Suggestion for First knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Paulg

Suggestion for First knife

Post by Paulg »

Hey guys,

Been meaning to pick up a good knife and was just wondering what people here would suggest as a good, general purpose first knife? What do you think of combination edge vs plain edge vs fully serrated like Spyderedge? I want something quality and I don't mind paying for it but wouldn't mind keeping it below say $300.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!
ArmaliteKnight

Re: Suggestion for First knife

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

You say general purpose knife, leads me to think maybe a half serrated/half plain edge should be in order...unless of course you can provide more details on what you'd use it for...
Are we talking cutting cardboard and tape or are we talking carpet....plant roots?
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
Delica 4 FRN w/Emerson wave
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
Matriarch2 FRN w/Emerson wave
GOD BLESS JOHN NOVESKE R.I.P
remnar

Post by remnar »

Hello Paulg, Welcome to the forum.

Spyderco has a lot to choose from in that price range. Do you have any preferences for steel, handle material, size, lock type, or anything else?

I like my EDCs with a plain edge because I think it's just more useful for my cutting tasks.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Paulg,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Paulg

Post by Paulg »

I could come up with a dozen things I would use it for and probably use it for a dozen other things I never thought of.

Basically, spent the day saturday setting my daughters birthday party and ended up borrowing my father-inlaws knife half a dozen times for cutting rope, tape, boxes, table cloths, etc. and figured it was time to get myself one and stop borrowing his.
Paulg

Post by Paulg »

remnar wrote:Hello Paulg, Welcome to the forum.

Spyderco has a lot to choose from in that price range. Do you have any preferences for steel, handle material, size, lock type, or anything else?

I like my EDCs with a plain edge because I think it's just more useful for my cutting tasks.
I really have no idea or preference on steel. I have invested in very nice kitchen cutlery but don't really know about what the difference between types of steel are. Handle material...something lightweight and durable, I don't care as much about look as I do about function. Size, something pocketable. Lock type...no idea.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Welcome to the Forum,

It sounds like you need Titanium Fluted Native5. Piece of beauty and great user.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
animportant

Post by animportant »

What about a sage 5 and cruwear pm2 combo? Or maybe one folder and one fixed blade. Maybe gayle bradley junction.
Last edited by animportant on Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulg

Post by Paulg »

bh49 wrote:Welcome to the Forum,

It sounds like you need Titanium Fluted Native5. Piece of beauty and great user.

Oh...Make no mistake....the nerd in me wants something that cool. But that may be just a bit out of my league for now.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Hi Paulg, Welcome to our forum.

$300 opens things up very nicely, I would go to one of the online vendors and start looking, I'm sure something will jump out at you, tons of great choices, you will get a thousand different answers here because everyone has their favorites, hard to go wrong with what every you choose because chances are you'll end up buying more. :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ArmaliteKnight

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

Let's just say for your price point you're going to run into A LOT of really great spyderco options.
What did your father in law let you borrow? How big was it? Was it comfortable and did you like it?
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

There are so many models to choose from and there's so much personal preference involved that I think it would be difficult to suggest one for you.

I wasn't sure what I'd like and I didn't want to spend a whole lot to begin with, so I started with a Dragonfly & a Persistence. A Delica or Native 5 would be a great place start too. If you want something a little dressier, maybe consider a Chaparral or something from the Sage series.

I'd recommend downloading or ordering a catalog and browse through it to see what catches your eye. I can almost guarantee buying your first one will open Pandora's box and you'll end up with more than one Spyderco.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/request.php

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/

EDIT: Note that the pricing on Spyderco's website is MSRP. There are many online dealers that sell at a discount.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ArmaliteKnight

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

I would put aside a few of those allocated bucks and no matter which knife you get, get a Sharpmaker too. You won't regret it...
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Paulg wrote: Oh...Make no mistake....the nerd in me wants something that cool. But that may be just a bit out of my league for now.
it is under $300. About $250. Made in Golden, CO. Super ergos. Nice steel
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Holland

Post by Holland »

I would grab a sharpmaker and a delica
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Paulg wrote:
bh49 wrote:Welcome to the Forum,

Oh...Make no mistake....the nerd in me wants something that cool. But that may be just a bit out of my league for now.
Keep in mind...that's the cream of crop for the Native 5 line. There are several different versions of the Native 5. If you like the knife in general take a look at the standard Native 5 LW or the Native 5 G10. Both are very nice knives and more reasonably priced.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=902

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=663
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ryguy76

Post by ryguy76 »

Welcome to the forum.

Being a new(ish) knife collector and daily carrier, I figured I'd add my $0.02.

Once you start carrying a knife, you're going to realize how useful it is and wonder how you went so long without one. Having said that, depending on your work, you may need an EDC that fits that bill too and isn't ridiculously out of place if you work in an office environment, as I do.

While I generally carry my PM2 on weekends, my most carried knife is the Chaparral. I love it. It would be the one I had the hardest time giving up, being that I have it on me the majority of the time.

If you're looking for something discreet, yet capable at most daily cutting tasks, have a good look at the Chappie.
My Knives: Paramilitary 2 - Chaparral - Delica FFG - Dragonfly 2 (HAP40) - Tenacious - Crow 2
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

I would recommend starting off with a tenacious black-on-black combo. It's affordable and very cool.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Sage 1, 2, or 5.
They have different locks. Any would do for your needs. They are a good value and look great.

Otherwise, a delica and sharpmaker is a good suggestion.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Holland wrote:I would grab a sharpmaker and a delica
I second this one. Maybe even go ZDP on the steel.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr