Sal, hope to hear from you

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dplafoll

Re: Sal, hope to hear from you

Post by dplafoll »

Bodog wrote:
dplafoll wrote:I'd be fine keeping the bearings... as long as the terrible washers are replaced. I don't mean to sound like a dick, but if ZT and others can do bearings well, I expect as good or better from Spyderco. **** my Nirvana is pretty much perfect. I'm not taking it apart to check, but what's different in there?

Same washers and bearings it looks like but a heavier blade is moving them. If you have a light blade you need some really free spinning bearings if you're gonna use em. The bearings I referred to earlier are caged in brass or something and there's not much of the bearing touching the cage compared to the bearings caged in plastic where a large portion of the bearings are rubbing against plastic. I wonder if all the bearings actually spin.

If you wedge the lockbar open on the nirvana does the blade at least move on its own weight? It should if the bearings are spinning as freely as they should. It's a pretty beefy blade.
Yes, it does; I just checked it.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

The Caly is a great example of a knife without any washers or bearings, a testament to not even needing washers or bearings when fit and finish is that we'll done. Quite possibly the smoothest knife I've ever had. I do prefer PB over bearings any day though. Bearings are just more moving parts where there may be another added problem. I'll stick with washers, no bearings for me, but I'm also not a flipper guy. Sypderco will fix this just be patient.
Josh
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

**** it, Ive been looking forward to this one since it was announced. Ive got a birthday coming up in a few weeks and was planing on getting the advocate. Got a bit of a dilemma now....do I get the advocate or should I get the spydiechef. At least i have a week or 2 before i have to order it, hope there is some news before i do.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

The SpydieChef is pretty bad ***...just sayin' :)
Josh
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

murphjd25 wrote:The Caly is a great example of a knife without any washers or bearings, a testament to not even needing washers or bearings when fit and finish is that we'll done. Quite possibly the smoothest knife I've ever had. I do prefer PB over bearings any day though. Bearings are just more moving parts where there may be another added problem. I'll stick with washers, no bearings for me, but I'm also not a flipper guy. Sypderco will fix this just be patient.
My sentiments match the above. Why add complexity when simple bronze washers work so well? I'm curious to see how this gets resolved.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Knife center on instagram is trying to deflect the criticism on the action as well. "Quick, move as many of these as we can before word gets out they're potentially flawed", is what I imagine they're thinking. This is in no way Spyderco's fault, just kinda made me shake my head.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I currently own the Mantra 1, as of now it is really smooth; but, it wasn't always. Out of box it was okay. When flipping it seemed fine, but the action felt "bumpy" when using the Spydie Hole. After a few months of carry, the action felt very gritty, and it would not flip well at all. I disassembled the knife and cleaned out the pocket lint, re-lubed the washers. The effect was good, but it became gritty again soon. I disassembled it a second time and used Nano Oil instead; by this point, it had been opened and closed a lot, and so now it is very smooth and I feel no bumps when using the Spydie Hole. I sold off my Mantra 2 and my Southard; they both had the same gritty issues as my Mantra 1.

All of these flipper knives are great, but the bearings system in place just isn't the best unfortunately. I hope there is a simple fix for this issue that doesn't cost the company too much. Thanks OP for bringing up this topic, and thank you Mr. Glesser for always keeping an open ear towards your neurotic, detail obsessed fans.
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

murphjd25 wrote:The SpydieChef is pretty bad ***...just sayin' :)
Yep its pretty cool. Ive got a bowie and have a techno on the way so it would be a nice addition to the collection.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I agree that bearings in a knife are a solution looking for a problem. I like simple things and simple things work and they work reliably. PB washers have given me some silky smooth knives and have been 100% reliable. To me bearings add cost and complexity and that is about it. I would buy both Mantras and an Advocate if they didn't have bearings or internal stop pins. They would also both be cheaper.
This is my normal position on bearings and internal stop pins too.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I agree that bearings in a knife are a solution looking for a problem. I like simple things and simple things work and they work reliably. PB washers have given me some silky smooth knives and have been 100% reliable. To me bearings add cost and complexity and that is about it. I would buy both Mantras and an Advocate if they didn't have bearings or internal stop pins. They would also both be cheaper.
True, but if you look back on this forum to when another brand became the first to use bearings, you'll see quite a few posts that made it sound as if they were the future of high end folders and asking when Spyderco was going to add this latest and greatest, super slick, must have, feature.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Is anyone willing to measure the diameter, thickness, and the center hole diameter of the bearings and post the specifics?

