Spyderco's "Iconic Steel"?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco's "Iconic Steel"?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Would you say there is a specific and particular "Iconic Steel" that is "foundational" to Spyderco as a knife company, ie, a steel that is used on their blades that is known and inseperable from their company name and products, almost like the hole in the blade is, or, since new steel types and alloys come and go, there is no particular steel that is reknowned for their use of it?

If there is one, I would lean towards VG-10, because so many of their more current knives have been made with VG10 stainless steel blades. But, there are other steels Spyderco has come to be known for in their blades, that are very excellent, as well.
SG89

Re: Spyderco's "Iconic Steel"?

Post by SG89 »

H1
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
timlara

Post by timlara »

Spyderco's VG-10 really is all that I would ever reasonably "need" in a knife. After all these years, it still has a remarkably respectable combination of practicality, value and performance.

As far as the "exotic" steels, it would be interesting to compile a list of the ones that Spyderco was the first production company to use. (Maybe someone already has made that list...?)
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

VG-10 and maybe S30V? Both are used extensively.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Their steels constantly change and have for some time. Means to an end. They will continue to improve over time.
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

To be entirely fair, I think that this is a question that has to be answered historically.

In the beginning, there was GIN1. IIRC, this was the steel that built the empire that we know today. I had a GIN1 first generation Delica once upon a time (back in 7th grade, best Christmas present ever!), but I was too young and inexperienced with knives as a whole to understand what I really had in my hands, so I can't really speak to what the steel was truly like, but if it built the brand that we know today, then that alone is what could be considered "iconic."

There was also a brief period in which AUS-8 was the broadly used (and now terribly underestimated) steel of choice, but its day came and went in what feels like a rather short time. I see it used in more high-end models from other "economical" brands from time to time, but I hope that its place in Spyderco history is not so quickly forgotten.

The age of VG-10 is what seems to have lasted the longest, but it seems that S30V has garnered the same amount of respect and admiration within the brand as its Japanese counterpart. While, in recent years, Spyderco has become increasingly bold in experimenting with newer, more exotic steels, S30V and VG-10 seem to still be the bread-and-butter steels that draw the most attention.

Honorable mention to H1 for its monstrous contributions not only in corrosion resistance, but in work-hardenability.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

H1 -- especially serrated!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Gin1
VG10
S30V
H1
S110V

These steels have possibly propelled them the furthest?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

This is one of those 'relative' type questions- Where you got on the 'Spyderco Train' in the last 30 years.

For me, VG10 is the most closely associated steel with Spyderco- as it represented a revelation when I got my first Delica in this material, and 'turned me on' to all things Spydie.

I'd suggest that the answer from Spyderco's own perspective is not a static one- but the drive to have higher-than-average performance steels as the core of their range at all time while pushing the envelope of boutique new materials via the media of the sprint run ....
Today that might core-high-performance material might be S30v- Yesterday it was something else and tomorrow it'll likely be something different again.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I could make strong cases for both GIN-I and ATS-34. GIN-1 was either the actual first steel, or one of the two first steels, used by Spyderco. ATS-34 was the first steel they though highly enough of to identify on their blades and was used in many of their most expensive pieces, including the C15 and C19 Terzuolas, original CF C22 Walker, C27 Jess Horn. and 25th Anniversary Delica.

Still, given the number of steels they've used over the years, I don't really see any particular one as iconic unless my understanding of that term's meaning is flawed. However, by the OP's definition, G-2 would be the answer as it was Spyderco's proprietary name for GIN-1 and thus could only be associated with them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
paladin

Post by paladin »

When I think Spyderco, then my mind turns to their blade steels...VG10.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I am a recent Spyderholic so I tend to think of VG-10, S30V, and ZDP-189.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

I feel we are at the edge of change now.

S110V may well be the future.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

paladin wrote:When I think Spyderco, then my mind turns to their blade steels...VG10.
Yeah Paladin it is that simple>> VG-10 truly is Spyderco's "GO-TO", practical, EDC blade steel. I personally have more "user" blades in VG-10 than I do any other blade steel at this time. Personally I like it much better than S30V and H-1 myself. Oh yeah a case could be made for H-1 or even S30V to be Spyderco's flagship blade steel. But for that matter but I would bet there are many more VG-10 Spyderco knives that are hard user blades among our community than any other blade steel hands down>>trust me it's not even close.

Now Deacon makes an interesting point bringing up GIN-1. Because when I first started getting into Spyderco blades (1995) my first three Spyders were made with GIN-1 (G-2) blade steel. GIN-1 truly was their pioneering blade steel but it's gone by way of the buggy whip and tie-died T-Shirts :rolleyes: But I'm willing to bet that most people on this forum and especially those who joined after 2007 or so have no knowledge or very little knowledge about GIN-1 but I would bet that everyone on this forum is very well familiar with VG-10>> CASE CLOSED ;)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

There were earlier steels and have been later ones, but I still regard VG-10 as Spyderco's signature steel.

Why? Only because this steel was prominent when I got sucked in.

And, truth be told, as much as I enjoy being introduced to new steels, VG-10 is simply good enough for all my needs. And it's lovely to look at, especially in large slabs, like my Superleaf and Tatanka.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:There were earlier steels and have been later ones, but I still regard VG-10 as Spyderco's signature steel.

Why? Only because this steel was prominent when I got sucked in.

And, truth be told, as much as I enjoy being introduced to new steels, VG-10 is simply good enough for all my needs. And it's lovely to look at, especially in large slabs, like my Superleaf and Tatanka.
Great Points!! "wrdwrght" ;) Even their TEMP 2 model which is still considered to be one of their premium fixed blade models along with the Perrin Street Bowie and Perrin Streetbeat are all considered enviable blades that most people here would like to own>> and you guessed it they are all made with VG-10. It succeeded ATS-55 all the way back to the late 90s and it's never even been considered for replacement in the Japan made Spyderco models that I'm aware of.

Also it's been used in models all the way back to the first "MORAN" fixed blade model as well as the C-54 Calypso model. I believe both of those go back to the mid to late 90s as well. I seriously doubt if Spyderco made any other knives that tallied higher on the sales charts than VG-10 has over the years. Truly it's not even close.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Spyderco, as steel-centric and forward thinking as they are....

My vote goes to the humble VG-10 :spyder:
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Certain steels are going to represent different eras in Spyderco history, such as the older GIN1 and ATS-34 era.

But contemporary choices would be VG-10, ZDP-189, H1, and S30V. Perhaps S110V going forth as well.

Interesting footnote awards go to steels like ATS-55 and CPM-440V.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'd say VG 10 is what I think of usually. This company has really done the most in high performance knives setting many performance trends and this has affected how most of the large sport cutlery companies ( and knife stores) introduce and market new designs.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

VG-10 is the only answer.