What is your favorite/most used lock type?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What is your favorite lock type?

Backlock or Midlock
33%
Liner/Frame lock
25%
BBL/CBBL
8%
Compression lock
33%

Total votes: 205

harronek

Re: What is your favorite/most used lock type?

Post by harronek »

Im a bit unusual in that I have never owned or even held a Compression lock Soyderco .
Everything I've read about them seems to be very complimentary, so I suspect they are very good .
I have nothing against that lock type its just None of the Compression lock Spydercos appeal to me .
All I own are lockbacks and linerlocks so its not hard to guess what I voted for .

The Blade retention of a lockback is a very important factor to me because I also carry IWB a lot .
Also as time has gone by , my knives have got smaller , lighter and simpler and the multitude of FRN lockback Spydercos of all sizes means there is little reason for me to look elsewhere .

Ken
timlara

Post by timlara »

I prefer the compression lock, mainly due to the ease of use (well, for righties, anyway) and for the smooth action it affords.

Back lock / midlock is my second choice since it's tried and true, but for me it's not quite as fun / elegant to use as the compression lock.
Tim
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

CBBL for me. I would love to see more knives with this. Particularly something sleek and slim like the GB2 but with CBBL. I know the lock takes up more space so that might be difficult.

Love the smoothness, ease of use, strength and , symmetry.

Looking forward to the new D'Allara but kind of wish it were CBBL. Although I appreciate that Spyderco is staying true to the original design.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The interesting thing about this question for me is how my answer may differ if I could get any lock on any model. My answer is heavily influenced by my favorite knife models, and then those knives just happen to have whatever lock they have.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm gonna say the Szabo Folders implementation of the compression lock, followed by lockbacks, followed by regular compression locks. liner / framelocks are my least favorite. Caged BBL are nice too but they take a bit more effort to close one handed.

The compression lock is the easiest for me to operate. Easy to open, easy to close with either hand, I love it.

However I've had my PM2 pop open twice in the past year while carrying it IWB while jogging or doing similar athletic activities. Pretty scary when I realize what happened, thankfully no cuts yet.

Which brings me to my second favorite lock, the Spyderco style lockback. My favorite feature of the lock back is its strong self close. I also find them incredibly easy to close one handed by squeezing the lock release with my thumb and keeping my index finger in the spyderhole to guide the blade closed.

That's why the Szabo folder has my favorite lock. Its as easy to manipulate as my other compression locks, but has a strong self close mechanism that operates just like a lockback for the end user. It gives me more faith carrying the Szabo IWB than any liner / compression / frame lock detent does.

Unfortunately I have a tendency to like niche Spyderco offerings, and AFAIK there's no plans to use this lock type again in the future. I voted lockback in the poll.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I would have to say my favorite lock is the compression lock. But I have a lot of knives with backlocks, so that would make it the most used, i do like a quality backlock too. Good thing you get 2 votes.
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've got 13 liner locks in the collection, but since first trying the compression lock on the pm2 I haven't bought a single liner lock and I doubt I ever will again. The Compression lock obsoletes the liner lock for me. I still like backlocks on smaller knives, but don't like them on a larger knife because I don't like large sharp blades that are capable of accidentally snapping themselves closed with a spring assist from the back lock should you for one reason or another only get the blade 1/3 of the way open (this happens to me all the time practicing with training knives).
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have all the ones listed, and accommodate each with little difficulty.

But I prefer the compression lock (I'm on the left side of ambidextrous), partly because I like the utter simplicity and easy cleaning of an open-back knife, and partly because it's Sal's design.

Sal, more than anyone else, has made my love of knives and their maintenance a rational, informed thing. When I carry a PM2, a Superleaf, a Sage5 etc., I give Sal an extra nod.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

My post this morning didn't register. :confused:

Backlock
Allows for thin/light/compact dimensions that is very important to me.

Spyderco makes most of their lockbacks with full one hand operation in mind. As easy to manipulate as anything.