I would love to buy a Mantra and then replace the bearings with thick PB washers that were the proper size so there would be ZERO play.

I would imagine that a thicker steel washer for the bearings to ride on and a smaller bearing (thickness wise) would also work. In other words, thin the bearing down and thicken the washer.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

David Lowry wrote:Is anyone willing to measure the diameter, thickness, and the center hole diameter of the bearings and post the specifics?

I would love to buy a Mantra and then replace the bearings with thick PB washers that were the proper size so there would be ZERO play.

I would imagine that a thicker steel washer for the bearings to ride on and a smaller bearing (thickness wise) would also work. In other words, thin the bearing down and thicken the washer.
I think the bearings are too small and they bind in the plastic cage. Couple that with thin washers that deform with any real pressure and you have bearings that don't spin all that freely. If they're going to stick with bearings then I'd have to say they need bigger bearings in cages that have much less friction and washers that don't deform as easily. A combo of all the parts in play.

I'm sharpening my Mantra now, give me a little bit and I'll give some specs though I think ApostleP already did in one of his videos showing him trying to correct the problem.

I think all the washers are the same, using the same pivots and widths. I could be wrong. It'd be nice if someone who owned several of the bearing knives from Taiwan could see if they're the same. I think they are.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Yeah, if Spyderco were to give us exact specs on the washers, I'd be ok buying my own from a 3rd party, even if Spyderco can't give or sell us replacements.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

David Lowry wrote:Is anyone willing to measure the diameter, thickness, and the center hole diameter of the bearings and post the specifics?

Harbor Freight caliper (disclaimer!) measurements from the first batch of Mantras, almost exactly a year ago:

Mantra Bearings with race washer
Thickness: .048"
OD: .333"
ID: .18"

The thickness measurement includes the bearing and washer. My plan was to replace them, but I never actually did. USAKnifemaker has some potential options, especially for a PB washer stack. I never found a bearing/race combo that was the right size, but it's probably out there.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

abbazaba wrote:

Harbor Freight caliper (disclaimer!) measurements from the first batch of Mantras, almost exactly a year ago:

The thickness measurement includes the bearing and washer. My plan was to replace them, but I never actually did. USAKnifemaker has some potential options, especially for a PB washer stack. I never found a bearing/race combo that was the right size, but it's probably out there.
Thanks my man. I appreciate it.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

abbazaba wrote:

I don't have time to search at the moment, but might be able to find something on McMaster-Carr or Fastenal...
Going back to Caly.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I don't trust flippers. Probably 15 years ago I got a $50 assisted open knife with a flipper tab.

I learned my lesson, but I own a ZT that has both and it has been treating me well.

I think it's good that there's a large market for novelty folders.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Do these ball bearing issues pertain to the magnitude as well?
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

Got over the flipping, finger flicking stuff and now I'm lovin' my back locks.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
timlara

Post by timlara »

The Deacon wrote: True, but if you look back on this forum to when another brand became the first to use bearings, you'll see quite a few posts that made it sound as if they were the future of high end folders and asking when Spyderco was going to add this latest and greatest, super slick, must have, feature.
I certainly wasn't one of them, but I agree 100% and still think the main reason is marketing / keeping up with the joneses, unfortunately.

Unless they are ridiculously over-engineered bearings like you see in cost-no-object custom knives, I don't really think they're worth doing over PB washers.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMvB98LAVzR/

Tim