Native 5 or Sage 5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Marty_E

Native 5 or Sage 5?

Post by Marty_E »

I've been putting off purchasing my next Spyderco waiting on responses from a post I made in the forum regarding the Sage 3. This gave me time to look through the catalog. I came upon the Native 5 which to my uneducated eye looks similar to the Sage series. I really like the look of both these knives and see the utility in them for my needs. Not sure which one I should go with. Your thoughts?
Sharp Guy

Re: Native 5 or Sage 5?

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have several of each and both are great! Tough choice!
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sage 5!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It all comes down to personal tastes and preferences.

Native 5 takes up a bit less room in the pocket, since it has no "hump" at all, while the Sage series has a small one. The trade off for that is slightly reduced access to the Spyderhole.

Native 5 is fully ambidextrous, Sage 5 will have a handed lock. That would be a deal breaker for me, but not for most right handed people and some of my fellow southpaws.

Native 5 is available now while, AFAIK, the Sage 5's release date is still TBA.

Native 5 allows tip down carry, Sage series does not, but Sage series rides deeper in the pocket due to the wire clip.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I'd add that the Sage5, like its predecessors, will appear only in the S30V steel, since the purpose of the series is to highlight lock designs. The Native5 has come out in S35VN, S110V, and S90V (better than S30V to some here) and may come out in others (I'm rooting for M4 and 52100).

The Sage5 will feature Sal's own lock, but there are Native5s out there now.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I personally would get the Sage 5. I like the design better(YMMV), S30V is more than adequate as a steel, and I'd rather have the Compression Lock.
I'd say go handle a Para Military 2 if you can, and see how you like the lock, because that may well answer the question for you. If you don't like the CompLock but still want a Sage, the 1,2, and 3 are all still great knives. I also prefer the wire clip as well. The point about available steels is well taken, however; if that's a concern, the Native definitely wins on that count.

I personally prefer the leaf-shaped blades with the hump, both aesthetically and functionally as a thumb ramp. That's all totally subjective, of course. I also have no desire for tip-down carry, but if you do, go Native.

The Sage and Native are two different kind of products, in my opinion. The Native is part of a general product line with the Millie/PM2/Manix, similar to the Endura/Stretch/Delica/Dragonfly/Manbug/Ladybug family. Those all have sprint runs, and handle/steel varieties, whereas the Sages(and the Chaparrals in a similar fashion) are a more specialty product in purpose.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

IMO you should eventually get both. As for which one first....The Native is a fantastic design and you get a number of good variations to choose from. That said, this is a great time to be thinking of getting a new Sage. If I was saving my money to buy just one or the other I'd wait and get the Sage 5 with Sal's new lock when it arrives. There will always be Natives available and the longer you wait on the Natives the better the options seem to get. My 2 cents. :)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Marty_E

Post by Marty_E »

Thanks for the replies and recommendations. I'm leaning towards the Native 5. Primarily due to its available now and given the anticipated release of the Sage 5 it may be a while before I can have one in hand as I belive sales will outpace production. Once the feeding frenzy subsides I can then snatch one up. :)
ryguy76

Post by ryguy76 »

I was tossing those exact 2 around around, and then realized that I may not be patient enough to wait for the Sage 5. So was headed towards the Native 5 all the way, but got side tracked by the Sage 1 and 3 too. I didn't really want the Sage 1, due to the liner lock, which I had on 2 knives already and didn't own any compression locks. Wasn't sold on the CF pattern on the Sage 3, nor the fact that it was a bit beefier. Out of nowhere, the PM2 hit my radar. After watching many vids, I went to the knife store, handled the Native 5, Sage 1 and PM2. The PM2 came home with me, but the other 2 will be had eventually. Likely a Native next, and the Sage 5 when it's released.

I'd definitely consider the PM2. I've been thoroughly impressed with it, even though I wasn't overly fond of it when I first laid eyes on it, when I began collecting a couple months ago. It's awesome!
My Knives: Paramilitary 2 - Chaparral - Delica FFG - Dragonfly 2 (HAP40) - Tenacious - Crow 2
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

BTW, unless Spyderco changes its practice, the Sage5 will be a production knife, and thus reasonably available, when it becomes available, for at least a year or two, unlike most sprints and dealer-exclusives.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Both are great designs, as many have mentioned. I personally tend to lean more towards the Native5 over the Sage for a few reasons: Less leafy blade shape, more variety of steels, made in USA, and finally, the N5 is one of Spyderco's most highly evolved designs at this time.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Marty_E

Post by Marty_E »

Where can I find a comparison of blade steel? I like to learn more about CPM-S35VN and CPM-S110V
Last edited by Marty_E on Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
animportant

Post by animportant »

To me the sage 5 will be a mini para 2. I had the Sage 1,3 (blue), and 4.. Sold them all. Huge regrets.

Can't wait for the Sage 5. The ergos are just magnificent, love the thumb ramp. Adds so much to the user experience and handling!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I like both models, but the Sage 5 with its wire clip, comp lock and cf wins.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Marty_E

Post by Marty_E »

You folks aren't making it easy to come to a decision. :D
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I strongly prefer Native5. I do not like halfhump on Sages. For me either hamp like on Calys, Military and Para or no hump at all. I used to own Sage and Native5 feels better in my hand. And the last, but not the least Native5 is US made model, which gives me pride of ownership and satisfaction of supporting more US workers than goods made overseers. I own several Natives and love all of them. I would recommend to take a look on Ti Fluted model, it is more expensive, but contoured scales are even better in the hand than other Natives. Please understand me correctly. Any Native5 is great. My most carried and used knife is Native with flat scales and I absolutely love it.Ti Fluted is carried on weekends.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Marty_E wrote:You folks aren't making it easy to come to a decision. :D
It truly is a tough decision. The Native 5's and the Sages are both excellent IMO. If I was told I had to choose between keeping my Natives or Sages I think my head would explode trying to decide.

If you're set on a Native, I suggest you try a Native 5 LW S35VN. They're not as expensive as some of the other versions and If you don't already have a knife with FRN handles and bi-directional texturing you're missing out. If you like the knife and want to try the G10 version (also great) you can always add one to your collection sometime down the road if you choose.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would buy the 2015 Forum Native in S90V. It is a smoking deal and I really like the color.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I would buy the 2015 Forum Native in S90V. It is a smoking deal and I really like the color.
Unless you like navy blue more, than go for S110V LW. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Marty_E wrote:You folks aren't making it easy to come to a decision. :D
Options make commitments difficult. Spyderco has a ton of great options and that can make picking just one really hard. The great thing for you is, if either one of these knives didn't exist you'd get the one that does exist and love it. Either way you go here you're going to get a great knife! There is no wrong choice. We can all genuinely thank Spyderco for that!! In my experience, if you satisfy your "gut" you'll be satisfied with your choice. :spyder: :D :spyder:
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.