"I would buy a new Yojimbo 2 Sprint with....???"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Midwest Diesel Tech

Re: "I would buy a new Yojimbo 2 Sprint with....???"

Post by Midwest Diesel Tech »

ZrowsN1s wrote:They look Good!
Thank you. Was a little hesitate about the blue hardware, but it's grown on me.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

I just wanted to thank you all for your enthusiasm for the Yo 2. It's a thrill to know that something I designed resonates so strongly with you guys. Thanks!!!

Stay safe,

Mike
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think my dream combo for this knife (today) is probably FFG and 3V/Cruwear. This combo would make an excellent utility combo, it would be tough as nails and the FFG would slice far better. Do it without any distal taper in the FFG and it'll have a nice stout tip that can really be used without fear of breaking it, and the whole package will still slice up a bad guy if needed.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mb1

Post by mb1 »

"I would buy a new sprint with..." ...my wife's permission?? ;)

Other than that, I'm pretty much with D ^^ above here. 3V would be cool and different, with the toughness helping tip strength (I think??), or even impact with hard bits in that unlikely but worst case intended use scenario. These seem to get a bit of EDC use...would love some 3V in a folder in general. Cruwear works too.

The latest exclusive got some yeah yeah's for both coyote/satin, and black/black color combo's FWIW.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:I think my dream combo for this knife (today) is probably FFG and 3V/Cruwear. This combo would make an excellent utility combo, it would be tough as nails and the FFG would slice far better. Do it without any distal taper in the FFG and it'll have a nice stout tip that can really be used without fear of breaking it, and the whole package will still slice up a bad guy if needed.
I would love to know Mike's opinion on a FFG without distal taper. I am VERY intersted in this. I get a little binding occasionally on the transition from the hollow grind to the spine of the blade when cutting things, I think a FFG would solve this with or without the taper. Though the lack of a distal taper is appealing because it would make it a little more robust for a wider range of EDC tasks without sacrificing too much MBC cutting ability (imho).
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Evil D wrote:I think my dream combo for this knife (today) is probably FFG and 3V/Cruwear. This combo would make an excellent utility combo, it would be tough as nails and the FFG would slice far better. Do it without any distal taper in the FFG and it'll have a nice stout tip that can really be used without fear of breaking it, and the whole package will still slice up a bad guy if needed.
I would love to know Mike's opinion on a FFG without distal taper. I am VERY intersted in this. I get a little binding occasionally on the transition from the hollow grind to the spine of the blade when cutting things, I think a FFG would solve this with or without the taper. Though the lack of a distal taper is appealing because it would make it a little more robust for a wider range of EDC tasks without sacrificing too much MBC cutting ability (imho).

I really don't see why it isn't done more often. The nature of the wharnie spine slope means it will still have a fine tip that is as thin as you run the FFG so it can be as stout or slicy as you make it. The Rock Lobster is a perfect example of this. The original Yojombo was FFG but had lots of distal taper which made for a fragile tip. If the Yo 2 was made without the taper it would be a far more versatile knife while still performing just fine at MBC.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I'm in for this for sure!! Any color scales other than smurf blue.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:.......

I really don't see why it isn't done more often. The nature of the wharnie spine slope means it will still have a fine tip that is as thin as you run the FFG so it can be as stout or slicy as you make it. The Rock Lobster is a perfect example of this. The original Yojombo was FFG but had lots of distal taper which made for a fragile tip. If the Yo 2 was made without the taper it would be a far more versatile knife while still performing just fine at MBC.
+1
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I would love to see a full flat grind, just because... :)

Absolutely nothing wrong with the present hollow model, I just like FFG...
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

I'd be interested in a LC200N/H1 sprint. Micarta would be nice too, but I doubt we'll ever see that option straight from the factory. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the Yo2 in its current configuration and doubt I'd feel the need to spend on most color/steel variations. A Lil Yojimbo, on the other hand...

I'll agree with others in here and say I really wish the Yo2 platform got as much attention as the PM2. Such a fantastic, underrated design.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.