Why Don't Flippers Use a Compression Lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dreadpirate

Why Don't Flippers Use a Compression Lock?

Post by dreadpirate »

This may be a very stupid question. If the Reeve Integral Lock (or liner lock) puts a lot of side pressure on the blade, why not use something like a compression lock for a flipper? I only ask this because there has been this big crap storm on social media about the Spyderco Advocate which now has been extrapolated to all Spydie flippers; but I guess that's another whole thread.

Anyways - why not a compression lock? OBTW - I have a Mantra and it works fine the way it is.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Why Don't Flippers Use a Compression Lock?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Not sure why they don't.
I'd like to see compression locks on as many different Spyderco's as possible :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Brad Southard posted a video on instagram of a compression lock flipper that he made. So it's possible! I believe there's another custom maker who made a compression lock flipper, but it used a button to depress the compression lock through the handle.

Edit: It's the Smock knives SK23
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

MattM68 wrote:Brad Southard posted a video on instagram of a compression lock flipper that he made. So it's possible! I believe there's another custom maker who made a compression lock flipper, but it used a button to depress the compression lock through the handle.

Edit: It's the Smock knives SK23
Interesting! Again - I am not suggesting Spyderco change anything, more curiosity than anything.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The biggest possible issue I can think of is, the instant you flip a flipper, where is your index finger? It's right where a compression lock tab is.

Show of hands, who's had their hand pinched by a compression lock?

Your finger would most likely get pinched every single time you flip the knife open.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:The biggest possible issue I can think of is, the instant you flip a flipper, where is your index finger? It's right where a compression lock tab is.

Your finger would most likely get pinched every single time you flip the knife open.
I have heard of this but never had it happen to me.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Evil D wrote:The biggest possible issue I can think of is, the instant you flip a flipper, where is your index finger? It's right where a compression lock tab is.

It's not a common thing for me but once in a while my Yojimbo 2 will nip me.

That said, I have seen the Southard custom, and it didn't seem to have this issue. I'm sure lock placement is key.
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:

It's not a common thing for me but once in a while my Yojimbo 2 will nip me.

That said, I have seen the Southard custom, and it didn't seem to have this issue. I'm sure lock placement is key.
*Hand raised* :o

Yep, I've been pinched by the Compression Lock on the Yojimbo 2. Strange, because I don't seem to experience this issue on other designs featuring this lock. Anyway, I agree; the lock placement/knife design likely impacts the ability to (successfully) add a flipper.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The real reason they haven't released a knife like this is because it would be so successful that it would force all other knife manufacturers to close their doors. Sal is way to nice and considerate to let that happen.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Tap tap
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
timlara

Post by timlara »

The solution? They need to do a collaboration on a front flipper like the Smock model! I would put money down on that right now.
Tim
sal

Post by sal »

Eric has a few compression lock flippers in-the-works.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

After trying a few times to do it on purpose, I finally managed to pinch my finger a tiny bit with my Yo2. Not really an issue for me but I see what you are talking about. I've got small hands, maybe I've just got less there to get pinched. ;)

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

sal wrote:Eric has a few compression lock flippers in-the-works.

sal
this is awesome news!

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

What makes you think the compression lock doesn't put just as much side pressure on the blade as a Walker liner lock or Reeve Integral lock? Look at how it operates some time.

And yes, I've been pinched by comp locks more than once. My Li'l Temp is by far the worst offender, but it is by no means the only one. Of course, I have even less love for flippers than I do for compression locks, so it won't matter to me if they do change them over.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Holy crap that just happened! Thank you Eric and Sal!

@liquid_cobra
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Not sure if there is more or less "side pressure" but what I like about it is the compression part of the compression lock helps prevent the lock from slipping. I also like the 1 stage closing, as opposed to a liner lock that you close part way, and then have to move your thumb out of the way to finish closing the knife. It's a big improvement over the walker liner lock in my humble opinion.

Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I've never been pinched by the compression lock on my PM2. I see how it could happen. Interesting to see what Eric is developing. The compression lock is my favorite lock.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:After trying a few times to do it on purpose, I finally managed to pinch my finger a tiny bit with my Yo2. Not really an issue for me but I see what you are talking about. I've got small hands, maybe I've just got less there to get pinched. ;)
It's probably more of an issue for those of us with meatier hands, especially if you have a lot of meat in the webbing of your thumb/palm area. That's where I get it anyway. It happens most when I'm gripping the handle tighter into my hand. It doesn't happen often but it's annoying when it does.
~David
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

So casual.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAlFU3DB6nT/
This video from Brad piqued my attention last year. That conspicuous hole in the tang...