For those on the fence about a Delica purchase...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ryguy76

For those on the fence about a Delica purchase...

Post by ryguy76 »

Just got mine today. I'll admit that it was never a model that I thought I'd end up with based on my initial impression of it upon first site.

The FRN handle didn't appeal, nor the blade shape. BUT, as my 6th Spyderco purchase, dang this thing is nice! It took a bit to come around, and it was a slow-boil process. A DF2 Hap40 purchase opened my mind to the practicality of FRN and the PM2 made me come around to the blade shape.

I have only had this knife for an hour, but I am SOLD on the Delica platform. So for those on the fence, I say "just pull the trigger!!"
My Knives: Paramilitary 2 - Chaparral - Delica FFG - Dragonfly 2 (HAP40) - Tenacious - Crow 2
Sharp Guy

Re: For those on the fence about a Delica purchase...

Post by Sharp Guy »

I didn't think I wanted one at first, but after reading how good they were I went ahead and bought one. Glad I did!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Great knife - you better belee' dat. I have a fair few of them, more than any other. Soon I'll have the Delica Wharnie too.
- best wishes, Jazz.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Yep, there's a reason why the Delica is one of the best selling :spyder:'s, and I will admit, I owned many others before buying one. I too was put off by the FRN and over all size. I took a chance when the SB's dropped a few years back and grabbed one, it wasn't love at first sight/use but after a short time of actually carrying and using it I was hooked. Congrats on your first, I'm sure it won't be your last. ;) :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I had a Caly3 and carried it quite a bit. But, I still had a Benchmade that I carried. One day, on a lark, I ordered a Delica. It was love at first hold. I carry this knife more than any other, now and no Benchmade has made it back into my pocket since.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Hard to beat a Delica
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ryguy76

Post by ryguy76 »

My only fear is that I'm used to 50/50 choils now, so I worry that I'm going to grip it choil style and end up on the losing end of that decision.

I know many are anti-choil on the Delica, but wondering how people flip between using choils on a choiled model, then flipping to a choil-free blade. Is it something you get used to not doing?
My Knives: Paramilitary 2 - Chaparral - Delica FFG - Dragonfly 2 (HAP40) - Tenacious - Crow 2
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ryguy76 wrote:My only fear is that I'm used to 50/50 choils now, so I worry that I'm going to grip it choil style and end up on the losing end of that decision.

I know many are anti-choil on the Delica, but wondering how people flip between using choils on a choiled model, then flipping to a choil-free blade. Is it something you get used to not doing?
I have no problem switching back and forth.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

I remember having the same feeling when I bought mine. You can tell a lot of thought went into the refinement of this design throughout the years. I was also pleasantly surprised by the thin blade. Very much looking forward to the Wharncliffe version!
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Delica was what got me seriously hooked on the brand and the knife that brought me to this forum. But, my tastes have evolved a bit past it. My biggest issue is with the ergonomics, I really wish they'd do away with the finger groove points along the bottom of the handle, like the Harpy for example. If that one thing were changed I would be singing its praises. It has one of my favorite blade shapes ever, just enough belly to be versatile but straight enough to perform like a wharnie. It also hits an EDC size sweet spot where it's big enough for most tasks without being massive.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

There's enough space there that it almost feels like a choil without being one. The best of both worlds. I'm not the biggest choil fan, but I really like the Delica's blade/handle design.
- best wishes, Jazz.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

What's amazing about my Delicas is the beating they take and keep on coming back for more.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
mb1

Re: Evil D

Post by mb1 »

Evil D wrote:The Delica was what got me seriously hooked on the brand and the knife that brought me to this forum. But, my tastes have evolved a bit past it. My biggest issue is with the ergonomics, I really wish they'd do away with the finger groove points along the bottom of the handle, like the Harpy for example. If that one thing were changed I would be singing its praises. It has one of my favorite blade shapes ever, just enough belly to be versatile but straight enough to perform like a wharnie. It also hits an EDC size sweet spot where it's big enough for most tasks without being massive.
My favorite handles tend to be the ones without finger grooves too. I don't like positioning being dictated by grooves. I do have the Jazzelica on order though. It will be my first.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
swigert

Post by swigert »

I always thought it would be too small for me, so I went endura first, now I'm all delica and the enduras are getting sold! Even the sprints are going to have to find new homes!
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mb1 wrote:
Evil D wrote:The Delica was what got me seriously hooked on the brand and the knife that brought me to this forum. But, my tastes have evolved a bit past it. My biggest issue is with the ergonomics, I really wish they'd do away with the finger groove points along the bottom of the handle, like the Harpy for example. If that one thing were changed I would be singing its praises. It has one of my favorite blade shapes ever, just enough belly to be versatile but straight enough to perform like a wharnie. It also hits an EDC size sweet spot where it's big enough for most tasks without being massive.
My favorite handles tend to be the ones without finger grooves too. I don't like positioning being dictated by grooves. I do have the Jazzelica on order though. It will be my first.
My long term plan is to get a G10 Delica and reshape the handle and swap the wharnie blade in.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Nate

Post by Nate »

ryguy76 wrote:My only fear is that I'm used to 50/50 choils now, so I worry that I'm going to grip it choil style and end up on the losing end of that decision.

I worry about this too. Haven't ever actually cut myself, but most of my blades are choiled and I've caught myself going for a choil that wasn't there a couple of times when using choiless blades.

Had a SB Delica for a while but ultimately sold it because I prefer the 50/50 choil and ergos on some other :spyder: favorites, i.e. Calys, Chap, Native, and it wasn't getting pocket time. The Delica has a lot of things going for it, just wasn't a top pick for me.
:spyder:
harronek

Post by harronek »

I don't buy any other knife now .

Ken
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

ryguy76 wrote:Just got mine today. I'll admit that it was never a model that I thought I'd end up with based on my initial impression of it upon first site.

The FRN handle didn't appeal, nor the blade shape. BUT, as my 6th Spyderco purchase, dang this thing is nice! It took a bit to come around, and it was a slow-boil process. A DF2 Hap40 purchase opened my mind to the practicality of FRN and the PM2 made me come around to the blade shape.

I have only had this knife for an hour, but I am SOLD on the Delica platform. So for those on the fence, I say "just pull the trigger!!"
As the saying goes, "You can't judge a book by it's cover. It's what's on the inside that counts." :)

The Spyderco Endura and Delica are the outstanding designs that sold me on Spyderco, and I always looked at the Delica as a wonderful little brother/sister to the Endura.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
tstetz

Post by tstetz »

ryguy76 wrote:Just got mine today. I'll admit that it was never a model that I thought I'd end up with based on my initial impression of it upon first site.

I was the same way until I actually had one. For whatever reason they never grabbed me until I ended up with one and started using it. Now its one of my fav models.
Tim
mattman

Re: Evil D

Post by mattman »

Evil D wrote:
mb1 wrote:
My long term plan is to get a G10 Delica and reshape the handle and swap the wharnie blade in.
David, have you seen the GrindMod scales from BOOMER52?