How fast will the M4/Jade Para2 sell out?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Poll ended at Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:51 am

1 day
36%
2 days
13%
3 days
11%
4 days
10%
5 days
7%
6 days
3%
7 days
7%
2 weeks
5%
3 weeks
2%
4 weeks
7%

Total votes: 61

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

There seem to be a lot of people who think that this one is gonna break the internet. I think it will go fast but that the jade color and non stainless steel may put a few people off. The past couple of exclusives haven't moved lightning fast but this one is priced very well. The release of the blurple may slow it down but they haven't exactly been readily available either. The HAP40 sprints and the 52100 Military sure seemed to move well. I guess we won't know until it's done and over but I thought it would be fun to speculate how long it will take. What say you?

I guess 5 days. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Re: How fast will the M4/Jade Para2 sell out?

Post by Surfingringo »

I voted 1 day. I might be buying into the hype too much...we'll see. Whoever voted 4 weeks, please pm me so I can lay a $100 side bet on the under with you. :p
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Tough to say. Considering the last PM2 exclusive took like 4 months to sell out, this selling out in 1 day would mean it sold like 150x faster than the last para. We'll see.
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

My guess is.. very fast. It's not unusual for limited stuff to sell out in hours on BHQ. Even regular PM2 used to sell out quickly. Add to that how long this one has been in the making, and how much promotion they did around it, I don't think it will last long. Even if some people are not a fan of the materials, I'm sure many will buy to flip just because it is so unique.

Personally, I already have the blurple and I'm still on the edge regarding non-stainless folders due to where I live and how humid my pockets get... Going to pass this one. I hope Spyderco does more natural G10 in the future, however, as it's my favorite G10 style. I really love my natural halperns
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

jalcon wrote:Tough to say. Considering the last PM2 exclusive took like 4 months to sell out, this selling out in 1 day would mean it sold like 150x faster than the last para. We'll see.
I don't know if this knife will sell out in a day, but I believe there is about a 0% chance of this knife still being available a month from now. We shall soon see...don't blink.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I voted 5. I think it gets through the weekend
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Really tough call. I think the fact that it's a PM2 and it's M4 will make it wildly popular with real Spyderco fans. I don't think the jade G10 and the M4 will get a lot of attention from the average knife buyer though. There's a TON of Spyderco fans so.....tough call. IDK??? I'm guessing 4 days.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Between the new MAP pricing policy bringing up the price of all Para2's closer to this exclusives list price and the years long request for an M4 Para2, I will be surprised if it lasts more than an hour assuming the site doesn't crash. Add into that the ability to purchase 3 per person and they could be sold out in as little as 400 orders.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm kind of relieved that I lost interest in the Para 2 (I know, shocking right?). On the other hand it kinda sucks because I need more M4 in my life.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I've just always preferred the Military to the Para Military.
But I'll bet those M4 Para's sell like hot cakes.
Also thankfull BHQ, will be doing a Military in M4.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Ferris Wheels wrote:Between the new MAP pricing policy bringing up the price of all Para2's closer to this exclusives list price and the years long request for an M4 Para2, I will be surprised if it lasts more than an hour assuming the site doesn't crash. Add into that the ability to purchase 3 per person and they could be sold out in as little as 400 orders.
Yep. I was about to post the same thing, but you beat me to it!

I think the "cool factor" of this one (including people who don't know any better misrepresenting / thinking it's GITD), combined with the much better than average marketing / organization of BHQ (heads up emails, front page ads, nice YouTube videos, etc), I think the main factor of how fast this sells out will be whether the web site can handle the load...I only see it going more than an hour or two if the site crashes. :D
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

I just don't like them not doing preorders. This mad rush at a very specific time limits the ability of some super PM2 fans to even get in due to work or travel etc. Why not take preorders and then let the masses mosh pit over the rest!?
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

timlara wrote:
Ferris Wheels wrote:Between the new MAP pricing policy bringing up the price of all Para2's closer to this exclusives list price and the years long request for an M4 Para2, I will be surprised if it lasts more than an hour assuming the site doesn't crash. Add into that the ability to purchase 3 per person and they could be sold out in as little as 400 orders.
Yep. I was about to post the same thing, but you beat me to it!

I think the "cool factor" of this one (including people who don't know any better misrepresenting / thinking it's GITD), combined with the much better than average marketing / organization of BHQ (heads up emails, front page ads, nice YouTube videos, etc), I think the main factor of how fast this sells out will be whether the web site can handle the load...I only see it going more than an hour or two if the site crashes. :D
It will be interesting to see how their site responds to the heavy traffic. All depends on their infrastructure. I wouldn't expect a few hundred simultaneous transaction to crash their system, but you never know. Has this happened with them in the past?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I hope that it will sell fast. People were asking about CPM M4 for a while. But I will not help this sale. Not my cup of tea.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
timlara

Post by timlara »

ejames13 wrote:[
It will be interesting to see how their site responds to the heavy traffic. All depends on their infrastructure. I wouldn't expect a few hundred simultaneous transaction to crash their system, but you never know. Has this happened with them in the past?
Not that I recall. And BHQ seems to have one of the nicer sites of the small business-ish Spydie dealers, so I don't expect any issues. Just putting it out there as the only reason I see these lasting more than a few hours!
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

So what's the number? 800? 1200?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The fact that it's M4 (non-stainless) and jade G-10 may not give everyone the warm fuzzies that one might expect. It will likely sell fairly well because Blade HQ has done a solid job of marketing and advertising the design--including the date/time of release. It will be hard to say how fast it will go until after things get underway. FWIW, I would've thought the Black/Orange (XHP) PM2 would've sold out in a few days, but it did not. Not by a long shot.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Faster than it should :p jk

Seriously, the hype-train is strong with the PM2. A great knife but PLENTY of M4 folders from Spyderco these days. If this launched a few years ago I would have traded a kidney for it...
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I voted 1 day, hope it last longer for those that have really been waiting on this one. I'm still undecided but I'm sure I will get sucked up into the hype like I always do :o
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

It could be over a week if it's a large shipment because M4 is not as rare from Spyderco these days. I think the PM2 has so many flavors now and is more easily available so it's not as in demand as it once was. Also, the 52100 and other sprints are spread around many places, which means they're still in stock at higher prices at smaller shops.