"I would buy a new Yojimbo 2 Sprint with....???"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Re: "I would buy a new Yojimbo 2 Sprint with....???"

Post by Liquid Cobra »

ZrowsN1s wrote:g10 just feels better in the hand to me, gives me a lot of confidence in my grip, a personal preference. I've heard others complain about CF wearing poorly but never personally had a problem with it. And G10 comes in better colors. FRN gets 2nd with me because light weight/low cost and the widest color range.
My experience has been the opposite. G10 wears down from carry and becomes smooth. Carbon fiber with the same texture (peel ply) seems to retain its original gripiness forever.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Maybe I am a clutz but I have dropped a few of my knives on hard surfaces. G10 takes it quite well and is more durable than CF. I don't mind CF on classy knives and gents folders but for my EDC knives I cannot see paying a $50 or $60 markup for a material that is less durable. Especially when it has peel ply texture added which makes it look too much like G10.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

So I have been seriously looking at the Yojimbo 2 but would like it in a different steel also. Realistically, what are the chances of a sprint release sometime soon?
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Bugs wrote:So I have been seriously looking at the Yojimbo 2 but would like it in a different steel also. Realistically, what are the chances of a sprint release sometime soon?
I think the chances are good that we see another Yo2 sprint, its been at least 2 years since the S90V sprint and the Yo2 has a pretty solid fan base, at the very least I would like to see the S110V production release, maybe this winter sometime. I still think the perfect sprint would be a Cruwear/tan G10 sprint. :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

farnorthdan wrote:I still think the perfect sprint would be a Cruwear/tan G10 sprint. :)

I'd buy that. I really miss my M4 Manix 2's tan scales (though I also dyed them a darker khaki color).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

farnorthdan wrote:
Bugs wrote:So I have been seriously looking at the Yojimbo 2 but would like it in a different steel also. Realistically, what are the chances of a sprint release sometime soon?
I think the chances are good that we see another Yo2 sprint, its been at least 2 years since the S90V sprint and the Yo2 has a pretty solid fan base, at the very least I would like to see the S110V production release, maybe this winter sometime. I still think the perfect sprint would be a Cruwear/tan G10 sprint. :)
Im all for the cruwear, tan is probably my least favorite next to brown handles. Only reason I don't own a stretch g10, don't like the color. What about Dark Grey?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
benben

Post by benben »

Medium to dark gray G-10 scales with a tool steel, M4, Cruwear, etc.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

benben wrote:Medium to dark gray G-10 scales with a tool steel, M4, Cruwear, etc.
How do you feel about a tool steel clad in stainless?

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
benben

Post by benben »

Not sure, explain? I personally have yet to buy a laminated knife, HAP40, Superblue, etc. I really don't see the need for a blade steel like M4 or Cruwear to be cladded. What did you have in mind?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

benben wrote:Not sure, explain? I personally have yet to buy a laminated knife, HAP40, Superblue, etc. I really don't see the need for a blade steel like M4 or Cruwear to be cladded. What did you have in mind?
I have a Stainless clad HAP40 DFly, and a Super Blue DFly, 2 of my favorite steels. I also have un-laminated ZDP189 DFly and CPM-M4 Para2. I thought i would really like having an unlaminated tool steel like M4 (and I do), BUT, it is a Very corrosion prone steel, it will rust if you get regular old water on it and dont wipe it off in a timely manner. Because of this, I don't carry it as much as my more corrosion resistant blades. I find that the Stainless cladding on the HAP40 makes it easier to maintain the blade as you only have to keep an eye on the small unclad part of the lower bevel for rust spots and corrosion, it's just less area to clean. The cladding also prevents pocket patina on the blade; the spine of the blade where the spyder hole is, is still exposed and not covered by the handle while it's closed and in your pocket. This can lead to you sweating on the exposed part of the blade which if not clad leaves a patina outline of the handle on the blade, not a great look.

