Anyone able to help with this clip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
carl3989

Anyone able to help with this clip?

Post by carl3989 »

The clip on this Firefly is so tight that I'm unable to attach it to my pocket. Even though it's a gentleman folder it has a clip so I think it should be used to clip rather than have the knife loose in my pocket. Any suggestion are much appreciated. Thank you.Image
VashHash

Re: Anyone able to help with this clip?

Post by VashHash »

I would suggest taking it off the knife and adjusting it to your preferred tension. It would take some trial and error though.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

You could try removing the clip and slightly bending it to ease the tension.
-Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have/had the same issue with my Firefly. I slight bend does help but the clip is so small that you have to get it just right to make it work ok.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Like others have already said, remove and tweak it to your liking. You could also contact someone who does custom work and have them fab something up for you.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You may try folding up a piece of paper and wedging it under the clip for a few days if you don't feel like removing the clip. That may be enough to loosen it up enough.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

Remove the clip. Wrap the end that attaches to the knife in a cloth and clamp in a pair of pliers. Then bend the clip outward to make it a little looser. You will likely have to put it back on the knife several times and continue to tweak it. If you bend it too far just bend it back the other way. I do this with all my clips to get the desired tension.
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

I have a similar problem with most of my knives - regardless of brand. I wear heavy Duluth work pants, and I have not had a single clip fit out of the box. What I've found is that if I put the knife in my pocket, with the clip opening against the heavy material, and push while prying the clip open with my thumbnail, I can get the knife to clip on. I do this for a week or two, and then the clip fits just fine. This way, I don't have to worry about taking the clip off (and the potential for me slipping and scratching something as I do) to do the re-fitting.

Just a thought.