Forged in Fire TV show

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
chuck_roxas45

Forged in Fire TV show

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Anybody watch that show? I am impressed by what some of those guys can do with scrap. More so the take home work.
Water Bug

Re: Forged in Fire TV show

Post by Water Bug »

I love this show! It's great watching these bladesmiths make something from nothing within a short period of time. It's fascinating how these knifemakers can take the steel and materials provided to produce functional tools. It's then a joy watching the judges (especially Doug Marcaida) take the knives produced by the contestants and put them to the test.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I saw some of the footage. I like it. They do a good job with what they are given. I would like to see them make a folder.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'm sure a lot of people here would say that the tests don't reflect real life but I enjoy seeing them just the same...
SpyderEdgeForever

One of the really interesting ones, though all of the blades they make have character to them, was when they had to make an ancient Egyptian style sword and they tested the edges and strength on various materials, like the bamboo and those fake flesh things that mimic human flesh and bone.

Chuck and others, you know what is cool: Those industrial water jets and how the pressurized stream of water can cut even through hard steel. A machinist who has used those told me he can make most any kind of knife blade shape one wants with it, once he has the steel plates or sheets, the water can cut right through, as long as you have the basic pattern. Very neat stuff.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have seen those water knives. Very impressive.

I have watched a couple of episodes of Forged in Fire. Very entertaining. I always wonder how much of the drama is put on though.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Doc Dan wrote:I have seen those water knives. Very impressive.

I have watched a couple of episodes of Forged in Fire. Very entertaining. I always wonder how much of the drama is put on though.

Well, being an "un"-reality show, I'm sure at least 90% of the drama is put on. I just hope that the skill we're looking at, is real. Most of the knives they come up with in the elimination rounds are quite impressive for the amount of time and the limited materials they have. Not to mention unfamiliar tools.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, some of the knives come out pretty good for their not having much time. Normally, a custom maker takes a long time to forge and create a knife of quality.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

When someone makes a custom knife, I have seen some hand made and custom made knives that are highly polished, in some ways more than a lot of factory knives. Is that because they can take the time to hand rub and polish the steel that most factory knives don't?
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'm sure a lot of people here would say that the tests don't reflect real life but I enjoy seeing them just the same...
I too enjoy the show. I agree on the testing is OK but it fits more into making a television show. good visuals than actual knife testing. After testing I do like the smiling response, "This blade will kill."

You can tell some of those guys used to taking a lot of time getting things just right and others are a lot more efficient turning out very finished blades in the initial stages. Thank goodness they haven't injected too much fake drama, the bane of most reality shows.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
remnar

Post by remnar »

I enjoy the show but I would like to see them do some smaller blades instead of the big choppers that we always see.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Pinetreebbs wrote:
I too enjoy the show. I agree on the testing is OK but it fits more into making a television show. good visuals than actual knife testing. After testing I do like the smiling response, "This blade will kill."
Haha right, that IS hilarious to me too.
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

Yup, I watch it & love it.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The history channel loves selling violence. I watch the show and I like the show but I would like it a lot more if it was more about practical knives and less about weapons. I would like to see them make a drop point hunter, a fillet knife, a chefs knife or some woods knives like a basic Kephart pattern. I am just more interested in knives as tools than I am in knives as weapons. They test them as weapons and not as tools. I would love to see them carve feather sticks or slice sashimi to test sharpness instead of slashing sacks of sand or rice open.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:The history channel loves selling violence. I watch the show and I like the show but I would like it a lot more if it was more about practical knives and less about weapons. I would like to see them make a drop point hunter, a fillet knife, a chefs knife or some woods knives like a basic Kephart pattern. I am just more interested in knives as tools than I am in knives as weapons. They test them as weapons and not as tools. I would love to see them carve feather sticks or slice sashimi to test sharpness instead of slashing sacks of sand or rice open.
I totally agree. In fact, that approach was what stopped me from watching the show when it first started. I did come to appreciate the skill of the participants after a I couldn't stop myself from peeking a few times.

I do admit that I find the focus on historical weapons interesting and it would be awesome to have a few of the winning swords on my wall.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I would love to see them carve feather sticks or slice sashimi to test sharpness instead of slashing sacks of sand or rice open.
You could say Doug Marcaida comes pretty close to slicing sashimi when he takes the knives, swings the blades to slice whole fish in half, turns towards the contestant, smiles, and says, "This will cut!" :)
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Back on again. Next Tuesday should be a good episode. There making some friction folders. Should be quite interesting, I don't recall them making a folder on this series yet?
Josh
TheProfessional

Post by TheProfessional »

Just started whatching that show last night! Its great, i with i could make my own knives.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

murphjd25 wrote:Back on again. Next Tuesday should be a good episode. There making some friction folders. Should be quite interesting, I don't recall them making a folder on this series yet?
Watched it last night! Glad it's back on again! :)

And, as far as I can recall, I don't believe they've had the contestants make folding knives on the show, so this should be fun.
Spyderco WTC #1044

NEVER FORGET!!!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Yes, I hope to see some folding knives too.