I prefer laminated because I plan on carrying this knife a lot, and i think it will be less maintenance than unclad tool steel. I also don't see a downside to laminated unless you don't like the way it looks. You get all the benefits and cutting ability of a tool steel, while gaining a good deal of wear resistance for most of the blade, and I think clad blades look cool :cool: If they make this in clad HAP40 i will be a very happy boy.

benben

Post by benben »

A lot of guys here love a patina, you just have to know whether or not you do before you buy a tool steeled knife. I own two M4 knives, don't own any Cruwear, yet. My Bradley's are easy enough to maintain and I've heard Cruwear is even more corrosion resistant than M4. Now Super Blue, that's a totally different conversation! I'm glad you love your laminated knives, heard awesome things about HAP40, the reason I named M4, Cruwear, even PD1 is that a lot of guys would use this knife as a EDC utility knive as well as a SD blade. My main reason for tool steel, first off is it's a sprint and second, to make the tip as strong as possible.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I'm baffled by the one scale color choice...like all the blurple S110V models. That's a sales limiter. It has kept me and many others from buying the S110V Millie for example. Sure, it's a little cheaper to procure one run of material, but it wouldn't be that much more to at least offer an alternative. It's only G10. I don't get it.

This thread just shows the obvious, that everyone has different preferences for color choices (and steels of course, but steel options are one of the great strengths of this company).
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
benben

Post by benben »

mb1 wrote:I'm baffled by the one scale color choice...like all the blurple S110V models. That's a sales limiter. It has kept me and many others from buying the S110V Millie for example. Sure, it's a little cheaper to procure one run of material, but it wouldn't be that much more to at least offer an alternative. It's only G10. I don't get it.

This thread just shows the obvious, that everyone has different preferences for color choices (and steels of course, but steel options are one of the great strengths of this company).
Yeah I said in a post a while back that it would be pretty cool if Spyderco had a special order dept where they set aside a couple models (say Golden built knives, Yojimbo, Manix, PM2, Military, N5) that you could order 4 or 5 different color scales, and maybe a couple different steels per model. So say I wanted that dark gray Yojombo 2 with Cruwear, pick up the phone and place the order! I know, I know, that's asking a lot of Spyderco but it does sound pretty cool.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

mb1 wrote:I'm baffled by the one scale color choice...like all the blurple S110V models. That's a sales limiter. It has kept me and many others from buying the S110V Millie for example. Sure, it's a little cheaper to procure one run of material, but it wouldn't be that much more to at least offer an alternative. It's only G10. I don't get it.

You can get standard delicas and enduras in just about any color, it would be cool if you could pick the steel too, but i understand Spydercos desire for sprint runs to be unique. People see that burnt orange handle, and (if they're cool) they know I'm carrying the HAP40 sprint. The exclusiveness adds value. People wouldn't still talk about the Bayou Shooter Endura, or the USN ladybug if you could get one in that color any time you wanted. There would be a lot less sprint runs commissioned. I get where you're coming from, but again, I like that when my friends and people in the know see that stainless steel pocket clip and blurple G10, they know it's an S110v Spyderco and that I have excellent taste in cutlery :rolleyes: . Don't overlook the value of exclusivity or uniqueness.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

ZrowsN1s wrote:

You can get standard delicas and enduras in just about any color, it would be cool if you could pick the steel too, but i understand Spydercos desire for sprint runs to be unique. People see that burnt orange handle, and (if they're cool) they know I'm carrying the HAP40 sprint. The exclusiveness adds value. People wouldn't still talk about the Bayou Shooter Endura, or the USN ladybug if you could get one in that color any time you wanted. There would be a lot less sprint runs commissioned. I get where you're coming from, but again, I like that when my friends and people in the know see that stainless steel pocket clip and blurple G10, they know it's an S110v Spyderco and that I have excellent taste in cutlery :rolleyes: . Don't overlook the value of exclusivity or uniqueness.
100% agree with this- the 'cool kids' know that a blurple Spydie is in a cool steel.....The muggles don't get it ;)

The flipside to consider with offering a colour and steel choice is the stockholding issue:
You need to have enough of each colour way and each blade steel laid into stock for demand.
Now instead of having one bin of scales- you've got 10 bins to manage.
It's also assuming 100% consistent year-round availability of the materials to do that.....We know from various threads with Sal's input that there have been times Spyderco haven't been able to source a particular grade of steel.

