Washer material

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mb1

Washer material

Post by mb1 »

This may be a dumb question, but where do I find the type of washers used by model? Is it as simple as everything out of Golden now uses phosphor-bronze or something along those lines? They aren't listed in the catalog specs.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Able Dog

Re: Washer material

Post by Able Dog »

Depends on the model. Though every model produced in Golden does use phosphor bronze washers, to my knowledge.

Some older Japanese models used Teflon washers, while most others use phosphor bronze.

So far only higher end models out of Taiwan use bearings. But some Taiwan models also use washers.

I think the LionSpy uses Teflon washers too. It usually isn't mentioned in the product description unless the knife has something special like bearings. But the type of pivot used is almost always mentioned in Internet reviews.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
mb1

Post by mb1 »

The reason I was even looking was in trying to determine the effectiveness of Balistol as a pivot lube. In searching that, I read some old discussions expressing bad results with bronze interaction. So if anyone wants to chime in on that please do.
- Mark

Cor

Post by Cor »

Hi Mark,

Are you referring to Balistol as in the bore cleaner? If so, I would imagine its not the best option. Because it was designed as a bore cleaner, although not very aggressive, it does have some copper removing agents.. (removing copper fouling from the bore) So I would imagine this may react to brass as well. Just a thought but I may be wrong..

Cheers,
Cor
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Cor wrote:Hi Mark,

Are you referring to Balistol as in the bore cleaner? If so, I would imagine its not the best option. Because it was designed as a bore cleaner, although not very aggressive, it does have some copper removing agents.. (removing copper fouling from the bore) So I would imagine this may react to brass as well. Just a thought but I may be wrong..

Cheers,
Cor
Yep

- Mark

mb1

Post by mb1 »

I see I misspelled it too. Hickock45 on YouTube turned me on to it. He uses it inside and out on guns, not just for bore cleaning. The copper/brass eating properties would be negative. I noticed they don't list any warnings about that on the label.

Anyway, made me start to question what was in all my pivot hardware. I've only ever dabbed this anywhere near a pivot externally once after washing my PM2 with some soapy water. Probably shouldn't put it near the pivot. Cleans and protects blades nicely tho.
- Mark

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would imagine that bore cleaner would not react well with copper or any copper alloys like brass or bronze. I also wouldn't want any solvents in contact with my Teflon washers. Also, the knives with bearings use a polymer bearing cage which I would also keep away from solvents just in case.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I would imagine that bore cleaner would not react well with copper or any copper alloys like brass or bronze. I also wouldn't want any solvents in contact with my Teflon washers. Also, the knives with bearings use a polymer bearing cage which I would also keep away from solvents just in case.
I think your advice to avoid solvents in general for lubricant applications is sound. However, I did want to point out that teflon is incredibly resistant to solvents, and should not react with any commonly available product.
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

I've heard of many people using Ballistol on knives and also that it is food safe. Still not sure about washers, polymers, etc. Seems crazy to me... and also worth investigating. I keep meaning to pick some up one of these days and test it out.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bengaiser wrote:I've heard of many people using Ballistol on knives and also that it is food safe. Still not sure about washers, polymers, etc. Seems crazy to me... and also worth investigating. I keep meaning to pick some up one of these days and test it out.
If the label of the can in the photo above is any indicator, it's "skin safe" but "harmful or fatal if swallowed". Call me overly risk averse but I wouldn't use it on anything that was going to come in contact with food.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
mb1

Post by mb1 »

The Deacon wrote:
bengaiser wrote:I've heard of many people using Ballistol on knives and also that it is food safe. Still not sure about washers, polymers, etc. Seems crazy to me... and also worth investigating. I keep meaning to pick some up one of these days and test it out.
If the label of the can in the photo above is any indicator, it's "skin safe" but "harmful or fatal if swallowed". Call me overly risk averse but I wouldn't use it on anything that was going to come in contact with food.
I noticed the same apparent discrepancy. So looking at the MSDS, I see these items (animal rights people close your eyes :eek: ):

Contents
Ballistol contains medicinal grade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and an oil from vegetal seeds. The mineral oil is unchlorinated and conforms to the specifications of US Pharmacopeia XX.

