Civilian Clone?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
albertazone

Civilian Clone?

Post by albertazone »

Hi, looking for opinions.
Do one of these civilians look like a clone?
If so, which one, right or left?
Attachments
IMG_0099.jpg
IMG_0097.jpg
IMG_0092.jpg
IMG_0091.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg
farnorthdan

Re: Civilian Clone?

Post by farnorthdan »

I thought civilians came in the pouch only. Did the one on the right come in that box?
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
albertazone

Post by albertazone »

It did come in that box.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I'd be suspicious of that one on the right, I see a couple things that look off, also welcome to the forum.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

farnorthdan wrote:I thought civilians came in the pouch only. Did the one on the right come in that box?
Yes, mine came in a pouch, no box. Where did you get it from?
"No matter where you go, there you are"
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

3rd picture, Seki City marking looks like its in the grind on right side pic, that would have never passed QC, also the grind is way higher than the one on the left (much closer to the hole). The tip also looks way off compared to the one on the left too.

albertazone

Post by albertazone »

farnorthdan wrote:I'd be suspicious of that one on the right, I see a couple things that look off, also welcome to the forum.
Thanks!
When I got the one on the right I was quite blown away at the differences. Box looks wrong too.
Farnorth, how far north?
albertazone

Post by albertazone »

farnorthdan wrote:3rd picture, Seki City marking looks like its in the grind on right side pic, that would have never passed QC, also the grind is way higher than the one on the left (much closer to the hole). The tip also looks way off compared to the one on the left too.
Does look pretty bad doesn't it? Play in the blade too compared to the good one. The G-10 feels bad too.
albertazone

Post by albertazone »

holeshot wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:I thought civilians came in the pouch only. Did the one on the right come in that box?
Bought it from a fellow online. He claims to have received from bladehq. Says he contacted bladehq about it and they figured it was a different production run. Does not seem to add up.
The fellow said he will buy it back from me.

I had never seen a clone before, if in fact this is a clone.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

One on the left looks like it's from about 6-8 years ago. After they started using the bug on the blade but before they started laser engraving the tang markings rather than stamping them. New one looks more recent. A lot of the work in the blades is done by hand, so variations in things like grind depth are not all that unusual. Serrations are ground on a special set of stones, which wear over time, so some variance there is also not uncommon.

OTOH, that tang stamp doe look odd. Could be something that just got past QC, could indicate a fake. Fact that it came in a box is also odd but I cant' say for sure if it's significant. I'll just add that all the Civilians I'm sure were clones had VG-10 markings and no David Boye dent in the lockbar, a combination that does not exist in real Civilians, and both of yours have the dent. Truth is, the only people who can say with 100% certainty whether your knife is real or not are the folks at Spyderco and they have to have it in their hands to do so. You can send it in for evaluation, return it to the seller, or keep it and have nagging doubts. Personally, given that the seller is willing to take it back, I'd go that route.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

albertazone wrote:
holeshot wrote:
Bought it from a fellow online. He claims to have received from bladehq. Says he contacted bladehq about it and they figured it was a different production run. Does not seem to add up.
The fellow said he will buy it back from me.

I had never seen a clone before, if in fact this is a clone.
I got a Hungarian Folder off Amazon last year that was a clone. It was a good one too. The packaging was wrong and the fit and finish was just not right, since I have Amazon Prime they took it back no questions asked. That was the last time I bought a knife on Amazon. Stick to authorized dealers.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

albertazone wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:I'd be suspicious of that one on the right, I see a couple things that look off, also welcome to the forum.
Thanks!
When I got the one on the right I was quite blown away at the differences. Box looks wrong too.
Farnorth, how far north?
Eagle River, AK :)
colder than a well diggers *** this week, -20 the last few days at my place.

albertazone

Post by albertazone »

farnorthdan wrote:
albertazone wrote:
Thanks!
Farnorth, how far north?
Eagle River, AK :)
colder than a well diggers *** this week, -20 the last few days at my place.
You have me beat. I am also a far north Dan, but in Fort McMurray, Alberta Canada.

We hit -40, -49 with the wind chill about a week ago! Warmer now thank goodness. -5
Schneir5

Post by Schneir5 »

I think the one on the right doesn't look like it's hollow ground, like the real one is. The left one looks like a hollow ground to me.
albertazone

Post by albertazone »

Spyderco confirmed for me it is a clone.
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

albertazone wrote:Spyderco confirmed for me it is a clone.
Always good to know the truth after all this.
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
albertazone

Post by albertazone »

It did not cost me too much so I am not to twisted about the bad deal. Know what to watch out for now.