Let's do a little maths on to understand why it's so difficult to give people a 'pick-your-own-combo'
2 factors you can pick from on one model: Blade steel and handle colour-
Let's say there are 3 steels to choose from and 5 handle colours- reasonable right?
That's 2^8 combinations- or 256 different variants you have to have in stock- for ONE model.
Now you add plain edge, combo and full spyder edge and it's 768 :eek: .... (That's making the big assumption every steel works well in a serrated edge- and they don't)

Where do you put them all?
Do you risk it and keep a consistent stock of all 700 variants?
Or do you change your production methodology and only build to direct orders? And what happens when Jonny Knucklehead orders that combination of Glow-In-The-Dark G10 and Super Blue steel, when you've got none of either in stock and no view from your supplier of if they'll arrive...Do you take his money and fob him off with sliding delivery schedules?

In a nutshell- you change from being a production company to being a custom maker.....and we know how variable custom maker's delivery schedules can be.

(If you've ever ordered a new car, you'll know what this is like: you select the 'wrong' package of options and that delivery time goes from 6 weeks to 6 months.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
mb1

Post by mb1 »

demoncase wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:

100% agree with this- the 'cool kids' know that a blurple Spydie is in a cool steel.....The muggles don't get it ;)

The flipside to consider with offering a colour and steel choice is the stockholding issue:
You need to have enough of each colour way and each blade steel laid into stock for demand.
It's also assuming 100% consistent year-round availability of the materials to do that.....We know from various threads with Sal's input that there have been times Spyderco haven't been able to source a particular grade of steel.

Let's do a little maths on to understand why it's so difficult to give people a 'pick-your-own-combo'
Let's say there are 3 steels to choose from and 5 handle colours- reasonable right?
That's 2^8 combinations- or 256 different variants you have to have in stock- for ONE model.
Now you add plain edge, combo and full spyder edge and it's 768 :eek: .... (That's making the big assumption every steel works well in a serrated edge- and they don't)

Or do you change your production methodology and only build to direct orders? And what happens when Jonny Knucklehead orders that combination of Glow-In-The-Dark G10 and Super Blue steel, when you've got none of either in stock and no view from your supplier of if they'll arrive...Do you take his money and fob him off with sliding delivery schedules?

In a nutshell- you change from being a production company to being a custom maker.....and we know how variable custom maker's delivery schedules can be.

(If you've ever ordered a new car, you'll know what this is like: you select the 'wrong' package of options and that delivery time goes from 6 weeks to 6 months.
I get all that. I remain baffled.

I will patiently await some blah black, or something less toy-like in the color spectrum. ;)
- Mark

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

mb1 wrote: I get all that. I remain baffled.

I will patiently await some blah black, or something less toy-like in the color spectrum. ;)
toy like? ouch. Blurple is the best color g10 spyderco's ever made if you ask me :) But, I get that it's love it or hate it for most people. I have a silver lining for you... If as you say there are many people just itching to buy some s110v if only it came in a different color.... sounds like an excellent opportunity for some forward thinking business to commission a sprint run of s110v in a color of their choosing. And, it will be a valued and sought after collectors item i'm sure.

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

demoncase wrote:

you broke that down much better than me, thanks!

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
demoncase wrote:

snip
you broke that down much better than me, thanks!
No problem- blame 20 years of working in manufacturing Quality Assurance and many times having a similar question of " Why is there a 6 month lead time?- Why can't you keep all the iterations on the shelf for us?" too many times to mention ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
mb1

Post by mb1 »

demoncase wrote: Let's do a little maths on to understand why it's so difficult to give people a 'pick-your-own-combo'
This really isn't worth debating per se, but I like math problems and need a little diversion right now.

Mr Case, Sir, I believe you may be over-mathing this one. I think you're using permutation math there (??), and in permutations order matters, correct? In this case order doesn't matter, so you would have to discount the redundancies.

Looking at it logically:
Steel 1: 5 color choices = 5
Steel 2: 5 color choices = 5
Steel 3: 5 color choices = 5
Total? = 15

I believe it's that simple here. I sure can't find a way to stock more than 15 knives with those 2 choices, and my boss says it has to be done by tomorrow!!

Mark
- Mark