Strong, dependable and less part to fail.

That said, I very much enjoy the other popular locks also.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Sometimes I feel like the backlock gets overlooked or doesn't get quite the credit it deserves because it lacks a bit of the "cool factor". I'm happy to see it holding its own quite well in the poll.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

[x] Other: Bolt Lock
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Voted Compression Lock. I like keeping my fingers out of harms way the most. :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Surfingringo wrote:Sometimes I feel like the backlock gets overlooked or doesn't get quite the credit it deserves because it lacks a bit of the "cool factor". I'm happy to see it holding its own quite well in the poll.
Agreed. The strong self closing mechanism is a wonderful thing, and the smoothness of a well-seasoned lockback cannot be over-stated :)
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

Spydersense wrote:Voted Compression Lock. I like keeping my fingers out of harms way the most. :)
This^^

I absolutely love the Compression lock. I'm so happy that Spyderco is starting to put them in the flippers. It's just such a cool lock, unique to Spyderco.

I love pressing that liner and having my blade flip down gracefully and for some reason I handle it better. My pinky is never in harms way.

And like the liner, it has the open design for easy cleaning. The compression lock is THE KING of all locks! haha
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Backlock/midlock by a long shot. Next would be compression followed by frame lock.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

It's not surprising that Back/Mid Lock garners so many votes. For the longest time it was by far the most prevalent lock on Spyderco folders. Also, not surprised with Compression Lock getting so many votes now that it's more than just in the ever popular ParaMilitary. The upcoming Compression Lock flippers should accelerate this pace.

However, I'm a Liner/Frame Lock fan and no it's not dangerous if you've used it for a while. Some argue against locks where your finger is in the way of the closing blade. Personally, that argument is a non-issue.

When you look at folders on BladeHQ the top three locks in that order are: Frame Lock, Liner Lock and Back Lock.

A poll conducted by Knife News in November 2015 where participants could choose more than one lock:

Last edited by RamZar on Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

My taste in locks has changed over time. Comp lock used to be my favourite for a long time. Right now I vote CBBL. IMHO it have all the good things of other locks, without their problems.
Easy to manipulate both hands as the back lock, but without the legendary up and down blade play;) Good self close and great "detent". I can flick it open in many ways, or just slowly open with my thumb in one smooth motion. Strong detent used to be a problem when you want to open your liner/frame/comp lock knife slowly. It end up in harsh movement. No lock stick and I mean absolutely no lock stick. I have lock stick on Comp lock, liner and frame locks ( not on every knife, but most ot them), but CBBL doesn't have it. With ceramic ball in it is even smoother. I like the way CBBL close. Fingers are naturally away of blade and all grip the handle. Blade falls down and close itself in one simple motion. I love it. It is work of a genius. Eric, I am looking at you:)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'd be fine with only back locks. Secure, I love the dent, easy, and they don't pinch me like every bloody compression lock I try. I think I'm done with those. Liner and frame locks do not make me feel secure at all. Caged ball is okay, but I feel like the cage maybe isn't that strong.
- best wishes, Jazz.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I'm with you Lance, including the thwack ;)
Also with you Jazz, even though I like my GB1.
Recently tried CBBL, it's ok ... but requires pinching and pulling back. Less convenient or I simply haven't tried enough.

The only compression lock I tried is PM2 and I closed it like backlock (thumb press sideways, index in Spydiehole, rotate the blade closed in controlled manner). Still like backlock/midlock much more. I know I like symmetry, that's probably why.
Chris :spyder:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the mid back lock best of all. There is no doubt it is the strongest and I like the bias towards close as it is safer. I have had knives open unintentionally. I carry my knives iwb or in my pocket out of sight and who wants a detent to let go and a razor sharp blade suddenly be next to your skin? Frame and liner locks are convenient but not great for really hard use in my experience. I am actually pumped about the new Police 4 as I will get a Military sized mid back lock knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050