Compatibility of Ballistol with Other Materials
Ballistol is fully compatible with all metals including aluminum. However, Ballistol dissolves traces of copper, zinc, lead and tombac and can, therefore, be used to clean brass, bronze and silver.
BallistoL is compatible with all types of unfinished woods. Ballistol is compatible with paints and varnishes which are chemically resistant to petroleum. Caution is recommended when using Ballistol on antique furniture or antique musical instruments. Paints and varnishes from past centuries may not be resistant to Ballistol.
Ballistol can be used on all smooth leathers. Its use on suede is not recommended, since it will spoil its looks. Ballistol can be emulsified with water and mixed with gasoline, diesel fuel or antifreeze. Ballistol will chemically interact with and partially or fully neutralize substances of an acidic nature such as, but not limited to, human sweat, battery fluid, residues from tannic acid in leather.

Ballistol as a Corrosion Inhibitor
Most corrosion inhibiting lubricants can only protect against normal oxidation. They do so by covering up the surface, which they are supposed to protect, and prevent contact with water and air. Due to its alkalinity Ballistol can also protect against galvanic corrosion, acidic corrosion and salt water corrosion. Ballistol contains oxygen binders. They make the oxygen, contained in water or air, unavailable for oxidation. Due to its low surface tension, Ballistol is capable of creeping into the smallest openings even against gravity. Accordingly, Ballistol provides not only passive but also active protection against corrosion. However, Ballistol is not a permanent coating or paint. Its protective effect will be the stronger the more often it is re-applied.

Non-Toxicity
In experiments with rats and rabbits the animals' entire intestinal tracti and stomachs were filled with Ballistol. The animals showed signs of uneasiness. After the Ballistol had been evacuated from their bodies as provided for by nature, the animals without exception appeared to be in excellent condition and showed no adverse prolonged side effects. It was not possible to establish an LD 50.
Ballistol does not contain ingredients considered hazardous by OSHA. It does not contain any ingredients, which normally may be considered harmful or fatal if swallowed, BUT DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING, ASPIRATION CAN OCCUR. CONSULT A PHYSICIAN IMMEDIATELY. It does not contain any ingredients which may be toxic for warm-blooded organisms, reptiles or aquatic organisms, if used as directed. However, Ballistol may kill small insects such as aphids, mites, chiggers, ants, termites, spiders or wasps etc. by mechanically clogging up their respiratory systems, as most oils will.

Ballistol does not contain any ingredients known to cause cancer such as 1,1,1 Trichloroethane, 1.1,2,2 Tetrachloroethylene, tar, Teflon (Polytetrafluorethylene) or Silicone. Ballistol does not contain chlorine or chlorinated substances. Ballistol aerosols do not contain CFCs. The Isohexane contained in Ballistol aerosols as a thinner containes less than 3% n-Hexane, which make it non-toxic. Ballistol meets the criteria of the Federal Trade Commission for the claim of biodegradability. It has been found to biodegrade and/or photodegrade within a period of approximately 24 months in aerobic decomposition as defined by OECD approved closed bottle tests.
- Mark

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

You can call me paranoid, but I still wouldn't use it around food. OTOH, that does seem to address any questions regarding its compatibility with PB washers.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Gilly11277

Post by Gilly11277 »

Hi All! This is my first post.

I can confirm that Ballistol works GREAT as a lubricant on these knives but WILL start do eat away at the washers. I took my knives apart after a year of storage and the washers had traces of blue on them. As a firearms owner I can vouch for Ballisol dissolving copper, its just not as aggressive as Sweets 762 or KG-1/KG-12. For whatever reason I decided to use it, must have had guns on the mind! I switched to Benchmade BlueLube and I don't notice a difference even though the washers's bronze/copper content was starting to "dissolve".
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Ballistol used to be sold as a water souluble/miscable oil, used for lubrication and protection of steels used in tools, firearms and knives.
It also had an additional use, and instructions on the lable told you how to use it as a throat gargle for a sore throat, and for local application for cuts and grazes!!!!!!!!

BUT, some clever US government agency decided that a medicine could not be sold outside of a pharmacy or doctor's surgery, especially one that could be taken internally.

But, here is a PDF from the makers of Ballistol...
http://www.ballistol.de/files/ballistol ... glisch.pdf