Captain Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What type if steel for the sprint Captain

M390
57%
SUPERBLUE
10%
Hap 40
12%
Zdp189
4%
Thor Damascus ☺
18%

Total votes: 51

zdog357

Captain Sprint Run

Post by zdog357 »

I have a dream... How cool would it be if a Spydero Captain Sprint Run were produced! I know I would be all over it... Hmmmmm
I'm thinking solid CF scales with M390 steel.. Thoughts?
JD Spydo

Re: Captain Sprint Run

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah!! I'll take another C-111 Captain model>> but only if they offer it up with the inner arch part of the blade being serrated this time :cool: I truly believe that the CAPTAIN model would really shine in Spyderedge>> keep the pendulum end PE but again if the inner arch is Spyderedged there are just so many more jobs you could do with that great Jason Breeden model :cool:

I also voted for M390 for the blade steel which is quickly becoming about my all time favorite blade steel. Also I think it would be cool to do the handle with a nuclear color like orange, yellow, blue, or even nuclear green just like the USN Sprint Catcherman model was done in.
Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

Yes, I would grab multiples of an m390 Captain.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would buy one in practically any steel, but H1 would probably be my first choice even if it wasn't a full Salt level knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Count me in for two if it is m390.
zdog357

Post by zdog357 »

Let's get this hype fire going and make this happen!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I probably would not. This was one of those designs that left me asking, "Why?" To me it looks like something from a Chinese made brand knife catalog, you know, one of those fantasy knives. But that is just me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I'd like a Captain at a reasonable price. Wish I would have picked one up when they were discontinued (I also wish I had a dollar for every time I wished that as well ;)).
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ohcyclist wrote:Count me in for two if it is m390.
Two Sprint Run C-111 Captain models>> the serrated/Spyderedged version ( inner arch serrated) with a yellow G-10 handle in LC200N and a green or blue G-10 handled, M390 plain edge. Yeah they should do 600 each which would make it an excellent Sprint Run. It's just not fair that we never got to try out the Captain in Spyderedge IMO.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Doc Dan wrote:I probably would not. This was one of those designs that left me asking, "Why?" To me it looks like something from a Chinese made brand knife catalog, you know, one of those fantasy knives. But that is just me.
I'm with Dan on this one. Unless someone can explain it so it makes more sense, I put the captain in the same box as the battle station.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

You would have to pay me to take a Captain. No way I'm paying for that thing. Just not my cup of tea.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
zdog357

Post by zdog357 »

Everyone has different tastes I suppose. There have been a few models over the years that I simply did not get. Can't force everyone to like the Captain. I've never liked the Pm2... People think that it is crazy that I don't own one. But to each his own.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I would have preferred M4.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

zdog357 wrote:Everyone has different tastes I suppose. There have been a few models over the years that I simply did not get. Can't force everyone to like the Captain. I've never liked the Pm2... People think that it is crazy that I don't own one. But to each his own.
Zdog, I have only seen photos of the captain. Can you share what you like about it?
Do you or did you own one?
What have you found it particularly good for?
How is it to sharpen?
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I love my Captain and would definitely go for a sprint if the price is right! :)

[EDIT]
From what I've heard, they didn't go all that well with initial sales,
but maybe there'll be a sprint at some point in time.
Here's mine:
Last edited by DutchBlades on Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
zdog357

Post by zdog357 »

Zdog, I have only seen photos of the captain. Can you share what you like about it?
Do you or did you own one?
What have you found it particularly good for?
How is it to sharpen?[/quote]

I carried one for many years. I found the shape of the blade to be highly effective for many different tasks. I loved the fact that you could push the tip and belly of the tip into anything to create a large hole. Or just use the very top at a high angle for delicate cuts. The curve of blade made It great for catching/grabbing onto the item being cut. Serrations would be nice but I think I would still prefer the plain edge. Serrations would definenlty have kept the blade sharp longer.
It was relatively difficult to sharpen due to the shape but I got used to it. Enjoyed sharpening it by hand. The VG10 was easy to sharpen and would stay sharp for a reasonable amount of time.
It also just fits the hand like a glove. It was one of the most comfortable knives I've ever owned. The only down side for me is the liner lock. If the liner lock had been slightly more pronounced it would have been the perfect edc knife. Or is difficult to close with gloves on.
The other improvement I would love to see it a higher quality steel.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The C-111 Captain model is one that truly would benefit greatly if the inner-arch part of the blade would be Spyderedged. Both of Jason Breedens Spyderco collaboration I thought would have been excellent work blades in Spyderedge. Particularly that RESCUE model that he did>>What RESCUE Type blade did Spyderco ever do that wasn't available in Spyderedge :confused:

But again keep the rounded, pendulum end of the blade in PE and make the inner arch part of the blade with teeth. I don't think you would have them on the shelves very long at all.

For years I've wanted to ask Mr. Breeden what he specifically designed that C-111 Captain for? Because if my memory is right I believe his original prototype of the Captain that he designed did have the inner arch part of the blade serrated??
benben

Post by benben »

I bought a NIB Captain a couple of years back, it's been in my safe since the day I bought it. I've taken it out several times just to play with it and as JD said, wonder what Jason originally had in mind when he designed the Captain? I've never used it because I never wanted to hurt the value of it. Forgive me, I know you guys love safe queens........
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:I bought a NIB Captain a couple of years back, it's been in my safe since the day I bought it. I've taken it out several times just to play with it and as JD said, wonder what Jason originally had in mind when he designed the Captain? I've never used it because I never wanted to hurt the value of it. Forgive me, I know you guys love safe queens........
Hey I don't blame you at all for keeping that one model as a collector piece because they are starting to get really tough to find. The one "user" C-111 Captain I had I ended up trading>> I can't gripe about it because I got my M390 Military out of the deal :cool: And the other guy got what he really wanted>> but it was sure tough to package that bad boy up to trade away. Because since that day I haven't had another one offered to me since.

But if Spyderco would do a Spyderedged version of the C-111 and Breeden RESCUE both in Spyderedge I think they would be most pleasantly surprised with how rapidly they would sell even at full rippin retail :cool: . Because I just know in my gut that the C-111 Captain will have a lot more practical uses in SE. And the same can be said for the Breeden RESCUE as well. I would most certainly like to hear Mr. Breeden comment on those two great designs of his :cool: .

Would that make one super colossal collector's gift set? I bet that 1000 of those wouldn't last much over a month>> if even that long.
Donut

Post by Donut »

From what I remember reading when the Captain came out, the end of the blade is good for push cutting and the hawkbill portion is good for pull cutting.

I thought it was like an outdoorsy knife that was made to work good at more than one thing.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!