Massdrop Spring Delica zdp-189 G-10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Skidoosh

Massdrop Spring Delica zdp-189 G-10

Post by Skidoosh »

Just saw this pop up, looks interesting. I think I would probably go for the caly hap-10 but only 1000 pieces being made. What do you think?
Sharp Guy

Re: Massdrop Spring Delica zdp-189 G-10

Post by Sharp Guy »

Interesting! It should be a hit with the Delica fans! It would be nice to have a G10 Delica and the "Scratch" pattern looks cool and all but I'm not sure I need another busy blade. I think I'll have to pass on this one. I'll be curious to see what they sell for though.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

I'm jumping on board I wonder if the pattern is considered a factory job or is this a 3rd party doing this etch pattern?
swigert

Post by swigert »

seriously already gone on Massdrop?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

cougar337 wrote:I'm jumping on board I wonder if the pattern is considered a factory job or is this a 3rd party doing this etch pattern?
The ad says..."it’s etched with Spyderco’s proprietary new “Scratch” pattern: a never-before-seen combination of black and gray evocative of a spider’s sticky, twisting web".
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

swigert wrote:seriously already gone on Massdrop?
The drop doesn't launch until Nov. 21. They're only supposed to making 1000 of these and, at this time, 1792 user have requested the drop. So, even though the drop doesn't start until Monday, I would imagine the orders are going to fill up fast once they go live.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Even though 1,851 people have requested to be notified, Massdrop will only have initial prices on Monday. I see these selling for $150-$175 and I'm basing that on the Stretch2 ZDP-189 G-10 which sells for $210.
RamZar wrote:Massdrop will have an exclusive Delica ZDP-189 with Black G-10. The blade has Spyderco’s proprietary new “Scratch” pattern which is a "combination of black and gray evocative of a spider’s sticky, twisting web". It will launch on November 21, 2016 with an estimated ship date of May 5, 2017. It's a Limited Edition of 1,000 units.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

So you pay now and get the knife in six months?

I am not sure how well that is gonna work when people see the price. I would guess about what Ramzar guessed for prices. Maybe it will be cheaper paying upfront. Also, what if there are delays? This will be interesting to watch unfold.

I don't know what I am gonna do. Probably depends on price. I would love a G10 Delica and ZDP is great but the blade is a little busy for me and I don't love black g10. It is very unique looking though and it is nice to see them trying new things.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Why Massdrop? If I could buy a G10 Delica from KW or some place I would be happy. Shipping and buying are real issues for me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
swigert

Post by swigert »

So the requests that people put in just means those people are requesting to be notified when it drops?
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

This represents a new strategy after MAP was introduced. Massdrop doesn't have the capital to do a sprint but raises it from those who want it. That is why the long wait time. They can't discount the price so the new strategy is flash sprints and micro sprints to entice. Its working for me.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I've bought a flash light on there before..they take the payment out once it ships or very close I believe..and it's a bummer waiting so long for it..other then the long wait I'd say it was an overall good experience.
Josh
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I bought a techno off of Massdrop and a few other knives and have had no problems. I thought the communication was good and I wasn't charged until the items shipped.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I ordered a Massdrop Exclusive knife (non-Spyderco). In that case, they did collect money way in advance. Order was placed back in October and the knife is expected around the 1st of the year.
euphorbioid

Post by euphorbioid »

The Drop is open. $199 now. Could go down a little as more people sign up. Money will be collected at end of drop. Delivery mid-2017.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Over $200.00 for this Delica? Don't think so, thank you.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Tdog wrote:Over $200.00 for this Delica? Don't think so, thank you.
Second this. There are a lot of great versions of the Delica out there. This looks like one
for true Delica lovers or flippers.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

jdw wrote:
Tdog wrote:Over $200.00 for this Delica? Don't think so, thank you.
Second this. There are a lot of great versions of the Delica out there. This looks like one
for true Delica lovers or flippers.
Third. $200 for a Delica is crazy, even if it's made of Adamantium.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Yikes.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

What on earth is Japanese G10 made out of? Sadly this knife along with almost every other Japanese G10 Spydie is just not a good value in my eyes. I have to pass at $200. Bummer... The regular ZDP Delica is under a hundred bucks.

I bought a bunch of stuff from Massdrop but that was long time ago. They are just never deals anymore. They have the Becker BK16 on there for more than Amazon has it listed. I am surprised that they are even selling knives if they can't cut the prices lower.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?