket. Also I like the wire clip. Get an Urban you will love it. I prefer the newer Italian made urban compared to the Japanese made discontinued urban but that's just me. You should also consider the sprint K390 urban available now. Lightweight, great steel. Not stainless steel though.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
timlara

Post by timlara »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Maybe I'm not using my knives hard enough but I've yet to come across a task that a slipjoint couldn't handle. From opening hard shell packaging, letters, cutting food to breaking down boxes it's always worked for me. I never make a cut that isn't away from me. The strong spring is nice to have as it helps keep the blade in the open position but it isn't really required. The older FRN ukpk's had really weak springs and they worked just fine. The finger choil helps keep the blade in place. The others make a good point that it isn't the smoothest opening but if you open it in a slow controlled motion instead of a flick it works just fine.

I consider the lack of lock to be a good thing when it comes to closing the knife. Nothing to fiddle with, just push the blade closed and stick it back in your pocket. There's something oddly satisfying about how quick and easy that is to do. This lends itself to being a great knife for when you need to pull from your pocket, make a cut and put it away repeatedly. Not that I'm not well practiced and plenty fast with my locking knives as well.

The other nice bonus to a slipit design is the weight loss. My FRN ukpk is ridiculously light in the pocket, as are the other designs by Spyderco. Add liners, locks, knives start to get heavier right.

I'm able to carry what ever I want except for automatics and balisongs where I live, but I carry slipits a lot of the time because I enjoy them. It's their simplicity that really does it for me. Did I mention price? They are relatively inexpensive when compared to most other offerings in the Spyderco line up too. Pick one up and give it a try!
Well said. You touched on the main point that I was going to make as well, which is that for all the light duty tasks that I typically use my EDC for, I find that the UKPK is perfectly capable and it's nice to just close it without having to unlock anything. I too used to use non-locking classic SAK type knives when I was a kid and the design of the UKPK with the strong spring and the choil make it feel a million times safer to use.

I also just really like the design of the UKPK, enough that I'd be pretty happy with it as my only knife if I lived somewhere that I couldn't have bigger / locking blades.

If a lightweight FRN version of the Caly3 existed, I'd probably choose it over the UKPK, but since it doesn't, the UKPK is the closest match for that form factor.
Tim
jstrange

Post by jstrange »

I just received a UKPK in the mail. It's light, sharp as heck, and has plenty of blade. Just playing around with it, I can't see where this thing could close on you under any realistic use for a knife this size, especially with a finger on the choil. I plan on making it my EDC for awhile to test it out.
:spyder: jstrange
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

The pits is one of my regular carries. The effort to open it is very slightly more than my endura.
It's a lot like a back lock in that it has a close bias, unlike a liner lock and such.
I really like it and have used it for cutting card board and such. The only weakness would be a stabbing cut. If you are going point down into card board it might fold on you.
I was trying to pry a stubborn ice cube out of the tray and it did fold on me. The pits has a nice choil that will pinch you before cutting and that is what happened.
The other benefit is that there are fewer parts and the weight on some can be really low.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

There aren't really any restrictions where I live and, while I usually carry a locking knife, I also enjoy carrying my UKPK or Urban just to change things up. I think the slip-joints are great for light EDC tasks and I've never felt I was at risk of the knife folding on me.

If you have the chance to buy the orange Wharncliffe Urban for a decent price I would go for it. I don't think you'll regret it!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Never. I've had several accidents with slip joints in hard use when I was younger. Trying to work too fast, carelessness, and stupidity likely all factored into my experiences. Since locking knives are legal where I live that's my preference, for safety sake.

I do keep a SAK Compact in my office desk and one in my travel bag for international travel; and I have about 15 more scattered about in my cars, backpacks, briefcases, etc.. I do love 'em for their convenience and non-threatening format. However, for EDC in U.S., it's always a locking folder on me.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've considered getting a spyderco Squeak a few times, but I haven't carried a slip joint knife edc since I was 13. I keep a big swiss army type slipjoint with screwdrivers and scissors ect, for emergencies in my car though.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

I like to change my knife almost daily. I find locking knives much more fun to play with but I have a few non locking knives that get pocket time. I have never had a cutting job that a non locking knife couldn't handle.
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

I don't know why, but I really like the slipits. I started with the UKPK and when the Denmark PK came out, it was my EDC for a long time. I even bought a Ti Squeak to carry on my wedding day. Maybe because they are a little old fashioned, or simple, or whatever. I just love them. I have a K390 Urban on order from National Knives right now. To me, few knives feel as good in the hand as a UKPK.