Caly3 in M390 or S110V anybody?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Caly3 in M390 or S110V anybody?

Post by Doc Dan »

I was playing with my Caly3 today, and thinking how much I really like this knife. I would love to see them move this knife to Golden and produce it with M390 or S110V. If S110V is used, I would like to keep the carbon fiber but make it the same color as the other S110V offerings.

(as a side note, if they would move the finger guard forward just a tad on the handle of the Caly3 then a lot of people would be able to get their full 4 fingers on the handle and have a choice as to whether or not to use the choil or the handle for gripping.)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DougC-3

Re: Caly3 in M390 or S110V anybody?

Post by DougC-3 »

It's a great knife. I wish it could be brought back too, whether at Golden or Japan. You know, I would have probably never noticed it if you hadn't brought it up, but the choil on the Caly3.5 actually is moved forward a hair, allowing my pinky not to slide off the back end. It appears to me that the back end of the choil is moved forward but the front end is in about the same place as on the Caly3. Some people will fight to keep every millimeter of blade length ;) I get a 3 1/2 finger grip on the Caly3, but it's fairly comfortable for me. I think I usually use the choil grip.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I'd take a blurple G10 S110v Caly 3.5 or 3....Happily.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Fanch_Man

Post by Fanch_Man »

Doc Dan wrote:I was playing with my Caly3 today, and thinking how much I really like this knife. I would love to see them move this knife to Golden and produce it with M390 or S110V. If S110V is used, I would like to keep the carbon fiber but make it the same color as the other S110V offerings.

(as a side note, if they would move the finger guard forward just a tad on the handle of the Caly3 then a lot of people would be able to get their full 4 fingers on the handle and have a choice as to whether or not to use the choil or the handle for gripping.)
I agree wholeheartedly with every single part of this idea! A US produced Caly 3 with M390?? Yes please! And I completely agree with the grip modification - that was always the one niggle I had with my Caly 3 ZDP. A four-finger grip without requiring the choil (but yet still having the choked up grip available) would be excellent, and is one of several things that make knives like the 3" XM-18 so great in hand for me: small yet very versatile grip-wise. Back to the Caly 3, it would basically be my dream Spydie if all three of those changes converged.

While we're in dreamland, give it some contoured carbon fiber (or polished G-10 or micarta) scales like the Positron and it'd be beyond perfection for me.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Sure, I could go for another Caly 3.

What I would like would be a FFG SE Caly 3.5. The Caly 3 SE is a treat to use.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Doc Dan wrote:I would love to see them move this knife to Golden
I'm fairly sure this has been brought up before and I think Sal said that basically the Japan factory and Japanese in general would take it as a insult if that were to happen.

Sal and company wants to remain on good terms with the Japanese.

We get some pretty awesome Japanese steels to try out that we probably wouldn't be able to otherwise.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:I would love to see them move this knife to Golden
I'm fairly sure this has been brought up before and I think Sal said that basically the Japan factory and Japanese in general would take it as a insult if that were to happen.

Sal and company wants to remain on good terms with the Japanese.

We get some pretty awesome Japanese steels to try out that we probably wouldn't be able to otherwise.
OK then, I'll settle for burnt orange HAP40 Caly's from Japan, 3 & 3.5, solid or laminated, in G-10 (or FRN!!) or any other material that can be made burnt orange to go with the series :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
araneae

Post by araneae »

Are the issues with the maker cleared up?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

After I bought Caly3 ZDP189 again couple month ago it came back to carry duty. I love the knife, still feel that 3.5 is little more useful. Will buy any of these two in any decent SS. AEB-L will make it a dream.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

bh49 wrote:After I bought Caly3 ZDP189 again couple month ago it came back to carry duty. I love the knife, still feel that 3.5 is little more useful. Will buy any of these two in any decent SS. AEB-L will make it a dream.
I've got the 3 in Super Blue and the 3.5 in ZDP189, and I'd like some day to get the reverse of that. I agree that the 3.5 is probably more useful, and may be the best of all discrete carry knifes, especially in sort-of-dressy situations. (Lightweight Manix2 maybe for non-dressy) But I really like the blade proportions of the 3 and sort of like it better, even though the behind the choil grip isn't as good.

I haven't heard anything new about the situation with the maker. Spyderco has so many irons (steels maybe? :) ) in the fire, it's not possible to tie up all loose ends.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I would definitely be down for a M390/CTS-204P Caly 3.5.

I like my ZDP-189 3.5 as is; throw some G10 scales on there with a steel that's more stainless and a bit more forgiving while sharpening and I'm sold.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Who knows, maybe the new catalog will have a nice surprise for us inside? Sal is crafty like that.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I used to carry around a Leek because it was so slim and useful as a pocket knife for a suit. But the need for that safety, and it always becoming disengaged made me start looking elsewhere. I found the Caly3 and the handle was exactly the same size in every dimension. The closed blade was not significantly wider. The overall quality was better. I was sold. I have not carried a Leek since.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I'll take a new Caly in just about any new flavor they can come up with.
One of my most enjoyed knives.
I too like the Caly 3 a bit better.

If they could incorporate a similar lock design to the Native 5, but keep everything else the same, that would make me quite happy.
Even in black G10 and VG-10.

...or, if they were to ever do an FRN version in burgundy or grey fishscale like the Jr.!!

I'll really be keeping my eyes peeled for an upcoming Sprint or Exclusive! :D
Going back to Caly.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

HAP40 Caly 3 please.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

senorsquare wrote:HAP40 Caly 3 please.
^-- this guy gets it :D
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

We need a Caly 4. It needs to have the UKPK's deeper choil. To answer your question, I'd like a Caly 3 S110V.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Doc Dan wrote:Sal is crafty like that.
He is even craftier than you think. IIRC original Caly3.5 showed up unannounced. It hit dealers shelved before published in catalog. I was all heart broken after Caly was discontinued and than out of nowhere few month later Caly3.5 came out.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The bad thing for me is that when this happens I have usually spent my knife budget on a different Spyderco and cannot buy the new release at the time.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

I'm in for any new Caly 3; doubly so if it has a non-laminated carbon steel blade. M390? I don't have a Spydie with that steel yet. Yes, please! :)
(Sent from iPod)