Strider knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SG89

Strider knives

Post by SG89 »

Who has one? Do you like it? Should I get one?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
OldHoosier62

Re: Strider knives

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Check over a BF.....there are legitimate questions that have never been answered by the owners of the company. I myself won't own one.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I do own three different models of Strider folders in different scale colors and, in some cases, blade finish patterns... the SMF, AR, and RC...

Personally, I bought these because I wanted a Strider folder... call it curiousity or the sake of just owning one...

- My first was the SMF... I love the design, robust built, and find it to be the most practical of the three models. It's close to a Hinderer XM-18 or XM-24 in built and design (i.e., G-10 on one side of the handle, plain titanium on the other... very heavy-duty and built like a tank.

- The AR is even more built like a tank and thicker, rounder at the handles.

- The RC has a rather unique curve in the blade with the sides of the handle a combination of G-10 and plain titanium.

The blades on these knives are rather thick, so some ELUs may not find them to necessarily be as smooth a slicer as a thinner blade, but these knives are certainly durable in design and have a good heft to them.

So, yes, personally I do like these particular Strider models. The AR and RC might not be available any more, though. Whether you get one is your decision... How do you feel about thick, heavy, robust folders that are built like tanks?
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Waterbug- I hated the Techno at first and sold it. Bought another one a few months later and fell in love. The Strider SMF just looks great to me. Just wary of the cost a bit.
OldHoosier62-Thanks for the tip ill have to check that out
Spydergirl88
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I realized that for the money and intended use, it made more sense for me to get a ZT. I ended up with a ZT0303 which was designed in part by Strider anyway so it fit the bill nicely. I don't mind the assisted opening either. The down side is that it slices/carves/etc exactly how you'd expect a sharpened pry bar to...not so great. Because of that I almost never carry it, which tells me all I need to know about owning a Strider. I'm FAR happier carrying and using a Military.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Waterbug- I hated the Techno at first and sold it. Bought another one a few months later and fell in love. The Strider SMF just looks great to me. Just wary of the cost a bit.
Yeah, they're a bit pricey for sure, and I've checked a few reputable knife sites that carry the Strider SMF and found they're prices are comparable to one another. For some ELUs, the Strider folder design is not considered practical... for other ELUs, the Strider folder design is very practical for their use.

It would be best if you could handle an SMF to get a feel for whether you really like it enough to purchase it. For me, I just wanted a Strider folder and also found the SMF to look great, so I purchased it and have been pleased with it.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

If you're into agricultural/tractor built knifes, knock yourself out!
I can't see the attraction with ridicuously overbuilt clunky knives
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

OldHoosier62 wrote:Check over a BF.....there are legitimate questions that have never been answered by the owners of the company. I myself won't own one.
All very old news. Haters gonna' hate. :rolleyes:

If you do your Internet due diligence, you'll find that people either love or hate Strider knives. Personally, I consider the Strider SMF and SnG two of the best designed folders on the market. Of the two, I prefer the SnG, because the SMF is too big for my purposes; I also find the Military too big (although I do own one). Yes, the blade is on the thick side (.165"), but after re-profiling to 30 degrees with a 40 degree back bevel, it slices just fine -- maybe not as well as my FFG Endura, but about the same as my saber ground Endura4.

Where the SnG really stands out is in the area of "confidence." Not because it can take abuse -- I own fixed blades that are designed specifically for that purpose -- but because it's the one folder I own that feels absolutely solid in my hand, even when it's wet and cold out and my hands are hurting. Keep in mind, my primary EDC is a Tom Mayo custom (a man who knows a thing or two about making knives) and I own about 40 Spydies, so this is not a statement made lightly.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's just difficult for me to get pumped up about thick blades these days, from any brand. Throw into the tactical look and it's even more difficult to buy one.

My idea of a "hard use" knife is the Spyderco GB and that one is a pretty great slicer for being a pocket anchor.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I won't buy one. In the interest of shiny footprints I won't got into the first reason. The second reason is that they are sharpened prybars. The first reason is enough for me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Thanks for the replies I guess this knife is not for me afterall.
Spydergirl88
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

The PT CC is one of my very favorite knives and, if you can find one, worth having a good look at.

Whilst I agree the SnG and SMF are probably sharpened pry bars, the SJ75 is definitely not. They got the lock right and it's a beautiful hollow ground slicer.
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I am a big fan of Strider knives. In fact, my SnG is one of my favorite knives. I also have a Dog Paws PT CC that I LOVE

They are tougher than most people need them to be, and THAT is a good thing.

Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Thanks for the replies I guess this knife is not for me afterall.
You're welcome!

And... is a Strider for you...? It really all depends on what you're looking for and are interested in. I stopped totally basing my decisions on what others had to say a long time ago... yes, what others have to say is valuable information, and I listened to and reviewed what others had to say... I then did my own research, handle the product if possible, and made my own decision... and doing so has introduced me to the beauty of Spyderco, Chris Reeve, Emerson, Strider, Hinderer, and Al Mar, to name a few.

Also, if you ever do decide to invest in a Strider SMF, highly recommend you do so through a reputable knife store... yes, it'll probably be on the expensive side, but you'll be getting what you paid for.
Spyderco WTC #1044

NEVER FORGET!!!
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Thanks for the replies I guess this knife is not for me afterall.
That is a shame, as you are missing out on GREAT knives. But, THAT is what you get when you rely on other people's opinion, and NOT your own.

I don't give a hoot what any one likes or doesn't like. I buy what I like.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TheKnifeCollector wrote:
That is a shame, as you are missing out on GREAT knives. But, THAT is what you get when you rely on other people's opinion, and NOT your own.

I had not intially realized that Strider knife blades were on the thicker side, I prefer thinner knife blades. So really a FACT swayed my decision making process. :)
Spydergirl88
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Spydergirl88 wrote:.......... I prefer thinner knife blades. So really a FACT swayed my decision making process. :)
You are ignoring the SJ75 Baby Huey ;) With 3.2mm thick stock and the filework on the spine it is very different to the "normal" Strider. Have a look at it before you finally decide Striders aren't for you.

Not a great pic but I'm travelling and its the only photo of an SJ75 in my photobucket. I prefer my satin blade SJ75 but that tiger stripe is just sooooo Strider :D

FWIW, I seem to recall that on the now defunct SA Blade forum Sal was complimentary about Striders' fit and finish - high praise indeed.
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TheKnifeCollector wrote:

I can't speak for the OP, but I would say it's more like listening to opinions and comparing them to your own to get an idea. If I don't like thick blades and someone's biggest complaint is that it has a thick blade, I don't have to own or even handle the knife in person to know it will be an issue for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Re: Evil D

Post by SG89 »

Evil D wrote:
TheKnifeCollector wrote:

I can't speak for the OP, but I would say it's more like listening to opinions and comparing them to your own to get an idea. If I don't like thick blades and someone's biggest complaint is that it has a thick blade, I don't have to own or even handle the knife in person to know it will be an issue for me.
My thoughts exactly Evil D :)
Spydergirl88