If you had $400, what would you buy?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: If you had $400, what would you buy?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Super Blue Stretch, HAP40 Delica, g10 DFly. probably went over budget there. Actually now that i think about it maybe a Manix sprint from BBB.
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Sharp Guy wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:You gotta watch the exchange on BF. For some inexplicable reason the GB1s either sell for cheap or move slow on there. I have seen quite a few go for around $110 - $120 on both ebay and the exchange.
+1 I got my lightly used (like new) GB1 off the Exchange for $120. My like new but nicely modified GB1 was $105 from a Blade Forums member via Face Book. There are some good deals to be had out there if you keep your eyes peeled.

As far as "if I had $400". I've already spent that a few times over in recent months so I'm about spent out for now. But if I was going to spend another $400 I'd probably add a little to it and buy a Nirvana.
You wouldn't regret it. ;)
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

Today maybe a Techno & Yojimbo. Tomorrow who knows really enjoying these knives. At some point a Slyz Bowie.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Military Green G-10, CTS204P. $200

Manix 2, CPM S110V, Dark Blue G-10 Handle. $138

Manbug Lightweight, Black FRN, PlainEdge. $45

What ever was left I'd put over the bar on the way home in celebration! Not that $17 would buy much celebration! ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
paladin

Post by paladin »

40th Anniversary Native, then whatever Spyder I could afford off a secondary mkt.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Hap40 Temperance2
BTG

Post by BTG »

If you mean throw away money, like someone just gave it to me, l'd get the Lum Tanto sprint from BBS....I don't particularly like tanto's but it looks kinda cool, I'd never use it, just add to collection...one of those, I like, but not enough to spring for the 399.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: And then spend the rest on some flat stock CPM-20CV and carbon fiber. :o
If you are planning to make Rhinos with CPM-20CV and CF, I am in. Still prefer polished dark green g10, but CF with Dodo finish will be fine :)
Hey, I like the sound of that. :D I have two Rhinos started (one in Z-FiNit and one in CPM-M4), so why not one in 20CV? ;) :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Whoa whoa whoa? Is this the signup thread for custom Rhinos? :D ;) Where do I sign up? :cool:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Z-FiNit also sounds interesting. No chipping and takes very fine edge. Stainless 52100 ;)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Whoa whoa whoa? Is this the signup thread for custom Rhinos? :D ;) Where do I sign up? :cool:
+1, I'm thinking custom forum Rhinos all around :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
BTG

Post by BTG »

But like the Bearfacedkiller said, this month, 5th, s110 Millie in mailbox, 9th, MaxaMet MT24, 11th, CF M4 PM2, 18th, K2, 24th, Chubby....if I was in Vegas....I busted..
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would get two of the Sprint/limited edition Military models.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I"ve got less than $180 imaginary dollars left :eek: because I just bought : Military Green G-10, CTS204P.

I wish people wouldn't start threads like this! :rolleyes:
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Stretch 2 Brown G10, and Sage 2.
JasonC6612

Post by JasonC6612 »

I'm a pretty poor individual so $70 for a knife is a lot of cash I could use for bills otherwise. My endura and cat broke me for a week lol so if I had 400, I'd buy the PM2 I hear all the raving about and use the rest for bills, family birthdays, bills... I'd pretty much save what's left over after I got a PM2. I plan to get one but not with my current job :( I'm pretty grateful for my Cat. To me, it's a sebenza. I've never held a better knife than my endura or cat. Is the upgrade from a cat or endura really worth the money? This is a serious question as I really would like to step up to the more expensive models at some point. So would a paramilitary be of better overall quality than say my cat or endura? God the addictions real. :D I'm trying to justify knife purchases I can't even afford yet lol
ヽ(•‿•)ノ
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

JasonC6612 wrote:I'm a pretty poor individual so $70 for a knife is a lot of cash I could use for bills otherwise. My endura and cat broke me for a week lol so if I had 400, I'd buy the PM2 I hear all the raving about and use the rest for bills, family birthdays, bills... I'd pretty much save what's left over after I got a PM2. I plan to get one but not with my current job :( I'm pretty grateful for my Cat. To me, it's a sebenza. I've never held a better knife than my endura or cat. Is the upgrade from a cat or endura really worth the money? This is a serious question as I really would like to step up to the more expensive models at some point. So would a paramilitary be of better overall quality than say my cat or endura? God the addictions real. :D I'm trying to justify knife purchases I can't even afford yet lol
Once you start getting into the $100+ range of spydercos (PM2, Sage, Mantra, etc.) it'll be even harder to resist.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

JasonC6612 wrote:I'm a pretty poor individual so $70 for a knife is a lot of cash I could use for bills otherwise. My endura and cat broke me for a week lol so if I had 400, I'd buy the PM2 I hear all the raving about and use the rest for bills, family birthdays, bills... I'd pretty much save what's left over after I got a PM2. I plan to get one but not with my current job :( I'm pretty grateful for my Cat. To me, it's a sebenza. I've never held a better knife than my endura or cat. Is the upgrade from a cat or endura really worth the money? This is a serious question as I really would like to step up to the more expensive models at some point. So would a paramilitary be of better overall quality than say my cat or endura? God the addictions real. :D I'm trying to justify knife purchases I can't even afford yet lol
The answer is yes...and no.

There is absolutely a quality difference between something like an Endura, and a Chaparral. That is to say, you don't wonder where the extra cost went. The materials and workmanship are higher for sure. This is why I say "yes."

However, will it matter to you? Will it make you happier with the knife? That might not be the case. You may buy a spyderco that's 3 times the cost of the Endura, which is totally justified, and yet, it may not bring you as much happiness. You still may find, although you fully appreciate and love the more expensive design, that the Endura keeps finding its way into your pocket. This is why I say "no."

It's like the question: "does money make you happy?" The answer is no, as long as you're able to meet your needs, richer people are not actually happier than "normies." This illustrates my point about spyderco knives. Any knife they make is above the threshold of quality, and will meet your needs, so from there it's just preference. I absolutely love my Ti chaparral, and in all ways it's a "higher end" knife than my Delica, but the Delica is my favorite knife to carry and use on a regular basis, and if it came down to choosing I would take the "lower end" knife.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Everything said above!
Another strange phenomenon is that when we buy the knife of our dreams we often don't truly enjoy it as much as we should because we paid a lot of money and it's too good to cut carpet with and we're not very good at sharpening. So we use the knife we've always used that we never can get very sharp. It happens to most of us to varying extents.

I'd say enjoy the two Spyders you have and cut plenty with them, keep them sharp and clean and rest assured my bling PM2 won't cut anything your Endura won't. ;)

Welcome to the madness! :)
napalmfriday

Post by napalmfriday »

The SpydieChef, Slysz Bowie and the Magnitude are currently at the top of my Spyderco want list.

A GiantMouse GM1 is on my non-Spyderco want list. :)