Super Blue??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Able Dog

Re: Super Blue??

Post by Able Dog »

Super Blue is a very pleasant Steel to use. But I wouldn't go and pay an arm and a leg for an FRN model with it.

If a Caly 3/3.5 in Super Blue came by, and was in great condition, I'd consider paying up.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I think if you're patient enough you can still get a Super Blue sprint at not much of a premium, if any. I hunted for a long time for my Caly 3 and missed out on a few before I landed one for what I believe was actually a slight discount off street price.

I do recommend the steel though. It's a fun one. Gets super sharp easily, and stays like that for way longer than you'd think given how fast it got there. Of course that depends on what and how you cut, but it definitely has its place in my life. I like the solid blade in the Caly models because I love seeing that patina develop over time. It will rust just sitting in humid air though, so if you don't want to have to be so mindful of a knife, the laminated models are the way to go. Plus there are way more of them!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

To me, they became instant collectibles because of the fact that it's a limited run in a desirable steel - runs sell out really quickly and when you do find one on the secondary market, they're at least double the retail price
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

I've been EDC-ing a Super Blue Dragonfly for a while now. It's a great version of the Dfly but there are definite drawbacks. I live near the ocean and the tarnish and now a tiny bit of pitting are obvious. I've used Flitz but at least one pit on top of the blade spine looks like it's here to stay. That said, I don't care about looks as long as the knife continues to perform. Is SB really that much better than my VG-10 or H-1 Dragonflies? Well, I like the color of the FRN better...
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Carried one of my Cal 3's the last few days, every time I do I'm reminded just how nice it is, really looking forward to the up coming sprint.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I had two Caly 3.5's.

My preference for the model actually settled down to the Caly3

Passing on the Caly3 it turns out, was not one of my smartest moves.