Manix 2 C101PGY2 W/ Maxamet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hank_612

Re: Manix 2 C101PGY2 W/ Maxamet

Post by hank_612 »

bdblue wrote:
hank_612 wrote:I am wondering why Bento Box shop says they haven't received any yet.
The online retailer that I typically buy from has not received any yet either.
Thank you.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Drat. I'm going to have to wait awhile on this one. I'm interested in the treatment on the blade. Some more pics would be nice. I wonder if they treated it some way to give it some resistance to further oxidation, or to make it oxidize more evenly?
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Mines waiting in my mailbox right now, I'll try to get a couple pics up tonight, also interested in blade treatment on this one.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Very nice Dan, I just got mine today. It looks to be a tumbled finish.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

It was getting dark but I got a couple pics in real quick. :)

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Thanks for the pics Darby, even more excited to get home now, I think I be coming down with something, feeling kinda sick...cough, cough ;)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Blade is showing patina right out of the box, love the tumbled/blasted finish, sharpest M2 LW yet out of the box.

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Anyone done any sharpening yet?
osprey

Post by osprey »

It appears that National Knives has these in stock if anyone is looking.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Surfingringo wrote:Anyone done any sharpening yet?
I have only ran mine on the corners of my fine sharpmaker rods to make sure it will still bite.

Probably 100% because I'm a (do)nut. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Oh wow, thanks for the pics guys -- I may have to change my holding off awhile plans :o
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
bearfacedkiller

I reprofiled and sharpened the Mule a few times. It was no problem for me on the sharpmaker and wasn't too time consuming. It didn't seem any harder to sharpen than S110V.
-Darby
elena86

Post by elena86 »

farnorthdan wrote:Blade is showing patina right out of the box, love the tumbled/blasted finish, sharpest M2 LW yet out of the box.

Showing patina allready ? Bummer.Other than that, it's a nice blade.Enjoy :cool:
Blades

Post by Blades »

Maxamet is sounding like a stell I need. :)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yeah, lots on both the Mule and the M2. Maxamet is actually quite easy to sharpen. Of course, I'm using DMT Diamond hones, which aren't impressed by the carbide content.
Steel_Drake

Post by Steel_Drake »

I've sharpened my Mule Team in Maxamet a bunch of times already on a variety of different abrasives and haven't found it particularly much more work to sharpen than my knives in CPM-M4.

One interesting apparent property (this is based only on my subjective perceptions) is that the extremely high hardness of the MT in Maxamet means that the apex takes a very high push cutting sharpness off of comparatively low grit stones. I was easily getting it to do crossgrain pushcuts on newsprint off a DMT EF, King 1000 and SPS-II 1000, which is not what I would describe as expected behaviour, especially off a 1k waterstone!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Steel_Drake wrote:
I've sharpened my Mule Team in Maxamet a bunch of times already on a variety of different abrasives and haven't found it particularly much more work to sharpen than my knives in CPM-M4.

One interesting apparent property (this is based only on my subjective perceptions) is that the extremely high hardness of the MT in Maxamet means that the apex takes a very high push cutting sharpness off of comparatively low grit stones. I was easily getting it to do crossgrain pushcuts on newsprint off a DMT EF, King 1000 and SPS-II 1000, which is not what I would describe as expected behaviour, especially off a 1k waterstone!
Thanks for the report Steel_Drake, that's good information. I like steels that are easy finish with a very sharp and very aggressive edge on lower grit stones. All steels are not equal in this regard. Some are harder to get to that level of sharpness on the same stone, some will get there but are less aggressive at the apex. I'm curious to get my hands on some Maxamet and see how it responds.
bearfacedkiller

-Darby
bearfacedkiller

-Darby
jnc91

Post by jnc91 »

Just got mine in from Knife Center. Wow!!! What a blade!!! Sharpens easily to a scary level with a ceramic stone and hard enough to scratch glass...