Rediscovered the Resilience...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DansGunBlog

Rediscovered the Resilience...

Post by DansGunBlog »

I recently rediscovered the Resilience after quite a while, and thought I'd share...

For some time now, my regular EDC has been the most excellent Military (review here), with a recently added SE Pacific Salt companion blade (review way overdue, coming soon). Both excellent knives, strongly recommended.

To my surprise, over the past year, the Pacific Salt has become the one to grab when I only carry one, i.e. running, at the gym, etc. Basically the good-sized blade, very narrow profile, light weight, combined with its solid build is a no-brainer. Rust resistance against sweat is also handy, quick rinse and you're done.

Surprisingly, the Pacific Salt is even comfortable against bare skin clipped inside running shorts or inside a belly band running holster for the Glock.

But in recent months I've rediscovered my first Spyderco knife, the Resilience (review here).

The Resilience isn't super light and sleek like the Pacific Salt or Military at all, it's not made of a fancy super steel, it doesn't feel as refined as the Military. So for my day-to-day needs, it's not the choice for EDC.

BUT... it's a **** solid, overbuilt knife with a good-sized usable blade, it cuts well, and it has good ergonomics. It's inexpensive (read: good value for what you get), easy to sharpen, and tough. Heck, I've even whittled with it out of curiosity lol.

I keep one on my desk for general stuff like opening boxes, etc., and just got another one for my daily grab 'n go bag ( 5.11 MOAB 6 bag - highly recommended). Also got a Tenacious to keep in each car... same concept.

As always, what's the right knife? The right tool for the job is often a personal choice, it's the tool that does the job well for you, the tool that makes the job easier and makes you more effective.

Anyone else have the higher end knives and still find good use for the Resilience (or Tenacious)?

Cheers!
Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
Bill1170

Re: Rediscovered the Resilience...

Post by Bill1170 »

A good friend of mine bought a Resilience and modded it heavily to weigh less and wave open. I think it is now his favorite folder!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd love to see one in LC200N. It would make an excellent food prep knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ray Allen

Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

My Resilience has been my dedicated "beater"'knife for a number of years now, a role it fills quite well.
Cheers....
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

I bought a combination edge Tenacious and liked it so much
I also bought a full SE Tenacious which is now my EDC.

The Value Line knives do indeed represent good value for the money.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
DansGunBlog

Re: Ray Allen

Post by DansGunBlog »

Ray Allen wrote:My Resilience has been my dedicated "beater"'knife for a number of years now, a role it fills quite well.
Cheers....
Indeed Ray, the Resilience is one **** of an excellent "beater" knife. I resisted using that word in the title for my Resilience review, but it was **** hard. :D

DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Not sure about adding higher-end steel to this knife...

I think Spyderco has nailed an excellent value proposition with the build and materials included currently... at $50 delivered for this knife, it's a **** good value and the reason I've bought more than few of them lol.

ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I like it so much it is, in fact, the one and only non-Salt Spyderco I have.
It was my first Spydie, and the one that hooked me. In the next year of that purchase I bought 8 Spydies more, if that tells you something. Paid $70 here in Europe for it, it was worth that!

It feels and handles much nicer than most offerings on that price range, delivers excellent performance (awesome hiking/camping folder and great food knife!) and is an extraordinary value piece.

My favorite of the "Value" series, and a much loved "grab this one instead" of my collection. Long live the Resilience!
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

"It feels and handles much nicer than most offerings on that price range"
^^ THIS.

powernoodle

Post by powernoodle »

Spyderco Resilience.
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Well spoken; a big knife that gets little press 'n praise.

When I have a BigKnifeTask that may beat the heck out of the blade, I don't hesitate to use the Resilience, leaving sundry 'special" Millies and PMs forlorn and forgotten. (fodder for a query by the Better Half: "Well, why do you need them, then?")

Similar in fashion to how I used to freely use the big ol' backlock Manices for all manner of hard use. Yard, orchard, Ranch and garden, a Resilience is handy to have at the ready.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

definitely my favorite off-grid camping folder